Man beats off thug on suburban train with ukulele

GreatGazukes

Reaction score
Well almost,

As is my want, I travel to a uke goup on the train. The trip takes about an hour and a half each way and I have often sat there with my uke beside me thinking, I could be practicing this dang thing rather than bored off my brain. So last night on the 10.00 train home, I noticed, mmmm train fairly empty...what the heck, pulled it out and started memorizing a tune...well a dude gets on the train (I knew he was a dude/thug cos he had a hoodie) and swaggers a mile up the train (one of those new fangled ones with the 3 carriages linked open) gets to a spot a seat in front of me (all the while I been eyeballing him and just kept on playing) turns around and parks himself well down from me.

A ukelele victory I thinks to myself. Heck I think I'm gonna do this more often......

Just sharing, lol

Now I want to hear a bagpipes/ukulele duet.

(Apologies in advance for any spewed coffee...)

I guess I'm just a little too much of a proofreader, and must be overly concerned with sentence structure, but I have to know...

Just how well did you know this thugs, and... What was the train doing with a ukulele?

(g)

He was probably scared to death by a nut-case with a ukulele !

Oi, that's MR Nut-case to you....:)

I guess I'm just a little too much of a proofreader, and must be overly concerned with sentence structure, but I have to know...

Just how well did you know this thugs, and... What was the train doing with a ukulele?

My bad, ummm Man with an ukulele beats a thug off of a train????

I was surprised that playing the ukulele on a train was accepted by the other folk on board and didn't cause comment or derision. Of course I was playing softly and the train was fairly empty, still I felt a bit trepiditious, as one does when doing something unusual for the first time.

Cheers

Last edited:
When the man walked in hitting the bass drum, I was laughing myself to tears. It's just so unexpected!

even when you know it's coming, it's still funny!

plus the hats are hilarious.

great stuff!

I had an experience which was sort of the flip side of GreatGazukes'. I got onto a near-empty tube train in London early on evening about 7 or 8 years ago. The train carriage was in three sections, thanks to two sets of doors a third and two thirds the way along the carriage. I sat down in the middle section; there was a young guy sitting exactly opposite me, and a few others in the outer sections. The train sat for some time before departure; as we sat there, more and more prople got onto the carriage, but almost all of them sat in the outer sections, leaving me and the young guy alone in the middle.

It gradually dawned on me that our fellow passengers were leaving a wide berth between themselves and us two, to the extent that people were standing up in the outer sections rather than sit down near us in the middle. It also dawned on me that he was (unusually) the only black guy on the carriage; as neither of us was in any way smelly or disreputable-looking, this may, sad to say, have been something to do with it, unless it was down to the fact that I'm a bit "Jewish looking" (apparently, and whatever that means; I can't be bothered asking). Anyway, we exchanged a look, and I could see he'd noticed we were being shunned.

He then pulled on the cord I'd thought was a duffel bag slung over his shoulder, and it turned out it was a ukulele! He started to play, and the atmosphere changed completely; our section started to fill up; people even requested the odd tune. He dealt with the situation with good grace, but it left a nasty taste in my mouth. The uke broke down barriers, but it was an unpleasant reminder how some folks choose to erect those barriers...

Top Bottom