Anybody have one of these? Thoughts on Electric Tenor Ukulele

Aloha Grekeal,
That looks really neat, wonder how they sound...nice price too...thanks forn the heads up!! Happy Strummings, MM Stan.

I read they were junk. but I can't remember where- in any event, the guy who was writing the blog was converting it to steal string Mag PU...let me see if I can find it

I haven't heard good things about this uke either.
And before you think it's cheap - look at the shipping.

I think it's better to go for an Eleuke, they're a well trusted brand, the quality is well known to be great and its around the same price.

Last edited:
Here is the thread that TCK may have been talking about: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ric-pickup-for-my-solid-body-steel-string-uke

His main gripe was the piezo sound (weak) on one of the strings....I also think he really wanted more of an electric guitar sound (my opinion). Usually weak piezo sound (on one string) is due to poor installation of the pickup under the saddle. Usually the saddle doesn't have full contact with the element. The bridge and saddle need to be sanded to the same plane for full contact. If there was sloppy installation, that may well have been the problem. I assume he was happy with other parts of the construction to go through the hassle and expense of doing a steel-string conversion. I'm not familiar with that brand of uke as I have never owned one...Just my impressions from participating in his thread.

Jon

Heh, heh. I recognize the seller - and his tile kitchen floor. This guy sells many different types of instruments - all cheap slapdash imports that look okay but I have never seen anything he imports get a positive review (mandolin, guitar, bass, and now ukulele forums).

These are made in indonesia/china/etc. instruments without the somewhat respectable quality you find in Kala, Lanikai, etc. Everything I've heard from people who actually bought an instrument from this seller indicates that they are basically toy/novelty quality.

John

From what I understand, these are a rip off of an early EleUke design that was not up to Philip's standards and got trashed. Apparently, the same factory that eleuke had a quality control problems with a few years ago stole the the design and started producing them anyway. Eleuke switched factories for a very good reason: they made terrible instruments. Also, even if this design was well made (as it was with some of the prototypes), Philip was never happy with how it sounded. Anywho, :confused: questionable factory + rejected design = buyer beware

Top Bottom