PDA

View Full Version : The Wizard of Oz

hoosierhiver
07-09-2008, 06:16 AM
I sometimes have crazy ideas that crack me up,this one I've got to throw out here.Yesterday I was daydreaming about a ukulele version of the Wizard of Oz with all the parts done by us ukulele kooks.I picture a 16 part youtube mini-series.Open call for casting suggestions,I only ask that Khillbilly Caldera be considered for the part of the flying monkeys.

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I love this idea! Was this really a daydream? Or was it a moonshine/pbr induced vision? Either way i like it. Would it just be the music covered uke style? or the whole damn production? Long distance? or shot in Indiana? If it's long distance....I want in!!!:D

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
i agree with booze. this sounds like an epic idea! i'd like to participate in any way possible. lollipop guild anyone?:)

hoosierhiver
07-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I think it could all be done long distance with good editing.Even a black and white beginning from imovie.The main characters would have the license to cover or change the tunes from the movie.So who's gonna play Dorothy?

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Yesterday I was daydreaming about a ukulele version of the Wizard of Oz...

Oh, bartender! I'll have what he's having!!! :D

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I dont remember which character sang "If I Only Had a Brain". But that tune is perfect for me! I think I could really play that from the heart.

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 07:16 AM
I dont remember which character sang "If I Only Had a Brain". But that tune is perfect for me! I think I could really play that from the heart.

The Scarecrow did "If I Only Had a Brain."

jjsdad
07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
i agree with booze. this sounds like an epic idea! i'd like to participate in any way possible. lollipop guild anyone?:)

Hey Russ! Are volunteering your dog to play Toto? :D

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey Russ! Are volunteering your dog to play Toto? :D

that didn't occur to me. i wonder if we could teach him to play an uke.:D

hoosierhiver
07-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Russ might end up as the director/producer,what ya think Russ?:worship:

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Russ might end up as the director/producer,what ya think Russ?:worship:

haha, i think have nary the talent or skills to accomplish something of this scale. i suck at editing. i will however help you out in anyway possible to get this project going. if only for the line-producer credits.:D or key-grip. or best boy. or any of those other titles at the end of a film that i have no idea about.:confused:

deach
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
haha, i think have nary the talent or skills to accomplish something of this scale. i suck at editing. i will however help you out in anyway possible to get this project going. if only for the line-producer credits.:D or key-grip. or best boy. or any of those other titles at the end of a film that i have no idea about.:confused:

I think "fluffer" is the title you were looking for.

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I think "fluffer" is the title you were looking for.

oomf! i should've seen that one coming from a mile away.:D

deach
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
oomf! i should've seen that one coming from a mile away.:D

nice choice of words considering.....

hotnanas
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
...deach FTMFW! where do you come up with all this?

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
nice choice of words considering.....

haha, too good man. too good.:rofl:

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
this thread made my my morning worth waking up to.

this is the best delusional idea I've ever heard!
or were you really asleep.

confused.

either way.
it still made my morning worth waking up to
:)

nikolo727
07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
im the lion cuz im big and hairy.

:D

jk this is a pretty sweet idea!

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Deach! you out did yourself this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I guess I could put my film degree to use for a change. But It is hoosierhiver's brain child. I'm not sure I have my head around the whole concept. Plus, like Heather, I justs woke up. But let me know if i can help. (I think it CAN be done)

deach
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I guess I could put my film degree to use for a change. But It is hoosierhiver's brain child. I'm not sure I have my head around the whole concept. Plus, like Heather, I justs woke up. But let me know if i can help. (I think it CAN be done)

AHA!!! I knew you two were sleeping together!!!!

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
AHA!!! I knew you two were sleeping together!!!!

Hey i'm not the one who is an expert on Russ's fluffing ability!

deach
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey i'm not the one who is an expert on Russ's fluffing ability!

jealous ?

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
jealous ?

Maybe.

(this thread took a sharp turn toward the gutter - and for those of you who don't know what the role of the "fluffer" is, Deach will be more than happy to explain it to you)

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
*loud cough*, soooooooo back the OP, booze has the edit skills. hoosierhiver's got the great idea. deach has the snappy one-liners. are we going theatrical with this? or is it going to be a collection of Wizard of Oz covers? i can try putting together a list of songs and a sign up sheet.

deach
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
*loud cough*, soooooooo back the OP, booze has the edit skills. hoosierhiver's got the great idea. deach has the snappy one-liners. are we going theatrical with this? or is it going to be a collection of Wizard of Oz covers? i can try putting together a list of songs and a sign up sheet.

I'll be responsible for supplying the poppies.

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
i would be more than willing to help with this. though, so far as mentioned.. apparently the only thing i have been mentioned for is sleeping with people.

i dont know about anyone else.
but that reputation via this project
i just dont like.

:uhoh:
hahahha

ahhhhh man

adellethegreat
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM

I would pay to see that. Both of you- in costume- singing that song. Oh yes. :rock:

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I would pay to see that. Both of you- in costume- singing that song. Oh yes. :rock:

this just means this project NEEDS to happen, now. :)
yes.. yes it does.
becuase im counting on seeing this thing happen.

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
so Heather and Adelle, are you guys going to ro-sham-bo for Dorothy? or you guys splitting up as good/wicked witches?:D

jjsdad
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
The site: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/hills/6396/ozfromaz.htm

Lists the following songs:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Munchkinland
Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead!
Lullabye League and Lollipop Guild
Follow the Yellow Brick Road
If I Only Had ...
Optimistic Voices
Merry Old Land of Oz
If I Were King of the Forest
The Jitterbug

I thought Tip-Toe Through the Tulips was in there somewhere...

Oh, wait those were poppies.. :)

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
you beat me to it jjsdad! well here's the list i compiled along with some of the players needed. its almost the same list, but i'm sure i'm missing something in there. please update with any corrections:

somewhere over the rainbow - dorothy
munchkin land - glinda good witch, dorothy, munchkins
ding dong the witch is dead - munchkins
lullaby league
lollypop guild
follow the yellow brick road - glinda good witch, wicket witch, dorothy, munchkins
if i only had a brain - scarecrow, dorothy
we're off to see the wizard - scarecrow, dorothy
if i only had a heart - tin man, scarecrow, dorothy
if i only had a nerve - lion, tin man, scarecrow, dorothy
if i were king of the forest - lion
courage - lion, dorothy, scarecrow, tin man

RON<>VA
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
The main characters would have the license to cover or change the tunes from the movie.So who's gonna play Dorothy?

I vote for deach to play Dorothy. Way back in the closet you'll find the dresses. (please keep it a secret)

hoosierhiver
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
What about "We're off to see the Wizard",that's a good tune.I think it's got to be theatrical and musical.As for me,it was my brain child,but I don't have any editing or such skills to contribute.I planted the seed,now it's up to you guys to nuture it, water it,watch it grow and then cut it down and smoke it.My vote for Dorothy goes to Gocatdave and his dog Elvis as Toto,(who says Dorothy can't be a crossdresser).

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I planted the seed,now it's up to you guys to nuture it, water it,watch it grow and then cut it down and smoke it.

Yeah, I definitely want to have what hoosierhiver's having! :D

deach
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I definitely want to have what hoosierhiver's having! :D

I agree. Example - Khillbilly Caldera?? Gocatdave??? I think he thinks he's on a different forum. I've never seen those names here.

Please pass the poppies.

hoosierhiver
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Khillbilly Caldera is my band's name.We are on Youtube,as is Gocatdave.

studentaccount1
07-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Bobby McFerrin did the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

It is probably on youtube.

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
so Heather and Adelle, are you guys going to ro-sham-bo for Dorothy? or you guys splitting up as good/wicked witches?:D

i'll take any part you guys give me

deach
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Khillbilly Caldera is my band's name.We are on Youtube,as is Gocatdave.

Does this mean you won't pass the poppies?

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Bobby McFerrin did the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

It is probably on youtube.

i looked it up on youtube and man was it annoying. i couldn't make it through the half of it before closing the window.:eek:

14twelve
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
This project sounds fun!! I'd love to be part of it, and will take any part you want to give me (no fluffing though.. I don't even know what that means, but it's not sounding good!) :confused:

... I can't sing at all either, so anything that doesn't involve singing. :D

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
This project sounds fun!! I'd love to be part of it, and will take any part you want to give me (no fluffing though.. I don't even know what that means, but it's not sounding good!) :confused:

... I can't sing at all either, so anything that doesn't involve singing. :D

awesome Michelle! glad you can help out. now if we can only figure out the logistics of this whole project. we need some of that special hoosierhiver mind enhancer. deach, you gets those poppies yet?

uke142464
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I think it could all be done long distance with good editing.Even a black and white beginning from imovie.The main characters would have the license to cover or change the tunes from the movie.So who's gonna play Dorothy?

shot dorothy.... sooooommmmmeeee whhherrreee!!!! OOOoovverrr the rraainbboowww!!!

uke142464
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
shot dorothy.... sooooommmmmeeee whhherrreee!!!! OOOoovverrr the rraainbboowww!!!

or maybe I should just be a dwarf/midget/small person, whatever's politically correct

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I sometimes have crazy ideas that crack me up,this one I've got to throw out here.Yesterday I was daydreaming about a ukulele version of the Wizard of Oz with all the parts done by us ukulele kooks.I picture a 16 part youtube mini-series.Open call for casting suggestions,I only ask that Khillbilly Caldera be considered for the part of the flying monkeys.

wizard of oz used to scare me when i was young... for some reason, but wizard of oz ukulele.... to me, it downgrades the reputation of ukulele haha i hate wizard of oz to much

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
wizard of oz used to scare me when i was young... for some reason, but wizard of oz ukulele.... to me, it downgrades the reputation of ukulele haha i hate wizard of oz to much

awww that's not right.
i was a HUGE fan of the wizard of oz. i knew the whole movie by heart, and used to sing along with it.

then again, that was what i did with MOST musicals.
but i still think wizard of oz was my favorite.

i collected the little toy figurines. you know, the wax & plastic molds of all of the characters.

i'm sure i still have some, somewhere.
:cool:

glenda (the good witch) was my favorite

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
awww that's not right.
i was a HUGE fan of the wizard of oz. i knew the whole movie by heart, and used to sing along with it.

i collected the little toy figurines. you know, the wax & plastic molds of all of the characters.

the main reason why i hated it was because they kept singing!! arrrgh i couldn't stand it... i always remember it being dark through the whole movie, it probably isn't... but thats how i remember it.

14twelve
07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
awww that's not right.

I think Wizard of Oz was my favourite childhood movie too. It's the one I remember the most, anyway. That and E.T. :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I think Wizard of Oz was my favourite childhood movie too. It's the one I remember the most, anyway. That and E.T. :)

oh i remember it alright, i remember every single thing that happens hahaha i seen it 1000 times... most people have and im not sure why? but i hate sing alongs... the quality one i watched sucked hard :music:

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
i remember the first time I saw it. I must have been like 3 years old. and Dorothy was in her room, and the house was spinning up in the twister, and that bitchy neighbor lady rode by on her bicycle and then all of a sudden, she turned into a witch, riding a broom!!! And to this day I remember running out of the room balling! I was terrified!!! But it's ok now....Im finally over it.

14twelve
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
i remember the first time I saw it. I must have been like 3 years old. and Dorothy was in her room, and the house was spinning up in the twister, and that bitchy neighbor lady rode by on her bicycle and then all of a sudden, she turned into a witch, riding a broom!!! And to this day I remember running out of the room balling! I was terrified!!! But it's ok now....Im finally over it.

LOL! Scary stuff for a three year old :)
I can't remember how old I was when I first saw it. Pretty young though. Actually, I saw "Journey back to Oz" before I saw "The Wizard of Oz". I don't remember being scared but still remember crying over the elephant trampling on the mouse!

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
LOL! Scary stuff for a three year old :)
I can't remember how old I was when I first saw it. Pretty young though. Actually, I saw "Journey back to Oz" before I saw "The Wizard of Oz". I don't remember being scared but still remember crying over the elephant trampling on the mouse!

awww

i dont think i remember being scared at the wizard of oz. at all
then again,
i'm pretty macho.

;)

Plainsong
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I was scared, I'll admit to that. I also felt sad for the witch who had the house fall on her. I thought the good witch was mean to be happy about that. Victor Flemming had a good year that year.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-12-2008, 01:40 AM
i turned the tv to channel 9 and it was on... coincidence =O

Plainsong
07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I was just discovering a lasting love of animals, so I was very upset and angry, not at the mean woman trying to take Toto, that's what mean people do. I was angry that the aunt and uncle were just going with it, and that Dorothy wasn't attacking the woman was beyond me.

And I've not changed much. I was told about such things, that I'd understand when I was an adult, but I'm happy to say that I'm an adult and things like that make me feel exactly the way it did then.

hellojodi
07-15-2008, 10:22 AM
It WOULD take something like this to get me to stop lurking.
I would totally dig playing Glinda, though I already have the costume for Dorothy. Shoot, I actually think I still have something that would work for Glinda. Whoever ends up playing anyone ever, talk to me about costumes. (Used to do hair/costumes/stage manage/act/direct community theater)

I was so obsessed with this movie as a child my parents had someone record the entire soundtrack of the movie onto cassette. I wouldn't sleep in my own bed without it playing.

hotnanas
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I would totally dig playing Glinda, though I already have the costume for Dorothy. Shoot, I actually think I still have something that would work for Glinda. Whoever ends up playing anyone ever, talk to me about costumes. (Used to do hair/costumes/stage manage/act/direct community theater)

I was so obsessed with this movie as a child my parents had someone record the entire soundtrack of the movie onto cassette. I wouldn't sleep in my own bed without it playing.

Welcome to UU!

Boozelele
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Ok, it's totally your project now. You are the director/producer...run with it. I think we worked it out where Russ was the mayor of Muchkin Land, Deach was Dorothy, and Hoosierhiver's Band were the flying monkees. All other roles still need to be filled...(except for toto, that was Russ's dog)

russ_buss
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok, it's totally your project now. You are the director/producer...run with it. I think we worked it out where Russ was the mayor of Muchkin Land, Deach was Dorothy, and Hoosierhiver's Band were the flying monkees. All other roles still need to be filled...(except for toto, that was Russ's dog)

yes! Jodi, please breathe life back into this project. i think Boozelele was the tin man that needed a new liver or something of the sort. anybody still interested in this?

oh and welcome to the underground. glad this got you out of lurking:)

Boozelele
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=russ_buss;46961]yes! Jodi, please breathe life back into this project. i think Boozelele was the tin man that needed a new liver or something of the sort. anybody still interested in this?[QUOTE]

I can hear it now..."if i only had a liver".....hahaha, I love it! :D

salukulady
07-15-2008, 11:24 AM

I was so obsessed with this movie as a child my parents had someone record the entire soundtrack of the movie onto cassette. I wouldn't sleep in my own bed without it playing.I had it on a set of vinyl....how weird. Wonder where those records are now....Welcome to the madness, hellojodi! I like your tuning trick on the other thread for stretching the strings.....

14twelve
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
anybody still interested in this?

I'm still interested if there's anything I can do that doesn't involve singing :)

lovemissheather
07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
yes! Jodi, please breathe life back into this project. i think Boozelele was the tin man that needed a new liver or something of the sort. anybody still interested in this?

oh and welcome to the underground. glad this got you out of lurking:)

definitely still interested! i'm all for this project!

russ_buss
07-16-2008, 04:38 AM
very cool. maybe we should just move forward with calling dibs on who wants what. here are the song choices again:

somewhere over the rainbow - dorothy
munchkin land - glinda good witch, dorothy, munchkins
ding dong the witch is dead - munchkins
lullaby league
lollypop guild
follow the yellow brick road - glinda good witch, wicket witch, dorothy, munchkins
if i only had a brain - scarecrow, dorothy
we're off to see the wizard - scarecrow, dorothy
if i only had a heart - tin man, scarecrow, dorothy
if i only had a nerve - lion, tin man, scarecrow, dorothy
if i were king of the forest - lion
courage - lion, dorothy, scarecrow, tin man

we could do this like hoosierhivers original suggestion where it's just a series of videos as opposed to one edited piece. might make it easier for us to deal with in portions. some of the songs can be done as virtual duets much like boozelele and i did with the neil young tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_leZS5-7eAs). or if that's too much work, a single person can take on the whole song and somehow make it work. you are a creative bunch so i'm sure it will work out. if you don't want to sing, you can tab out and perform an instrumental version of the song. the sky's the limit, yes?

step one, call dibs on what song you want to participate in. step two, correct my logistics as listed above. step three, drink a beer (minors can have jolt cola). step four, get your dorothy outfit on and record!

this is by no means the final word. so if you guys have any crafty ideas about how we should go about this, please chime in.

thanks for reading!

deach
07-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Is Jolt still around? That was some good/bad stuff.

adellethegreat
07-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Is Jolt still around? That was some good/bad stuff.

Yes, & they even make Jolt gum now. 2 pieces = 1 cup of coffee. Scary.

hoosierhiver
11-07-2008, 04:33 AM
With the awesome powers of UCB available,I suggest we kick this idea around some more,who's in charge of handling the first tune?

russ_buss
11-07-2008, 06:57 AM
With the awesome powers of UCB available,I suggest we kick this idea around some more,who's in charge of handling the first tune?

thanks for bringing this back from the dead, HH!

first song, somewhere over the rainbow. hmmmm, we need a girl who exudes innocence, charm, and can pull off ruby red slippers. how about deach?:confused:

UKISOCIETY
11-07-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks for bringing this back from the dead, HH!

first song, somewhere over the rainbow. hmmmm, we need a girl who exudes innocence, charm, and can pull off ruby red slippers. how about deach?:confused:

As Toto?
:rolleyes:

nikolo727
11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
yes! deach has already showed us dat he is sexy as a chick with red lipstick!

either that or i think deach should be the lion...just cuz i think the lion is the coolest and therefore deach should be number one for it.

salukulady
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I've always viewed deach as the wizard.......

Spuash
11-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Ill step up and take the part of the lion? i can sing and play... i jsut need chords

hoosierhiver
11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Deachy Dorithy,what do you think Deach?
There's alot of songs in that movie,so maybe several people can play the same part in different tunes,did that just that make sense?

Maybe a tag at the end of each Wiz-tune.
I'm part scarecrow on my dad's side by the way.

Boozelele
11-08-2008, 05:29 PM
can we do the porn version? is there ukulele porn? if not, why not? :confused: