Lecturing about Uke in World Geography class today....

mendel

Reaction score
I am explaining the concept of Movement of ideas, people, goods, and I am using the Ukulele to do it. I am explaining the origin in Portugal, how it got to the islands, as well as how similar designs have appeared in countries across the globe such as the Charango in Bolivia and Peru. Im playing a bit for my classes on my instruments, and we are listening to Iz, Jake, and some other ukulele music throughout the day. I'm smiling more than usual this morning....

Mendel

Great idea, you are likely to inspire many to start playing.

Something that I find interesting is that even though the Portuguese took their instruments with them around the globe, and modern variants still exist in Brazil, Cape Verde, etc., some special combination of people and passions seems to have occurred in Hawaii. Not only did it quickly become the national instrument of the islands, but as it spread, so too did that passion.

Hey, South Florida, do you get a lot of Senior Commnity Uke gigs?

You could start a business playing, selling, teaching ukulele to various Communities...
and spread the Aloha from there throughout the world! Just a thought.

Wow! What a neat thing to look forward to and to pull off.

Let us know how blown away your fellow students were when they heard what a uke can sound like
in the right hands!

Hope you get an 'A' out of it.

Keep uke'in',

I am sure that your students will love it! I sure hope it goes well for you! Please give us a report when you finish your day.
I know for me, it would have made my day more interesting to have teachers like you... plus I think they will continue to come to your class excited to learn! Good luck and have fun!

That's great, I want to be in your class.
DAP

WOW! That would make school bearable for sure. Great idea!

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize that you were the teacher!

I thought you were doing a presentation for credit!

OK, so now, you can steer just about any topic toward the ukulele.

See if the kids can figure out what you're doing.

By the end of the year they'll all have 'ukulele' on their minds.

And, according to 'Inception' once an Idea is planted and takes hold
it could really make an impact on the life of a person.

It's NOT brainwashing. It's creative advertising. lol

Keep uke'in',

Hurry Mendel.. open a ukulele shop... by summer they will all want one! then you will have plenty of strummers for your group!!

I am explaining the concept of Movement of ideas, people, goods, and I am using the Ukulele to do it. I am explaining the origin in Portugal, how it got to the islands, as well as how similar designs have appeared in countries across the globe such as the Charango in Bolivia and Peru. Im playing a bit for my classes on my instruments, and we are listening to Iz, Jake, and some other ukulele music throughout the day. I'm smiling more than usual this morning....

Mendel

I always incorporate the uke and pohoing into my lessons. This was a mathworkshop lesson using the Ahnko Honu thread:
66973_443669310207_593995207_5370740_7530815_n.jpg

and here is the word problem:)
66919_443669205207_593995207_5370738_5966325_n.jpg

Ok. So the lesson was awesome. In fact, one student of mine is a guitarist. He's been playing for a few years, about 4, and although he is not Santana, he is extremely talented and knowledgeable. He came by to have a little jam session after school. We especially had fun playing Ah-ha. I played rhythm, while he played some chords and did some soloing over the chords I was playing. I'm sure it sounded better as we were playing than it did in real life. Regardless it was fun and we plan to do it once a week. We will also invite some other kids that play instruments to join in. He said he loved fiddling around with my Uke. He may get one in the future, so we may have a new person in the tribe...

Ok. So the lesson was awesome. In fact, one student of mine is a guitarist. He's been playing for a few years, about 4, and although he is not Santana, he is extremely talented and knowledgeable. He came by to have a little jam session after school. We especially had fun playing Ah-ha. I played rhythm, while he played some chords and did some soloing over the chords I was playing. I'm sure it sounded better as we were playing than it did in real life. Regardless it was fun and we plan to do it once a week. We will also invite some other kids that play instruments to join in. He said he loved fiddling around with my Uke. He may get one in the future, so we may have a new person in the tribe...

Gotta start small:) I knew you were working on your PhD. but what level do you teach? College or high school?

That's fabulous Mendel.. So glad that your lesson went so well and that you got a great impromptu jam session!

Thanks Guys!!! I teach High School. I've been trying to get a position as an Adjunct Professor at any online university but I have had great difficulty. I should complete my Dissertation within a year or so. I'm studying Industrial and Organizational Psychology.

Thanks Guys!!! I teach High School. I've been trying to get a position as an Adjunct Professor at any online university but I have had great difficulty. I should complete my Dissertation within a year or so. I'm studying Industrial and Organizational Psychology.

I understand. I have been trying to secure an adjunt position at some local JCs and Some online unis. If I get an in, I'll let ya know how:)

Top Bottom