Matt finish care?

strumsilly

Reaction score
Just got a Kala KA-C and I it has a matt finish, although it looks like it has no finish at all. I have other [ more expensive ] kalas and the matt on them is different. this really looks / feels like raw wood. I feel kike I could scratch it easily with my fingernail. Is there antyhing I can apply that would give it more protection, something like johnson's paste wax or something?

I read the posts here on oiling your uke ,and I'm confused at all the conflicting info. I almost feel I'm better off doing nothing, but the wood [ i know it's lam] looks so fragile, but really pretty for a cheap uke. It sounds and plays pretty good too.

I would never use wax on any finish, as if you need to do repairs or refinish...you willn never get all the wax out and you may have finish problems....use a polish, either guitar or auto with no wax..

It sounds to me that they have applied some sort of oil finish that has very little build, thus no gloss.

It really depends on what you are expecting out of a finish. And of course your playing style and the type of wood it is etc. etc. etc. If you are looking for a bit more build, then you could use some drying type oil like Danish or Tung. Don't know what brands you have available locally, but in Australia one of the best places to find things like that are in the Floor finishing section of the local hardware store.

Simple as wipe on a very thin coat and let dry. Usually for about 12 hours or overnight. Followed by another, and another, and another until you get the finish that you are looking for. You might like to give the finish a light rub back with 0000 steel wool or equivalent after a couple of coats and then again before the last.

Burnish up with an old cotton t-shirt or towel and she'll look a treat.

Top Bottom