PDA

View Full Version : What a start...

Pete Howlett
01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Back to the workshop after an agonising 2 weeks with a continued trapped nerve in my spine and waiting for me was a returned uke with lacquer cracked in cold weather, a soprano uke whcih had 'jumped off' hanging hook in sprayshop for the 3rd time!!!! and cracked the side, side-bending blankets playing up (ended up hand bending 4 soprano sets in 2 hours...) etc. Sometimes this job is good :) Like this:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/PeteHowlett/HarpukeANN.jpg

Uncle Leroy
01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Pete, that one looks very nice.

Gmoney
01-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Back to the workshop after an agonising 2 weeks with a continued trapped nerve in my spine and waiting for me was a returned uke with lacquer cracked in cold weather, a soprano uke whcih had 'jumped off' hanging hook in sprayshop for the 3rd time!!!! and cracked the side, side-bending blankets playing up (ended up hand bending 4 soprano sets in 2 hours...) etc. Sometimes this job is good :)

Sory about the "trapped" nerve - that sounds painful!! Will be interesting to hear what you do about cold weather caused finish cracks - been seeing a lot of that reported lately & wondered how a master deals with it.

Pete Howlett
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Strip it off and respray.... there is a 'fumigation' technique which involves building a 'tent' and then some pretty heavy mojo involving very toxic solvents but we ain't going to go there. If you want to read about this sort of stuff the finishing manual by Geore Franzc (think that's his name) is the one to go to.

RyanMFT
01-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear about the troubles Pete! However, your work on that uke is just beautiful. Hoping your nerve improves...

Pete Howlett
01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Not my work - I have licensed the design...

Allen
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
It's Gremlins that come in at night and knock those things off the hooks Pete. You can't see the little buggers, but just occasionally you will see their shadow out of the corner of you eye just as the instrument hits the floor.

....FWIW I've got at least one of them living in my shop too.

Love the look of that harp uke. Please post pictures when it's complete.

thistle3585
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Strip it off and respray.... there is a 'fumigation' technique which involves building a 'tent' and then some pretty heavy mojo involving very toxic solvents but we ain't going to go there. If you want to read about this sort of stuff the finishing manual by Geore Franzc (think that's his name) is the one to go to.

For a few lacquer cracks you can brush on butyl cellosolve. Its basically a lacquer retardeer but it will seep in to the cracks and re melt the lacquer. Then you can spray and level sand without stripping it bare. I've never tried spraying it on a whole instrument, and the last time I had that happen I stripped it bare. I think Frank Ford shows how to do it on his website.

mzuch
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
For a few lacquer cracks you can brush on butyl cellosolve.

Hmmm. Would this also work to remove pick rash from a guitar top with a nitro finish? Where can I buy some?

zwwizard
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I wonder if it could have been some Menahunies? I bet Chuck could tell us about them. Ducking and running.

mm stan
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Aloha Pete,
Real Nice...gee wonder how it sounds with that second soundhole...thanks for sharing...MM Stan...

thistle3585
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Hmmm. Would this also work to remove pick rash from a guitar top with a nitro finish? Where can I buy some?

I don't think you want to use this for anything but cracks. I understand pick rash to be scratches and light ones can be buffed out and deep ones can be filled . level sanded and buffed. Its fairly expensive stuff and highly toxic.