Homeless Man with Golden Voice Get's 2nd Chance

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
I was going to put this into the Gen Discussion thread but I thought everyone should see this story that has developed over the last 2 days. It's truly amazing.

Play this one first.

Nice story, glad to hear he changed his life around and was given a second chance...and his mother gets to see his turnaround success...I'm Happy for the guy...hope he keeps on tract...

Power of 12 Steps in action.

Awesome, been watching the story since it first aired. He is getting many many job offers!!! The real hero in all of this is not the big corporations throwing money at him (so they can make more) but the guy who stopped and took the video and posted it.

Saw him this morning. I like his outlook. He has gotten a TON of offers but is looking for a place where he can have an apartment and a home so he never goes downhill again. So he is going to be the voice for the Clevland Cavalers and just go Kraft Macarroni and Cheese commercials on the side! So I am glad he is really being mindful of what he is ready to do. Neat story!

Now, he is the voice of Kraft macaroni and cheese. He is not "signed" with the Cavs yet. He wants to keep things as simple and easy as possible rather than trying to accept every offer that has suddenly come his way. As someone living in Columbus, Ohio... I hope he succeeds and remains clean and sober.

thanks Colmes for sharing this mate...down here in Australia we hadn't had word of this story. It just brings home to me what an awesome God we have...it was great to hear Ted giving credit where credit is due: just praising Him the whole way through! And in my own life, the Lord did a similar work on me...pulled me, a wasted and wrecked man, out of the darkest of holes and shone a light in my way. God just loves putting broken stuff back together again. :)

Last edited:
Sadly, I know many men who have similar voices (I'm in the radio business) who never did drugs, never ran away from their family and children, and can't get decent jobs in radio. This guy has a good voice, and deserves a second chance, but I don't know how much he deserves the huge amount of money he's purportedly making now.

/debbie downer

>>>>Sadly, I know many men who have similar voices (I'm in the radio business) who never did drugs, never ran away from their family and children, and can't get decent jobs in radio. This guy has a good voice, and deserves a second chance, but I don't know how much he deserves the huge amount of money he's purportedly making now.<<<<

THANK YOU so much for finally saying that, Alan. I've been watching this thread from the wings for a few days, biting my tongue not to chime in and risk being pounced on for not going with the general flow.

Let me qualify my opinion by stating that I, too, am involved with voice-over talent, having run a company that produces telephone "on-hold" programs for 27 years. My current talent roster includes TV and radio voices from all over the US, all of whom are ALWAYS looking for additional work. Interestingly, the male voices I'm having the hardest time trying to sell these days are the ones with the so-called "Voice of God," exemplified by Ted Williams, the formerly homeless guy getting all the attention. In fact, I receive an average of two calls per week from male announcers who sound just like Ted, all of whom are crawling all over each other to get a few of my dopey little $75 gigs. It's pretty hard to tell these guys who have trained their vocal chords for so many years that the majority of my clients prefer "average," non-polished voices these days.

Anyway, as you noted, these voice talents have stayed in the game for decades, relentlessly pounding the pavement for work, even when they had steady gigs on radio or TV. They have been able to maintain a fairly decent quality of life by being responsible, being on time for work, and always being in top-notch form when called upon to voice a spot.

Now, having been very closely involved with a number of alcoholics and drug addicts throughout my life, I absolutely understand that addiction is an illness that deserves to be treated the same way cancer or any other disease would be. I do not look down upon addicts/alcoholics and I do not judge them to be inferior to anyone else. Ted Williams deserves a shot at being a successful voice-over actor...however, he does NOT deserve a BETTER shot at it than any of the millions of other voice-over actors who were waiting tables and singing at Bar Mitzvahs to survive while he was getting high and begging tourists for quarters.

The saddest part of this whole thing is that what many have called a "miracle" or "the generous, selfless acts of people in the media" amounts to no more than slick TV, radio, and Madison Avenue types latching on to this guy's story to boost ratings, tug at the heartstrings of viewers, and, perhaps, satisfy their 2011 quota for good deeds to offset their guilt for drawing such huge salaries while the streets are filled with people like Ted Williams. Make no mistake. There is NOTHING in this for Ted Williams as far as all the teary-eyed journalists on TV are concerned. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that the same people who get all misty on camera when telling his story go home and curse him out to their spouses because he's suddenly getting some of the most coveted voice-over work in the world.

The other very sad part of this is that we're once again pounding our children and grandchildren with the message that success, fame, and riches are all about creating havoc, stirring controversy, and making people feel sorry for you. It's American Idol all over again. You can be a mediocre talent, at best, but if your girlfriend left you the day of the audition, you got pregnant at 14 and have been raising a child working at McD's for ten years, or you're an ex-con just released from the slammer, people will vote for you and make you the next overnight sensation. Then they will drop you the minute someone sexier and potentially more of a troubled tabloid sensation comes along.

My hope for Ted Williams is that he doesn't become another Susan Boyle, because the fall from grace for an alcoholic/addict is much tougher than for you and I. Mostly, I hope he understands that NO ONE out there - not the talk show hosts, not the newscasters, and not the talent agencies - has his best interests as their priority.

Again, please do not interpret this as homeless bashing or any kind of judgment about where this man has been. My fury comes from watching people skyrocket to fame and fortune over the years, not because they have perfected their craft, but because they make for juicy gossip. Wait'll you see what the tabloids do to Ted Williams over the next few weeks...

Good points. I also think that he should seriously think about getting some counseling. After the life he has led and the sudden notoriety and massive changes in his life, he may need guidance in staying on track. This will be especially true once he is no longer the hot news item.

>>>>Sadly, I know many men who have similar voices (I'm in the radio business) who never did drugs, never ran away from their family and children, and can't get decent jobs in radio. This guy has a good voice, and deserves a second chance, but I don't know how much he deserves the huge amount of money he's purportedly making now.<<<<

THANK YOU so much for finally saying that, Alan. I've been watching this thread from the wings for a few days, biting my tongue not to chime in and risk being pounced on for not going with the general flow.

Let me qualify my opinion by stating that I, too, am involved with voice-over talent, having run a company that produces telephone "on-hold" programs for 27 years. My current talent roster includes TV and radio voices from all over the US, all of whom are ALWAYS looking for additional work. Interestingly, the male voices I'm having the hardest time trying to sell these days are the ones with the so-called "Voice of God," exemplified by Ted Williams, the formerly homeless guy getting all the attention. In fact, I receive an average of two calls per week from male announcers who sound just like Ted, all of whom are crawling all over each other to get a few of my dopey little $75 gigs. It's pretty hard to tell these guys who have trained their vocal chords for so many years that the majority of my clients prefer "average," non-polished voices these days.

Anyway, as you noted, these voice talents have stayed in the game for decades, relentlessly pounding the pavement for work, even when they had steady gigs on radio or TV. They have been able to maintain a fairly decent quality of life by being responsible, being on time for work, and always being in top-notch form when called upon to voice a spot.

Now, having been very closely involved with a number of alcoholics and drug addicts throughout my life, I absolutely understand that addiction is an illness that deserves to be treated the same way cancer or any other disease would be. I do not look down upon addicts/alcoholics and I do not judge them to be inferior to anyone else. Ted Williams deserves a shot at being a successful voice-over actor...however, he does NOT deserve a BETTER shot at it than any of the millions of other voice-over actors who were waiting tables and singing at Bar Mitzvahs to survive while he was getting high and begging tourists for quarters.

The saddest part of this whole thing is that what many have called a "miracle" or "the generous, selfless acts of people in the media" amounts to no more than slick TV, radio, and Madison Avenue types latching on to this guy's story to boost ratings, tug at the heartstrings of viewers, and, perhaps, satisfy their 2011 quota for good deeds to offset their guilt for drawing such huge salaries while the streets are filled with people like Ted Williams. Make no mistake. There is NOTHING in this for Ted Williams as far as all the teary-eyed journalists on TV are concerned. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that the same people who get all misty on camera when telling his story go home and curse him out to their spouses because he's suddenly getting some of the most coveted voice-over work in the world.

The other very sad part of this is that we're once again pounding our children and grandchildren with the message that success, fame, and riches are all about creating havoc, stirring controversy, and making people feel sorry for you. It's American Idol all over again. You can be a mediocre talent, at best, but if your girlfriend left you the day of the audition, you got pregnant at 14 and have been raising a child working at McD's for ten years, or you're an ex-con just released from the slammer, people will vote for you and make you the next overnight sensation. Then they will drop you the minute someone sexier and potentially more of a troubled tabloid sensation comes along.

My hope for Ted Williams is that he doesn't become another Susan Boyle, because the fall from grace for an alcoholic/addict is much tougher than for you and I. Mostly, I hope he understands that NO ONE out there - not the talk show hosts, not the newscasters, and not the talent agencies - has his best interests as their priority.

Again, please do not interpret this as homeless bashing or any kind of judgment about where this man has been. My fury comes from watching people skyrocket to fame and fortune over the years, not because they have perfected their craft, but because they make for juicy gossip. Wait'll you see what the tabloids do to Ted Williams over the next few weeks...

This is what I meant to say! :)

>>>>This is what I meant to say!<<<<

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, UKI. I've just been storing up the frustration for a few days and finally had to let it out!

Anyway, the guy looks a lot like President Obama and could probably do a great voice impersonation of him, too. I wouldn't doubt he will be on SNL any day and might take the gig away from the so-so guy who does him now.

January 12: Ted Williams has checked himself into rehab. There are no shortcuts, my friends.

Top Bottom