MUST GO: Sprucehouse SO

pdxuke

Reaction score
THIS UKE IS SOLD.

I am offerring here a well made, well built quality soprano. Read about Sprucehouse Ukes here. These are US made, hand crafted instruments.

I'm selling because I've just purchased a Kiwaya KTS-4, and with that purchase have found the modern all wood instrument for me. I am now concentrating on vintage soprano ukes.

The uke has an all wood top ( a sustainable variety of mahogany) and a very thin, wonderful laminate on back and sides. It is a beautiful instrument, and you can see the stock photos on the Sprucehouse website. I have photos below, but they really don't do the instrument justice.

It is in like-new condition. I've had it about a year, and played it lightly.

I would compare it favorably to a Kiwaya KS-1, which I also have--the laminate is similar--light and beautiful. I would say the Sprucehouse wood top adds a bit of sustain to the sound over the all laminate Kiwaya. But as far as build, and look (fashioned after the old Martin O) and value, if you've been thinking of a Kiwaya Laminate, you'll get a step up with this instrument because of the all wood top.

I have a sound sample for you here. http://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/sprucehousetest

Take this into your home for $165 shipped CONUS. You will not regret adding this instrument to your collection; it's a hard decision for me to sell it.

PM here or email pdxbray@gmail.com Sorry, not trading at this time.
PAYPAL works for me. Include your paypal email in your PM so I can invoice you.

FS: Sprucehouse S-O. Build date 12/16/09
CONDITION: Almost as new
DESCRIPTION: Features: Laminated Sapele (mahogany family) back and sides, solid Sapele top, fingerboard and bridge of ebonized select hardwood, Aquila Nylgut strings and standard friction tuners. In other words, a high quality, super light laminate side and back, and solid hardwood top. Finished with a hand-rubbed oil varnish. 11 oz. total weight.
Included is gig bag.
REASON FOR RE-HOMING: Making way for Kiwaya KTS-4. But I have played and loved this uke. Quality instrument.
PRICE: $175 shipped CONUS
PICS:

SOUND SAMPLE: http://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/sprucehousetest
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
To be clear (in response to a PM) the price of $165 includes a gig bag and shipping CONUS.

Here's a sound check comparison of this uke with a Kiwaya KS1 (also compare the KTS 4 to KS1). I think the Sprucehouse edges out the KS1, as it should, because of the all wood top.

But you can judge for yourself.

http://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/kiwaya-ks1-kts4-and-sprucehouse-so

This may be a subjective question, but what is the action like? Is it fairly low at the 12th fret? I think MGM sends his stuff out with a 2.5mm clearance at the 12th, but might be mistaken. I only ask because I have an MGM-setup Makala Dolphin that plays like a dream (just doesn't project a lot).

Action

This may be a subjective question, but what is the action like? Is it fairly low at the 12th fret? I think MGM sends his stuff out with a 2.5mm clearance at the 12th, but might be mistaken. I only ask because I have an MGM-setup Makala Dolphin that plays like a dream (just doesn't project a lot).

Without measuring, and just eyeball, the action on my MGM dolphin and on this Sprucehouse looks identical.

dolphinaction.jpgspruceaction.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

It's funny, but the more questions I answer, the more sound comparisons I do, the more I begin to wonder why I'm selling this uke!

Oh wait--the other ten I have--that's why! :eek:

They do look pretty much the same. I'm starting to close in on double digits myself! These little ukes are addictive, aren't they?

They do look pretty much the same. I'm starting to close in on double digits myself! These little ukes are addictive, aren't they?

Haha. You know it!

But really, looking at your list of ukes, I think this Sprucehouse, at this price, would fit your collection well.

Thanks for your interest!

Top Bottom