Rhythm of the Rain

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Sat on my sofa yesterday, I thought I would record something. This song came to mind.

I am playing my Howlett Custom Tenor.

Rhythm of the Rain

It was written in 1962 and first performed by The Cascades. In 1999 it was listed as the ninth most performed song on radio/TV in the 20th century.

Very nice rendition, the sound of the uke is amazing to, what did you do to process it? It looks unplugged.

Cheers

Aloha Ken, great playing and a great song, it's one of my favorites!!! Can you post the tab???

Thanks!

Aloha Ken,
Nice job again, sweeeet...is that you own arrangement????Just love that song too....wish I could play it as good as you, well to be truthful, I haven't put much effort into it...I should because
I like it so much and You give me the insiration to do so....Thanks again, Happy Strummings!! and Starting suggestions with it???? MM Stan...

Very nice Ken!! I am always impressed with how many songs you can play from memory. Also very impressive the studio sound you apply to your playing. Keep them coming :) Lozark

Beautiful. And thanks for the bit of trivia about the song.
Roxhum

Aloha Ken,
Nice job again, sweeeet...is that you own arrangement????Just love that song too....wish I could play it as good as you, well to be truthful, I haven't put much effort into it...I should because
I like it so much and You give me the insiration to do so....Thanks again, Happy Strummings!! and Starting suggestions with it???? MM Stan...

Not really an arrangement, Stan. Just making it up as I go along. I have never played it on a uke before.

Stunning and so sweet and soothing.. Thanks for sharing with us...

Thanks. My Howlett has a really sweet tone. It is a tricky instrument to play though.

Very nice Ken!! I am always impressed with how many songs you can play from memory. Also very impressive the studio sound you apply to your playing. Keep them coming :) Lozark

It is not really from memory, Lozark. If I did it again it would be totally different. That's why i like to get it in one take. If I have heard the song, I can usually play it. The notes I am playing are not from memory though - I have never played it before. This is useful, because it means that I can play a song that I know in any key.

Beautiful. And thanks for the bit of trivia about the song.
Roxhum

I usually check Wikipedia when I cover a song. Thanks.

Nice arrangement Ken. Since we're talking about this song, here's the 2005 version of Rhythm of the Falling Rain. I think John Gummoe's voice has so mellowed with age and sounds so much better than the original.

I know that John Claude wrote it, and as such he can do anything he wants with it, but the 2005 version is diabolical. I agree that his voice has mellowed, but the backing is horrible. Sounds like something you might have heard on a run-down cruise ship in the '70's. I personally would much prefer the simple honesty of the original.

I like both versions Ken, but the more I listen to the 05 version, it just kinda grows on me. I guess I like the more contemporary mellowness of it. BTW Ken, have fun at NAMM.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, I like that song and can understand why it has been covered as much, (thanks for that info btw).
Did you do that from memory? Beautifully played.
DAP

Thanks Ken, I like that song and can understand why it has been covered as much, (thanks for that info btw).
Did you do that from memory? Beautifully played.
DAP

I remembered the tune from about 30 years ago when I used to play it on an electric piano in a 5 piece dance band. But on the uke, I was just making it up.

I've always loved that song, I think I'll avoid listening to the 2005 version.

If PBS has taught me nothing else it's taught me that I prefer not hearing guys still singing songs they were famous for 50 years ago. LOL

John

Ken, great as usual. Your version has a nice "bounce" to it.

Amazing job Ken, I loved it!

I've always loved that song, I think I'll avoid listening to the 2005 version.

If PBS has taught me nothing else it's taught me that I prefer not hearing guys still singing songs they were famous for 50 years ago. LOL

John

I don't either. It always seems a bit sad. But I suppose it is the audiences that want to hear them. And no-one complains when McCartney sings Yesterday.

Ken, great as usual. Your version has a nice "bounce" to it.

Thanks Leroy. Bounce is good.

Amazing job Ken, I loved it!

Glad you liked it, Tim.

Thanks!

Dreary winter days, and I'm looking for new tunes to learn. I saw your video, and recalled how much I like that song. Now I'm having fun working it out for myself. Your rendition is very nice, indeed!

jeff

Top Bottom