PDA

View Full Version : Koaloha D-VI<SOLD>

WhenDogsSing
01-07-2011, 04:41 AM
I am selling my new Koaloha D-VI because I can not get used to the neck and can use the money for other ukulele-related wants. I just bought this instrument in December but have not fallen in love with it for that reason only. It is a very well made and beautiful instrument and sounds absolutely wonderful. I can furnish a sound sample if you are interested. Action is nice and low and there no buzzes, no issues. It is in mint, as new condition. I am asking $800. and I will pay shipping in the CONUS. Includes a black semi-hard padded case.

I accept and prefer PayPal.

Skitzic
01-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Ooohh...very nice. Sounds very balanced.

Dane
01-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Aw sad to see that your selling your D-VI, ours are brothers. I recommend this uke to anyone who has been interested in a guitalele. Or for anyone who plays guitar and ukulele this is a great instrument to have in your arsenal. I have a few soundclips of mine as well on my youtube, it sounds the same as the OPs. I have to agree that the workmanship is really top quality, the thing is also extremely lightweight and very balanced. I personally really love how the neck feels, and especially how the finish feels on my hands. According to KoAloha you can use any normal tension classical guitar strings on it, just a tip.

Good luck selling friend, and I hope you'll make videos of whatever you get next =)

WhenDogsSing
01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Aw sad to see that your selling your D-VI, ours are brothers. I recommend this uke to anyone who has been interested in a guitalele. Or for anyone who plays guitar and ukulele this is a great instrument to have in your arsenal. I have a few soundclips of mine as well on my youtube, it sounds the same as the OPs. I have to agree that the workmanship is really top quality, the thing is also extremely lightweight and very balanced. I personally really love how the neck feels, and especially how the finish feels on my hands. According to KoAloha you can use any normal tension classical guitar strings on it, just a tip.

Good luck selling friend, and I hope you'll make videos of whatever you get next =)

Thanks for the good words Dane...I just wasn't able to play certain chords on it with my playing style. I'm a thumb-wrapper when it comes to making barre chords up the neck and the Koaloha neck just doesn't lend itself for that, if that makes sense.

thingsabove
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I understand the difficulties with accustoming oneself to a wider neck than normal...

One of my basses is an 8 string bass-guitar hybrid called an NS/Stick. It took some time to get used to a neck that felt like a 2x6. You may want to give your instrument some time and see if your playing style can adjust. That looks like a beautiful instrument you have.

Picture of my NS/Stick (http://www.stickist.com/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=442)

Lori
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, you are tempting me very much. What is it these days... I am trying to be good, but so many ukes are coming available at the same time that I feel kind of guilty about it. A Mainland banjo uke is to arrive today, I have a custom mya-moe resonator to come early February, and that 5 string tenor from Ohana might be finally available. But, I have been eyeing all the guitarleles for two years now, and had figured the Koaloha might be the one for me. I haven't played one in person though. I would have to make a visit to a UU member in the SoCal area to test it out (anyone want company... Dane, SailingUke?). I am definitely not a thumb wrapper, but I don't own any KoAlohas yet, so I don't know about the feel of the neck. What is the finish like on your D-VI? It looks like maybe it is slightly glossy. I know the KoAlohas have different degrees of glossiness, and I was wondering where on the scale this one is.
–Lori

WhenDogsSing
01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Well, you are tempting me very much. What is it these days... I am trying to be good, but so many ukes are coming available at the same time that I feel kind of guilty about it. A Mainland banjo uke is to arrive today, I have a custom mya-moe resonator to come early February, and that 5 string tenor from Ohana might be finally available. But, I have been eyeing all the guitarleles for two years now, and had figured the Koaloha might be the one for me. I haven't played one in person though. I would have to make a visit to a UU member in the SoCal area to test it out (anyone want company... Dane, SailingUke?). I am definitely not a thumb wrapper, but I don't own any KoAlohas yet, so I don't know about the feel of the neck. What is the finish like on your D-VI? It looks like maybe it is slightly glossy. I know the KoAlohas have different degrees of glossiness, and I was wondering where on the scale this one is.
–Lori

Hi Lori...:) I am aware you have been looking at guitarleles for a while now. Isn't it awful to be tempted like this? I wanted a D-VI for a long time and it may have been a better route for me to take by trying out one in person before I pulled the trigger but...I didn't and so, this one's for sale now. And YOU can be the proud owner...!!!

Koaloha's web site calls the finish "high gloss". I'm sure they don't use polyurethane like so many makers do these days. It is probably a nitrocellulose lacquer thinly applied.

BadLands Bart
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh man that uke sounds sweet!!! I can't afford it, but are you sure you really want to sell it, you play it so beautifuly!!!

WhenDogsSing
01-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh man that uke sounds sweet!!! I can't afford it, but are you sure you really want to sell it, you play it so beautifuly!!!

Thanks for the compliment...It's a sweetie for sure...:)

Lori
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Lori...:) I am aware you have been looking at guitarleles for a while now. Isn't it awful to be tempted like this? I wanted a D-VI for a long time and it may have been a better route for me to take by trying out one in person before I pulled the trigger but...I didn't and so, this one's for sale now. And YOU can be the proud owner...!!!

Koaloha's web site calls the finish "high gloss". I'm sure they don't use polyurethane like so many makers do these days. It is probably a nitrocellulose lacquer thinly applied.

I am going to NAMM, so maybe I will see one there. I have promised myself that I won't buy a high end guitarlele or uke unless I have played it first. That is keeping me from going too UAS crazy. So, if I can get some hands on experience, you might have yourself a serious buyer. It might take a little time though...

Dane
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't know what their special finish concoction is, but I really like it. I've never had a finish be so comfortable to my hands before.

molokinirum
01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice uke and you play it very well! I would bite at it if I was not worried that my wife would smash it over my head!!
Good luck in selling it! (Is the singing dog included?)

WhenDogsSing
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Nice uke and you play it very well! I would bite at it if I was not worried that my wife would smash it over my head!!
Good luck in selling it! (Is the singing dog included?)

I understand your situation with your better half. Thanks for the compliment. There are times when I would gladly give dear Harley away (I have lots of stories about Harley) but the answer is no, he's not included...!!!

Plainsong
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Ah man, I wish I had some money. My husband likes the sound of these, and he wants to concentrate on Spanish stuff. Well if he did that on a classical guitar - talk about wide fret boards! That and he's pro-uke, but doesn't want to learn all over again with 4 strings. This for the sound and feel would be a no-brainer.

Come on, someone snap it up!

WhenDogsSing
01-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Price reduced to $900. I will pay shipping within CONUS.

olgoat52
01-08-2011, 06:38 AM
I need me a singing dog. What do you use for a string set on that uke and how is it tuned?

WhenDogsSing
01-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I need me a singing dog. What do you use for a string set on that uke and how is it tuned?

There are many times when I would gladly move Harley on to another home but, all things considered, I guess I'll keep him...!!!

Just kidding of course, he is a real sweetheart even though he does have some issues...!!!

The D-VI is tuned ADGCEA. I don't know what brand of strings it has on it, it has the original strings as installed by Koaloha.

Dane
01-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't know what brand of strings it has on it, it has the original strings as installed by Koaloha.

"Aloha Dane,

We use a combination of LaBella flamenco strings for the bass and our own flurocarbon for the treble. You can actually use any normal tension classical guitar strings for the D-VI model.

Hope this helps.

Mahalo,

Brian K. Benavente
Customer Service Manager
Journeyman"

WhenDogsSing
01-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Price reduction...$850. and I will pay shipping within CONUS. PayPal accepted.

FromTheWayside
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
The uke sounds great, and your playing is wonderful as well. It stinks you have to sell it, but hopefully you'll find something that better suits your needs. For my part, this uke is basically my holy grail right now, but it's well out of my price range. I hope it goes to a warm, happy home though! ^^

Dane
01-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Hows this goin for you WhenDogsSing?

I'm having a hard time right now and I may have to try to tell my D-VI soon too =( Hope it doesn't come to that though

fergs1
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Greetings whendogsing, I'm a thumb wrapper as well and just wanted to ask with regard to the mele guitalele you have how does it fare as fAR AS thumbwrapping goes cheers fergs

iDavid
01-12-2011, 11:51 PM
What pick are you using?

Sounds very cool indeed!

WhenDogsSing
01-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Greetings whendogsing, I'm a thumb wrapper as well and just wanted to ask with regard to the mele guitalele you have how does it fare as fAR AS thumbwrapping goes cheers fergs

The Mele lends itself very well to that style of playing. I can barre chord up the neck with no problems. I set my Mele up with low action and it plays like a dream. The D-VI is set up with low action and plays great in all ways except for the bass notes I just can't seem to wriggle out of it when I barre chord. Hope this helps.

WhenDogsSing
01-13-2011, 02:45 AM
What pick are you using?

Sounds very cool indeed!

I'm using a Jim Dunlop .38mm nylon pick (very thin). Thanks.

WhenDogsSing
01-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Hows this goin for you WhenDogsSing?

I'm having a hard time right now and I may have to try to tell my D-VI soon too =( Hope it doesn't come to that though

Gosh Dane, I sure hope you don't have to sell yours. Try to keep it if you can.

Dane
01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Gosh Dane, I sure hope you don't have to sell yours. Try to keep it if you can.

I know =( I love my D-VI

But seeing as that I have 2 guitars, it will probably be the first thing to go if money gets too tight

LoMa
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Does any one know the measurement of the nut and also how wide the string spread is at the saddle?

Many thanks!

WhenDogsSing
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Does any one know the measurement of the nut and also how wide the string spread is at the saddle?

Many thanks!

The nut is 1-15/16" wide and the string spacing at the saddle is 2-1/8"...Hope this helps.

iDavid
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Is it prone to neck dives? Somewhat would be Okay...

marymac
01-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Neck dives?

Dane
01-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Neck dives?

I'm not sure what that is either

WhenDogsSing
01-15-2011, 05:05 AM
If you let go of the neck when playing, yes, it does a neck dive.

Lori
01-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Uke Leash to the rescue!

–Lori

marymac
01-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Thank you! Now I get it.

Dane
01-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Hmm, I think it's rather balanced personally. The neck has more weight than a normal uke naturally, but with very light pressure from my right arm, it doesn't fall at all. The D-VI is very very lightweight, I was amazed the first time I picked it up.

casarole45
01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Neck dives are the least of worries, whilst playing live I had a bass guitar strap break at the back sending a heavey weighted headstock into my face. Fairly embarasing not to mention painful, since then I've been a fan of the heavey neck/light body =D

WhenDogsSing
02-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Price reduced...again...$800. and I will pay shipping within CONUS.

iDavid
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Where is the link of you playing this uke????

WhenDogsSing
02-11-2011, 04:06 AM
This thread has been going for a while. The posting originally had a link to my YouTube channel but I deleted the link somewhere along the way. I can furnish a sound bite if you are interested.

iDavid
02-12-2011, 03:24 AM
I am really surprised this uke hasn't sold, as the price drops it does getting very tempting.

Lori
02-12-2011, 05:33 AM
You might think about trying a Guitar Forum too.
–Lori

Dane
02-12-2011, 06:16 AM
It really is an amazing instrument, and 800$ is a killer deal.

I have some sound clips of mine, which was build in the same batch as this one. Mind you the audio quality of the recorder is not the best, but it should help you some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOlHLhYdX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEg8DfT3Uc

WhenDogsSing
02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Appears this is now sold...If the prospective buyer changes their mind, I will list it again at a later time.

marymac
02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Yay! I've been watching this for weeks. Glad you found a buyer!