Koaloha D-VI<SOLD>

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
I am selling my new Koaloha D-VI because I can not get used to the neck and can use the money for other ukulele-related wants. I just bought this instrument in December but have not fallen in love with it for that reason only. It is a very well made and beautiful instrument and sounds absolutely wonderful. I can furnish a sound sample if you are interested. Action is nice and low and there no buzzes, no issues. It is in mint, as new condition. I am asking $800. and I will pay shipping in the CONUS. Includes a black semi-hard padded case.

I accept and prefer PayPal.

Attachments

• 100_2646.jpg
    100_2646.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_2645.jpg
    100_2645.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_2644.jpg
    100_2644.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Ooohh...very nice. Sounds very balanced.

Aw sad to see that your selling your D-VI, ours are brothers. I recommend this uke to anyone who has been interested in a guitalele. Or for anyone who plays guitar and ukulele this is a great instrument to have in your arsenal. I have a few soundclips of mine as well on my youtube, it sounds the same as the OPs. I have to agree that the workmanship is really top quality, the thing is also extremely lightweight and very balanced. I personally really love how the neck feels, and especially how the finish feels on my hands. According to KoAloha you can use any normal tension classical guitar strings on it, just a tip.

Good luck selling friend, and I hope you'll make videos of whatever you get next =)

Aw sad to see that your selling your D-VI, ours are brothers. I recommend this uke to anyone who has been interested in a guitalele. Or for anyone who plays guitar and ukulele this is a great instrument to have in your arsenal. I have a few soundclips of mine as well on my youtube, it sounds the same as the OPs. I have to agree that the workmanship is really top quality, the thing is also extremely lightweight and very balanced. I personally really love how the neck feels, and especially how the finish feels on my hands. According to KoAloha you can use any normal tension classical guitar strings on it, just a tip.

Good luck selling friend, and I hope you'll make videos of whatever you get next =)

Thanks for the good words Dane...I just wasn't able to play certain chords on it with my playing style. I'm a thumb-wrapper when it comes to making barre chords up the neck and the Koaloha neck just doesn't lend itself for that, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I understand the difficulties with accustoming oneself to a wider neck than normal...

One of my basses is an 8 string bass-guitar hybrid called an NS/Stick. It took some time to get used to a neck that felt like a 2x6. You may want to give your instrument some time and see if your playing style can adjust. That looks like a beautiful instrument you have.

Picture of my NS/Stick

Well, you are tempting me very much. What is it these days... I am trying to be good, but so many ukes are coming available at the same time that I feel kind of guilty about it. A Mainland banjo uke is to arrive today, I have a custom mya-moe resonator to come early February, and that 5 string tenor from Ohana might be finally available. But, I have been eyeing all the guitarleles for two years now, and had figured the Koaloha might be the one for me. I haven't played one in person though. I would have to make a visit to a UU member in the SoCal area to test it out (anyone want company... Dane, SailingUke?). I am definitely not a thumb wrapper, but I don't own any KoAlohas yet, so I don't know about the feel of the neck. What is the finish like on your D-VI? It looks like maybe it is slightly glossy. I know the KoAlohas have different degrees of glossiness, and I was wondering where on the scale this one is.
–Lori

Well, you are tempting me very much. What is it these days... I am trying to be good, but so many ukes are coming available at the same time that I feel kind of guilty about it. A Mainland banjo uke is to arrive today, I have a custom mya-moe resonator to come early February, and that 5 string tenor from Ohana might be finally available. But, I have been eyeing all the guitarleles for two years now, and had figured the Koaloha might be the one for me. I haven't played one in person though. I would have to make a visit to a UU member in the SoCal area to test it out (anyone want company... Dane, SailingUke?). I am definitely not a thumb wrapper, but I don't own any KoAlohas yet, so I don't know about the feel of the neck. What is the finish like on your D-VI? It looks like maybe it is slightly glossy. I know the KoAlohas have different degrees of glossiness, and I was wondering where on the scale this one is.
–Lori

Hi Lori...:) I am aware you have been looking at guitarleles for a while now. Isn't it awful to be tempted like this? I wanted a D-VI for a long time and it may have been a better route for me to take by trying out one in person before I pulled the trigger but...I didn't and so, this one's for sale now. And YOU can be the proud owner...!!!

Koaloha's web site calls the finish "high gloss". I'm sure they don't use polyurethane like so many makers do these days. It is probably a nitrocellulose lacquer thinly applied.

Oh man that uke sounds sweet!!! I can't afford it, but are you sure you really want to sell it, you play it so beautifuly!!!

Hi Lori...:) I am aware you have been looking at guitarleles for a while now. Isn't it awful to be tempted like this? I wanted a D-VI for a long time and it may have been a better route for me to take by trying out one in person before I pulled the trigger but...I didn't and so, this one's for sale now. And YOU can be the proud owner...!!!

Koaloha's web site calls the finish "high gloss". I'm sure they don't use polyurethane like so many makers do these days. It is probably a nitrocellulose lacquer thinly applied.

I am going to NAMM, so maybe I will see one there. I have promised myself that I won't buy a high end guitarlele or uke unless I have played it first. That is keeping me from going too UAS crazy. So, if I can get some hands on experience, you might have yourself a serious buyer. It might take a little time though...

I don't know what their special finish concoction is, but I really like it. I've never had a finish be so comfortable to my hands before.

Nice uke and you play it very well! I would bite at it if I was not worried that my wife would smash it over my head!!
Good luck in selling it! (Is the singing dog included?)

Nice uke and you play it very well! I would bite at it if I was not worried that my wife would smash it over my head!!
Good luck in selling it! (Is the singing dog included?)

I understand your situation with your better half. Thanks for the compliment. There are times when I would gladly give dear Harley away (I have lots of stories about Harley) but the answer is no, he's not included...!!!

Ah man, I wish I had some money. My husband likes the sound of these, and he wants to concentrate on Spanish stuff. Well if he did that on a classical guitar - talk about wide fret boards! That and he's pro-uke, but doesn't want to learn all over again with 4 strings. This for the sound and feel would be a no-brainer.

Come on, someone snap it up!

I need me a singing dog. What do you use for a string set on that uke and how is it tuned?

I need me a singing dog. What do you use for a string set on that uke and how is it tuned?

There are many times when I would gladly move Harley on to another home but, all things considered, I guess I'll keep him...!!!

Just kidding of course, he is a real sweetheart even though he does have some issues...!!!

The D-VI is tuned ADGCEA. I don't know what brand of strings it has on it, it has the original strings as installed by Koaloha.

I don't know what brand of strings it has on it, it has the original strings as installed by Koaloha.

"Aloha Dane,

We use a combination of LaBella flamenco strings for the bass and our own flurocarbon for the treble. You can actually use any normal tension classical guitar strings for the D-VI model.

Hope this helps.

Mahalo,

Brian K. Benavente
Customer Service Manager
Journeyman"

The uke sounds great, and your playing is wonderful as well. It stinks you have to sell it, but hopefully you'll find something that better suits your needs. For my part, this uke is basically my holy grail right now, but it's well out of my price range. I hope it goes to a warm, happy home though! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom