WTB: $100 Uke good intonation, soprano or concert

andywergedal

Reaction score
Have $100.00, Looking for a great playing/sounding soprano or concert uke.

Flea maybe?

I need a uke that I can put in a soft gigbag, shove into my luggage and throw on the train, a few days a week.

Intonation is important. I like the wider neck of the flea. Would consider paying more for a rosewood fingerboard.

Looks are not that important, although I like solid colors the best.

-- Andy

Kamoa

The ES Soprano or the Pineapple are nice for $99, if they are still available. They're laminates, so they're tough. My Pineapple has fine intonation. I found the setup to be a bit sloppy, but some nut filing solved that.

Do you know where I can find one? They seem to be out of stock on multiple uke sites.

I would consider the Kala thinline travel ukes. For a little more than $100 you get a nice padded and fitted gigbag included. Great volume and tone from a small slim package. I believe it comes with Aquila strings too, so there is another savings over those that might come with cheaper strings.

If I was traveling a lot on a train with a Flea in it's gig bag, I would want to wrap the uke in a sweatshirt or something to give it a bit more protection.

So, does your $100 budget include the gig bag or case?

–Lori

just got a used Kala KA-C frrom someone here on UU. it was well under $100,looks and sounds pretty good for the $.I think it is worth the new price[MGM has them], but my advice is to be patient and buy a used one. people are selling their starter ukes and buying better ones all the time. you can get a used one that is almost as good [sometimes better because of set up and upgrades] for up to half off of new.

or you could take a chance on ebay, there are used inexpensive on there, but kind of risky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160526198309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited:
thanks for the advice...

I'll just keep waiting for the right one.

How about the oscar schmidt...they have a kinda wide neck...paid 60.00 for my OU2...a concert lam, but I love it.. gotta tune um by ear though...no problem for me...

I've become a fan of the Flea for bomb proof situations. If you have patience you might find a used one close to your price point.

But I gotta tell you, if you just want something you can bang around with on the road, I would go cheap but awesome: a Dolphin. For $55 or so MGM will deliver it to your door. Upgrade to a better gig bag for about $20, and for under $75 you will be happy. I have TWO and both are from Mike, and I have absolutely NO intonation issues. And if I did, I am 100% certain that Mike would resolve them.

Choice of colors: go black for that Johnny Cash vibe, but if it were me, I'd go pink and attract the ladies :eek:

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics...ch&LH_TitleDesc=1&_fsub=7330323&_sid=34517586

On sale for $39 are the white ones!

The set up from Mike is superb. I just got my purple one this week, and was marveling at how well he set up the action, how well dressed the frets are, just a pleasure to play.

IMHO, these instruments are the best value in the Uke world.

Last edited:
i second the Dolphins from MGM - he sets 'em up really well, the back and sides are plastic, so they are pretty durable, and they sound great.

seems like there are 2 good choices... the MGM one for 50 or the Hamano one at 125...

any suggestion why one would provide a better value than the other?

seems like there are 2 good choices... the MGM one for 50 or the Hamano one at 125...

any suggestion why one would provide a better value than the other?

This is just my opinion but... I think the Hamano would be a better investment. Aside from the Amazon deal, these ukes usually don't go for anything less than $200 because they are a solid wood instrument. The Makala, on the other hand, is laminate (or is it plastic? I can't remember.) The construction of the Hamano is very good, with rosewood fretboard and a nice satin finish.

I dont thnk you would outgrow the hamano but the dolphin body is plastic and pretty indestructable and if you managed to smash the top as it is the only part that looks destructable then you can get another one for 32 bucks at your local music store I would get both!

I dont thnk you would outgrow the hamano but the dolphin body is plastic and pretty indestructable and if you managed to smash the top as it is the only part that looks destructable then you can get another one for 32 bucks at your local music store I would get both!

I agree with Paul - the Hamano is a "serious" uke while the Dolphin is great if you're planning to carry it around a lot or put it in your trunk. It's indestructible but not as nice as the Hamano.

Oops - I didn't see that the Hamano was from Amazon. Unless you know how to setup a uke yourself I would recommend buying from a reputable uke seller like Music Guy Mic. Ideal situation would be a used uke that was originally setup by MGM.

If you're willing to pay $199 there's an awesome Pono mahogany on the board right now, an Applause soprano for $100, and a Bushman Jenny for $150. Of the three the Pono's the nicest but the Jenny is a steal. If you can swing $150 - get it.

Last edited:
Based on your original post of wanting a uke to "throw in a gig bag" on the train, save the heartache of dinging your all wood instrument and buy the Dolphin.

I have wooden ukes worth hundreds of dollars, but I don't ever think I'll outgrow my Dolphins. I take one everywhere.

so a slightly higher priced one like hamano would need to be setup anyways huh...

Top Bottom