Need song recomendation!

ctkastin

Reaction score
So I'm slightly new, and i need help starting off picking songs to learn! i know most of the main chordes and im ready to learn any new ones at any time! Reply if you have any easy, but fun songs to learn!

Well, that's a tough one to answer. I can recommend songs I like, but so what? You should learn songs you like.

So what songs do you like? What bands do you listen to? If you hit "shuffle" on your iPod, what are the first 10 songs that come up?

JJ

I'd start with easy kids nursery rhymes songs to start off first just to get the hang of it...no sense playing your favorite songs first as you'll only get flustered and fustrated....

I'd start with easy kids nursery rhymes songs to start off first just to get the hang of it...no sense playing your favorite songs first as you'll only get flustered and fustrated....

I wouldn't say that. A lot of people's favorite songs have just a few chords and are pretty easy. At the very least, one of your favorite bands probably has at least one song that has only a few simple chords (or that can be simplified to a few simple chords).

The idea isn't to just pick your all-time favorite song and go learn it. You're right that you can get into trouble that way. But if you name some of your favorite songs/artists, we can help you pick the ones out of that list would make sense to start with.

JJ

I listen to everything! Plain white t's, taylor swift, train, steven curtis chapman, sara evans, hillsong united, ect.. Just like common songs basically!

To add something to that, Basically anything country!

I listen to everything! Plain white t's, taylor swift, train, steven curtis chapman, sara evans, hillsong united, ect.. Just like common songs basically!

To add something to that, Basically anything country!

Ah, well you're in luck. "Hey Soul Sister" shouldn't be too difficult. Especially if you change it to the key to "C". Then the chords are basically just: C G Am F over and over again.

"Our Time Now" would be a bit ambitious for a beginner. But you could eventually work up to it because all the chords are "standard" uke chords.

"Love Story" is also easy if you use these chords. (She originally sang in a higher key, I don't why the Chordie chords are in "C", but it's easy to play that way at least.)

Chattahoochee (Alan Jackson). Ignore the tabs on top and just scroll down to where the lyrics start.

River of Love (George Strait). Just two chords: D and G. He even sings about a ukulele in this one!

Not sure if you're into old-school country, but "Rambling Fever" (Merle Haggard) is a good one. Really any old Haggard, Jones, Hank Sr., Cash, etc., will likely have basic chords.

JJ

I don't know what sort of country you like, but I've been playing a lot of three-chord country songs to start with (and I don't even really consider myself a country fan.) Some easy ones are Lucinda Williams' "Lake Charles" and Fountains of Wayne's "Hung Up On You." (In fact, if you transposed one they could have the same three chords. But I digress...)

Those were already songs I listened to and sang a lot, though. When I'm practicing chords, I pay close attention for patterns that remind me of songs I already like, maybe even just two chords in succession. If I notice something familiar, I look online for the chords to see if I stumbled onto something. This way, I'm practicing my chord fingerings and learning new songs incrementally. That's not to say I don't just go looking for songs, but this way keeps me grounded in fundamentals, too.

Last edited:
Besides all the great suggestions above, please feel free to look at/print out the songbook
listed in my links below my signature.

I second the suggestion for doctoruke.com. Great resource, esp for strummers and singers.

Keep uke'in',

I haven't played the uke yet but I do play guitar. I'd say write down your top 5 songs and google the tab or check on utube. If the progressions aren't that difficult for your experience level I'd say go for it!

I like Til There Was You by the Beatles as taught by Ukulele Mike on YouTube. Easy to learn as a beginnner and it allows you to practice a different type of strum and more chord changes than some other beginner songs.

Top Bottom