Travel uke blue print

heyitsme

Reaction score
Hi Guys can anybody tel me where can I get a blueprint or a visual guide on doing a travel uke?

Thanks in advance

Travel uke as in Risa stick? Or as in Dave G's travel uke?

I'm more interested with the Kala travel uke type but I'm open to anything. I dont want to trim down the specs by myself it may not work.

A few minutes in Photoshop produced this:

kala travel uke plans.jpg

It is not to scale printed right off. Hopefully this helps.

I tried taking the back of a really cheap instrument and reduced it to the same width as a Kala. Not great results.
I had a look at Brueko version and eventually bought a Kala slim line uke and I'm very happy with it as a small instrument with a pick up fitted, lots of sound!
I believe that the bowback design gives the best projection and if you are going to build you own, look at ways of moulding the back and fitting nice slim braces to replicate a Kala.

I think the Risa's are best for traveling. The lack of a headstock saves you those few inches, it can be quiet for if you are traveling with other people around, but you can still have a pickup for if you want some real volume. I made a simple copy of one with a one piece maple body, maple fretboard, cocobolo bridge and a poplar dowel. Pretty much just scraps laying around. Pretty easy!

Travel uke

I don't have any plans but I did find some pictures of a travel uke. The uke doesn't look that hard to build.

Tom
:D:D:D

Attachments

• imag0005.jpg
    imag0005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
  • imag0009.jpg
    imag0009.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 40
  • qdtu1.jpg
    qdtu1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 46