Why does one choose a Super Concert over a Concert?

jgeary

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm still pretty new to the 'ukulele world (and loving it). For those of you who own a Super Concert, I'd love to know why you chose this vs. a "regular" Concert.

My understanding is the Super Concert has a longer scale length and/or neck width (more like a tenor), although I'm not even certain of that (I need to do my homework! Sorry.). But what is the advantage of a Super Concert?

Maholo in advance!
Jill

I believe a super concert is tenor neck length and the body of a concert, which is tonally very different from a tenor- less guitar-y and more Ukulele-y if that makes any sense

It is better to think of a super-concert as a tenor uke with a small body, rather than a concert uke with a long neck.

The reason for this is because of the strings used. A super-concert uses tenor strings, so it is going to sound more like a tenor.

Super-concerts are great if you like the tenor scale length but find the larger tenor body uncomfortable to play.

I have a couple of different super-concerts and both have concert strings on them. The longer neck gives them higher string tension and also greater spacing between frets. That makes them easier to play with my long fingers... especially up the neck.

I had a super-concert made because I wanted the extra frets. I like the size of a concert body.

I like the super concert because it can leap tall buildings and is faster than a speeding bullet.
Oh wait, wrong super.
Actually Ken & Sukie got it, the longer neck gives you the feel of a tenor and the sweet slightly higher voice of a concert.
My super concert is also much louder than any concert I have played, but the longer string scale contributes to that.

Long Scale Concert Ukuleles

I would put it like this: the body size will determine the sound much more than the strings. That said, the different scale will change the sound from what you'll have on a standard concert.

If you're one of the folks who likes to tune all their ukuleles to C, then you'll either have thinner strings or higher tension compared to C tuning on a standard. How that will sound will depend largely on how your instrument is constructed. Nonetheless, these are the general tendencies:

If you stay in C tuning and lighten up on your strings to get back to a more normal tension, you'll get a light, bright sound, pushing things more toward a soprano flavor. You need a lightly built instrument for this to sound good. A poorly or heavily built piece will not respond to light strings. With a good instrument, however, this is a great option. Soprano-like sound with a much bigger fretboard.

If you stay with higher tension, a number of things could happen, depending on the strings and the instrument. Probably less sustain and more volume than with light strings.

What we like on our instruments is to drop down, at least to B flat tuning. The tonal volume of B flat is a great fit for the dimensions of a concert body and it resonates beautifully on that size. The longer scale again gives it a lighter, brighter sound than you would have on a standard. It also produces excellent volume and sustain and you play at normal tensions.

Of course, in any case, you have that nice roomy fretboard to play with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom