Canadian Tariffs

mdnjustin

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of tariffs/tax crap I have to pay if I order an ukulele from MGM to Canada?

I think you'll have to pay the same taxes you would pay if you bought the uke in Canada (so both the federal and provincial taxes).

Basically it all depends on if customs wants to be friendly or not. It's hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get through no problem, sometimes just sales tax, and sometimes the get REALLY cranky and hit you with an "Import Fee".

Now, if MGM were to send you a gift, well then...:cool:

i don't know about going into Canada, but I've had lots of motorcycle parts shipped to me from Canada without having to pay anything other than normal shipping fees...of course maybe the sender had to claim something that I am unaware of.

I've received a few ukes form MGM and you will have to pay taxes....provincial and federal taxes...So you will pay something like 100 of taxes for a Koaloha Concert in Montreal.....which is a lot!!!!!

PM me...I have some all koa ukes to sell...since I'm waiting for a my new custom uke to come soon...

thanks

I'm in Winnipeg and ordered a Flea from MGM in December, and I wasn't charged any taxes or duties. I just picked it up from the parcel depot without any additional charges.

My brother suggested that might be because the Flea was entirely made in the US, and therefore doesn't get charged duty. I'm not sure if that's true, I just know that I didn't get charged anything myself (which was a very pleasant surprise).

I just received a Uke shipped from the US to Montreal, the taxes were 7% (TVQ - Quebec Tax) + 6% (wich is the % that apply on Ukulele from the federal)
You can go check the website of the Canadian Border Service Agency, all the info is there!
http://cbsa.gc.ca
Have fun with your new uke!

It's a roll of the dice. If the package comes by mail, Canadian Customs can charge three things: GST, PST and a processing fee. I've paid $60-$80 on most ukes from MGM. Really annoys me to pay PST on items not made in or even sold in Canada.

If a package comes via UPS, then you can get another whopping "brokerage fee" on top of the taxes. This is usually $25-$50, depending on the value of the shipment. As far as I can determine, UPS charges this exorbitant fee simply to offend customers and drive them to another courier.

WOW, i will never be annoyed by the US postal office (not like i ever had) how come your mail is so irregular? ( i know england is the same way, and some one on here said that so are the sweds.

WOW, i will never be annoyed by the US postal office (not like i ever had) how come your mail is so irregular? ( i know england is the same way, and some one on here said that so are the sweds.
It's not Canada Post. They're as efficient and speedy and careful as USPS is... *cough* *cough* *cough*

Canadian Customs (like US Customs) has the legal right to stop and inspect any package coming over international borders and apply taxes, processing fees and sometimes tarriffs. The sheer volume makes it hit and miss, but in general, bigger packages get stopped more often than smaller ones. Ukes are bigger packages than, say, CDs, so they're easy targets.

If you get a package from Canada or Europe, you'll go through the same thing with US Customs. But for Americans, shipments from Hawaii don't go through that hassle.

I suppose Customs wants to make sure we're really getting ukes, not big boxes of Maui Wowwee.

Top Bottom