PDA

View Full Version : Hamano H-100 Vintage 1920 Style Soprano Ukulele $127.47 on amazon

toobacat
01-08-2011, 05:16 AM
I just notice a big price drop on this (http://www.amazon.com/Hamano-H-100-Vintage-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001RNO7XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294503021&sr=8-1) ukulele on amazon.

philxbx
01-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Looks like a bargin. 68% off aint bad at all! I wonder if they ship to the UK?

shrink9
01-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I wonder what is the quality of these ukes? A friend of mine would like to get a uke in this price range. If it really WAS selling at over $300, the this price is amazing.

Anyone have any experience with Hamano ukes?

bbycrts
01-08-2011, 08:21 PM
No personal experience, but all Hamanos I've ever seen for sale are priced near the high end of the Chinese-built range, so I think the price reduction is accurate (Elderly sells these for about $275). This looks like a really good deal on a really good import uke! I've never heard a bad review and have read a couple of good ones!

Chris Tarman
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I wonder what is the quality of these ukes? A friend of mine would like to get a uke in this price range. If it really WAS selling at over $300, the this price is amazing.

Anyone have any experience with Hamano ukes?

I played one in a music store in Denver once. It is a nice Martin-ish soprano. Sophie Madeleine plays a Hamano concert. They're not very exciting looking, but that is less important than sound and playability. The one I played had those in abundance. $127 is a great deal.

beergeek
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in...I've played one of these and they sound pretty good and seem well made. Like Chris says, a "Martin-ish" soprano. They're made/imported by Saga.

Saga also makes some high quality/reasonably priced guitars and mandolins. Their Kentucky line of mandolins and the Blueridge line of guitars both range from around $500-$3000.

Kentucky is a very respected brand in the Mandolin community. I own a Carter Stanley Memorial Blueridge guitar which is a replica of his 50's custom D-28. It sounds more like a Martin than many Martins I've played ;)

The price on the Hamano is a steal as these rarely street below $250.

toobacat
01-09-2011, 04:03 AM
I've never played a Hamano uke, but someone at Elderly recommended them to me once, saying that they were a good deal for the price. I've had it in my amazon cart for at least a year and have never seen it below $249. Amazon's pricing seems a bit erratic, sometimes there are huge price drops that only last a few minutes.

When I saw the price drop yesterday, I ordered one right away. I let you know how it sounds when I get it. It seems like a really good deal on a solid wood ukulele.

EDW
01-09-2011, 04:14 AM
I have heard only good things about them. You can hear some sample sounds

http://www.ukeland.com/pages/reviews/comps/

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkeofBedford#p/u/0/jOJ-ESsFqPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JYf69oFP0

toobacat
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I received my Hamano uke this weekend. I love this ukulele! The craftsmanship is very nice, close to my Kiwaya. The sound is almost as good as my Kiwaya, but the Kiwaya has better strings on it. I think this is a spectacular instrument for the money. It's too bad that the price has started going back up, it's close to $200 now.

Paul Cote
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I got me one to and put martin fluorocarbons on it because my aquila sets are low g and I didn't want to put the low g on it (I use that on my dolphin). Right after I bought it the price jumped back up. I am playing it right now.

Bosconian91
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
The price went down to $122 (with 3 units left in stock) before it went up to $190. I thought of getting one but changed my mind since I prefer the concert. It's crazy how Amazon kept playing with the price on this uke.

shrink9
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I bought one at $127 for one of my clients. I like the uke but wouldn't compare it with my Kiwayas.

Paul Cote
01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
well for me it was worth 122 delivered. The one I got sounds good, is set up perfectly, actually set up even better with the fluorocarbons I put on it because with the black strings, there was a bit of clearance when you push the second (or third I forget) fret, but with the Martins there is just a tad of clearance. I did notice the finish on the top of mine is not perfect as it looks like strum marks on the top near where you strum. Also a shiny spot on the top near where you put the C string knot below the bridge. (the ukulele is matt finish so any rubbing tends to make it shiny-- so rubbing is a no no). Theres another little shiny spot on it. For 122 though, its a good deal imo. I do like it. I ordered a Silver Creek hard case for it that is supposedly only big enough to fit this style of ukulele with this style tuners and body size etc. (its a small body). Actually the case might end up a little deep for it... hoping it fits good, it didn't arrive yet but that case is under 30 bucks delivered on special as those silver creek/idk the other k name uke that it is designed for are selling for fifty bucks on amazon I guess they can't get the 120 they wanted for that hard case.

Now I am wondering if any one knows any matt finish maintenance tips on how to restore shiny spots (I should lose my perfectionism)... or I will just be happy I got something I thought was worth 122.

Bosconian91
01-20-2011, 06:17 AM
well for me it was worth 122 delivered.

That's a steal, IMO. I was really considering it. I even asked a few Hamano owners about this uke and they all gave it good reviews. Had I not ordered a KPK-T prior to seeing this deal, I probably would have bought one. The Hamano concerts are in back order - if Amazon gives another price deal, I'll pick one up for sure.