Old Uke Repair

Reaction score
I just picked up this uke from my Grandparent’s house and thought I would try to fix it up. The bridge/saddle looks like it had been adjusted at one point and now it is about to fall off (see pictures). I tried to restring the one string that was left on the uke, just for fun, but doing that nearly tore the bridge off. So I think I’m going to have to remove the bridge eventually, but is there a way I should do it so I don’t damage the uke? Also, to put the bridge back on the uke, is there a special adhesive/glue that I should use?

The other thing I know I need to do is get new strings for it. I’m thinking Aquila, since I heard they were good on lower end ukuleles (which this definitely is, the fret board is plastic). So does anyone have any recommendations for strings? Also, any other suggestions for getting this uke in playing shape would be appreciated.

IMG_2530.jpgIMG_2527.jpgIMG_2526.jpgIMG_2534.jpg

If someone in the past hasn't used epoxy or super glue to re-attach it you should be able to remove it by heating the bridge and softening the glue. Check out www.stewmac.com under their free info section. Just be patient and go slow. Use wood glue or luthier glue (see luthier merchantile international) to reattach it.

Top Bottom