Left hand position

rarawhidekid

Reaction score
I was toying around with my new uke and noticed when going between e minor and g i could save myself some extra movement by barring the first 3 strings with my index finger. Getting 3rd fret 2nd string with middle. Using ring finger for 4th fret 3rd string. and keeping the pinky hovering over 1st string 5th fret. This gives me 2 inversions of the g chord, e minor, and c9 with just having to pick up or put down a finger or two. sliding up one fret or reaching with the pinky gives me the c at 2nd string 3rd fret and first string 7th fret. and sliding the index finger down a string(barring all 2nd frets) and keeping my pinky on the fifth gives me a d. That gives me most every chord i need for playing in g without much unneeded movement. I was just curious as to if there was a reason this would be bad to do. My first instrument was banjo so a lot of the time im looking to make movements more efficient and this seems to be the way in my mind. I believe i did a good job explaining that but if i need to clarify anything let me know. Thanks.

Danny

Uh, oh, he's discovered the second fret barre secret weapon for playing in G - now we havta kill 'im. ;)

You can play every primary and secondary chord in the key of G using a barre at the second fret. To keep the entire key closed and therefore easily transposable, slide your barre to the third fret for the barre C and play the barre Am7 at the second fret instead of the open Am.

Gotta love them closed chords!

John

Nice one kid, you've discovered our secret. We would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for that pesky rawahide kid!

Top Bottom