How do I read fingerpicking?

CAMK

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've only been playing ukulele for about a month and today I came across a song with a riff that involved fingerpicking(?)

I don't understand how to read it at all even though I've tried looking at some tutorials :confused:

Please help!

Example:
Main riff :
Am
A - ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- - ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
E|---0----0----0----0----1--|---0----0----3----1----0--|
C|--------------------------|--------------------------|
G|--------------------------|--------------------------|

Think of it as a map of your fretboard. If you look down on the fretboard from playing position, and rotate the fretboard toward you, you will see the dashed line "A" on top (furthest away from you), and the "G" string at the bottom (closest to you). 0 means play the string open, and the numbers indicate the fret number. Play the numbered notes from left to right. The vertical line breaks up the measures. So, this tune is played all on the second string.
Does that make sense?
–Lori

While it's here, can anyone explain to me "ties" uke hunt description of them just confused me =/

A tie is when you play the note once, but let it ring into the next measure. So you are basically adding the duration of the tied notes to span the break in the measure.
–Lori

Thank you! It seems to make more sense now ^^

As you know the GCEA vertical is your strings and going from left to right is your progression, go in the order from left to right no matter what string you re on..Happy Pickings...mm Stan

Top Bottom