Concert Ukulele: Lanikai LU-21C or Fluke

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hey everyone, which one would you guys suggest to a beginner looking to learn the ukulele? I understand the Fluke is over $100 more expensive than the Lanikai but if its reasonable better, I probably wouldn't mind investing in it. Looking to hear some of your input.

Thanks

I haven't got a chance to play a concert fluke, or well, any fluke. but I have been pretty unimpressed with the quality of the lanikai's i've played. Have you checked out the Kamoas or Kalas?

I started with a Flea and it's is still my favorite Uke. Can't go wrong with the Fluke, indestructable, perfect intomnation, easy to play, and great resale value if you (yeah right) decide to give up the uke.

Well worth the extra $$

JT

Hey everyone, which one would you guys suggest to a beginner looking to learn the ukulele? I understand the Fluke is over $100 more expensive than the Lanikai but if its reasonable better, I probably wouldn't mind investing in it. Looking to hear some of your input.

Thanks
I'm new to Ukulele but a long time guitar player so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I purchased my first Uke from a friend and it was a higher end model (over $500) but then I went looking for Ukes for my kids and had a chance to see about 15 different makes at a couple local stores.

I tried the Fluke as well as the Lanikai U-11 and U-21.

The Fluke is nicely made but the base model uses a plastic fingerboard with small black frets. There is a rosewood fingerboard version of the Fluke but it's an additional $70. I think it would be hard for a beginner to learn on the plastic fingerboard due to the difficulty of seeing the frets but YMMV.

The Lanikais don't sound as good as the Fluke but the ones I tried had decent intonation and were certainly playable. I think there may be better options for a beginner than the Fluke in it's price range.

Aloha I am froogle,
If by your username, and this is your first ukulele, I would go with then lanikai for an entry level uke to see if you're gonna stick it out....plus I'd try the both of them first
before deciding to buy....as they both sound and feel as different as can be....try before you buy...everyone has different tastes and preference...good Luck...Happy strummings..MM Stan
Let us know what you decide to get..

Gosh it is so hard to address your questions because some people LOVE the Fleas and Flukes and others not so much. I started with an entry level Lanikai that I bought used for $20 and loved it. I have a second hand Flea that I am happy to have but I don't love the Flea. For the cost of the Flea or Fluke I personally would purchase a Mainland or Ohana.

I know it is a tough decision but most likely you will be happy with whatever purchase you make.
Roxhum

Well, I actually did hold both of them and strummed around a bit. I am in no position to detect sound quality but from what I heard they do sound very different - the Lanikai sounded "brighter?" or higher than the Fluke. Fluke sounded quite dim. I also though that holding the Fluke was very comfortable but the thing I liked best was the fretboard. It was nice and wide and made it easy to hit chords.

I got a Makala MK-C for Christmas. Well under one hundred of your dollars and it's the canine's sphericals!

I have a Lanikai Lu-21c and I absolutely love it. Got it for Christmas from my aunt and she only paid 75 for it. Sounds great for what I've heard but that may just be me... I don't think so though ;) I mean, I'm fairly new to the uke and all but if you're looking for a good uke that's cheaper than your average I would look into the Lanikai Lu-21c (not the cheap cheap Lanikais or other similar names, those just sound well..cheap) :p

Hope you find your baby soon. Good luck :D I found mine with my Lanikai (hence my screenname) :eek:

**Caroline**

Love my tenor fluke. Great sound. Easy to care for (plastic). You don't even need a stand!

I've owned both - the Fluke is a significantly better instrument than the Lani IMHO

I do like the Lani's but they can suffer from set up issues - you will NEVER get that with a Fluke - trouble free bombproof ukulele!

i got a flea (first time ukulele purchase), and I am so happy with that decision. for the money, it is a great sound. It is really heavy duty, too, so you can take it anywhere. it has this wonderful personality. it begs to be played, and comes in many sexy colors. i went ahead and got the geared tuning pegs.

I have a tenor fluke and a concert flea and absolutely love them both. I am selling several of my ukes, but the fluke and flea are keepers. They are out all the time and get played a lot and hold up soundwise against solid wood ukes. I owned a Lanikai LFM-S. Nice uke, but I gave it to my godson. I wasn't playing it.
Regards,
Ray

If the extra cost of the Fluke is an issue, why not just go with a Flea?

Still more than the Lanikai, but not as much more as the Fluke.

(And I like Fleas a bit better anyway, FWIW.)

JJ

Top Bottom