Lanikai or Kala Uke?

vince726

Reaction score
Okay Im buying my first Uke and Im not sure if I want the Lanikai Lu-21T..or the Kala KA-T..I have heard good things about both of them. I want to try to stay under $100..but maybe theres a better one out there for a little more. Thanks for your help and Im looking forward to learning the UKE..

This should be posted in purchase consultation or " Buying Tips", but i do own a lanikai lu-21te and it is very good. I have no problems with it. It comes with Aqulia strings which the kala does not have. The tone is very good, but the grain is very plain. The Kala is definately better in looks, but i would recommend lanikai.

I would get this...there are a billion on this page, but if you scroll 3/4 the way down, you'll find a Pono Ohai Soprano. It is ALL-SOLID WOOD and only $125....I know it's not a tenor, but it will be much nicer IMO. BUT...both those ukes you listed are fine
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

I would personally go with the Kala. I've played Lanikais and Kalas and I think the Kalas had better overall sound and quality. Just my thoughts. I'm sure there is someone who will prefer the Lanikais

Welcome Vince726,
I'd try them both out first, everyone has their own preference and these ukes can sound so different from one to another even the same brand and model...Good Luck...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Last edited:
Welcome Vince726,
I'd try them both out first, everyone has their own preference and these ukes can sound so different from on to another even the same brand and model...Good Luck...Happy Strummings...MM Stan
I agree with what MM Stan said, try them yourself if possible, I've played both and have an LU-21C which is my favorite take anywhere uke. They are very comparable and from those I've seen both come with Aquila strings, but especially with ukes in the lower price ranges there seems to be a bit of variation in them. Another one to look in to and try is the Makala MK-T, that was my first and I think (and have heard from several others) that it has better sound than either the KA's or the LU's.

Aloha Vince726,
Welcome to UU and its forum. They are both good entry level ukes. If all possible, try them out yourself and you decide which one is best for YOU. It's is like Chevy or Ford? What ever you choose will be okay......................BO..............

I would get this...there are a billion on this page, but if you scroll 3/4 the way down, you'll find a Pono Ohai Soprano. It is ALL-SOLID WOOD and only $125....I know it's not a tenor, but it will be much nicer IMO.
OP wants a tenor and you tell him to get a soprano because it'll be "nicer"?

Reminds me of when all I wanted for Christmas was an AM-FM clock radio because we'd gotten a hip AOR FM station in town. Instead I got an AM radio because my dad insisted it was just as good only "it cost less". He was such a cheap bastard. :(

I have two Lanikai's and happy with both. They don't look great, but the sound is decent, and in my opinion, comparible to uke's with a higher tag. The Kala's entry level uke's didn't sound as good to me.
I have heard though, that the Lanikai's vary in quality from shocking to rather good, so if you're purchasing from a shop, get the one you strum if you like it!

Good luck!!

I have a Makala MK-T which has great setup and action. The Kala I am sure is prettier than the Makala but you can get the Makala for a good price. I might would go with the Kala over the Makala but the MK-T is good enough for me.

I've got a Kala tenor and a Lanikai tenor - both bog standard. Not a lot between them. Kala is maybe "twangier", possibly a bit louder. Lanikai has a fuller sound- a bit more "guitary" Both easy to play. Both pretty sturdy.

You know as a dealer i am always asked this question And here is the answer. Mike Upton who owns Kala started Lanikai for Hohner Corp years ago In fact Lanikai is named after the city he lived in in Hawaii. He has since left Hohner and started his own company Kala......Now both are good ukulele...the difference Hohner is a big corp they do not service ukulele they sell but have warranty replacement etc. Kala on the other hand has a full blown service dept in USA They have replacement parts availble within 24 hours, They kive and breath Ukulele Is it hard to guess which i recommend

MGM may be too diplomatic since he carries both brands, or maybe he would't agree with me anyway. But for my money I would choose a Kala any day over a Lanikai.

I only own Kala novelty ukes (Dolphin and Watermelon) but for me, they play better than the Lanikai I had-- and sold--by miles.

well, now Im leaning more towards the Kala KA-T Uke......any more help would be great..thanks..

well, now Im leaning more towards the Kala KA-T Uke......any more help would be great..thanks..

That was my first tenor. Great little machine, sturdy and sounds great with Aquilas. Still have as my knock around uke and still very happy with it.

My first ukulele was a Kala curly mango tenor. It was very nice. It was made of laminate. I ended up selling it during some tough financial struggles.

I ordered a Lanikai Custom Series Koa (NKT). It has a solid koa top. It should get here next week. I am hoping I like it as much as the Kala.

Top Bottom