Wanted: Cigar Box Uke Builder

Susie A

Reaction score
Looking for someone with experience to build a cigar box uke. I have a special box that I would like made into a uke.

Any takers?

Do it yourself! Mainland neck + nice box = ukulele! :)

Do it yourself! Mainland neck + nice box = ukulele! :)

What if I mess it up? How do I make sure I have the right measurements to the bridge? What tools do I need? The box is small. It might make a cute sopranino.

Let me do some research :)

Susie - Andy and JT I'm sure would both recommend Sonny Daze - they both have them (Andy has two...the second is an electrican, though) and I believe both are very happy with them. John Irving (Link) has one, too, but he's not around here much if at all these days. Andy or JT can put you in touch with Russ from Sonny Daze.

Maybe try the Mainland neck + box method. I think I might try this out in the next little while as I have several nice cigar boxes lying around. I wonder if anyone has posted about doing this over in the builders threads...

or

Go for gold, and buy a Tom Guy - there's one on the marketplace now, i think.

or

Do both!

Looking for someone with experience to build a cigar box uke. I have a special box that I would like made into a uke. Any takers?

The suggestion to buy a neck & build your own is probably spot on... but... I met William Jehle yesterday - author, builder, & curator of "The Cigar Box Guitar Museum" here in my small N. Alabama area! See his website here:

http://bellyjellymusic.com/

He could & possibly would build one for you, but after talking to him you might also be persuaded to try & build it yourself. Cathy Fink, well known 1/2 of the duet w/Marcy Marker owns at least one of Jehle's ukes.

There is also Mike Snowden of "www.snowdenguitars.com" there in Atlanta. Don't be put off when you see the prominence of "guitar" in these links because as it turns out, melding a cigar box w/a neck & some strings has spanned all sorts of associated instruments. Give either or both a "shout" from their web pages & I'd bet you will come out surprised & happy from the contact.

And for a fascinating look at this whole subterannean area of stringed music histor, find a copy of Jehle's definitive history:

One Man's Trash: A History of the Cigar Box Guitar
http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Trash-History-Guitar/dp/1453802398

I will be posting a summary & photos of some of the amazing cigar box ukes I saw from the collection including a RARE Sam Kamaka Jr. cigar box uke(!) in another thread this afternoon.

Last edited:
The suggestion to buy a neck & build your own is probably spot on... but... I me William Jehle yesterday - author, builder, & curator of "The Cigar Box Guitar Museum" here in my small N. Alabama area! See his website here:

http://bellyjellymusic.com/

He could & possibly would build one for you, but after talking to him you might also be persuaded to try & build it yourself. Cathy Fink, well known 1/2 of the duet w/Marcy Marker owns at least one of Jehle's ukes.

There is also Mike Snowden of "www.snowdenguitars.com" there in Atlanta. Don't be put off when you see the promincene of "guitar" in these links because as it turns out, melding a cigar box w/a neck & some strings has spanned all sorts of associated instruments. Give either or both a "shout" from their web pages & I'd bet you will come out surprised & happy from the contact.

And for a fascinating look at this whole subterannean area of stringed music histor, find a copy of Jehle's definitive history:

One Man's Trash: A History of the Cigar Box Guitar
http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Trash-History-Guitar/dp/1453802398

I will be posting a summary & photos of some of the amazing cigar box ukes I saw from the collection including a RARE Sam Kamaka Jr. cigar box uke(!) in another thread this afternoon.

Thanks for the info. The links are great! I guess I will bite the bullet and give making one a whirl. It will be and adventure, right?

Check me out. I do traditional cigar box guitar style builds.
Link is in my sig.
In fact, here's a link to my UKE PAGE.
Matt

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The links are great! I guess I will bite the bullet and give making one a whirl. It will be and adventure, right?

It will be! I've been researching, and there is a TON of great information. Don't forget about the Luthiers Lounge. I'm sure they can help you out when you get to the bridge attaching point. When I find my perfect box, I'm going to tackle it as well!

Good luck and make sure to take a ton of pics!

Top Bottom