What are somethings to consider when buying a new Uke?

davoomac

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The last ukulele I bought was a Kala KTEC. Purchased from musicguymic on ebay... I'm very happy with it since I was bumming around with a $40 soprano Hilo for about 4 years. :eek:

Anyway, there are so many different brands and different kinds of uke that its hard to choose make a decision. Whats the overall best types of wood to look for? what kind of pickups should I look for? Any particular brands that are almost always guaranteed to be good? I guess I would say my budget is $200 to $500 max.

The last ukulele I bought was a Kala KTEC. Purchased from musicguymic on ebay... I'm very happy with it since I was bumming around with a $40 soprano Hilo for about 4 years. :eek:

Anyway, there are so many different brands and different kinds of uke that its hard to choose make a decision. Whats the overall best types of wood to look for? what kind of pickups should I look for? Any particular brands that are almost always guaranteed to be good? I guess I would say my budget is $200 to $500 max.

Pono (by Kooalau) has gained a lot of recognition it seems for offering a lot of bang for the buck. I have a Pono PTE with a Dean Markley passive (no battery needed) pickup and hard shell case. In my opinion, it has an amazing sound that is deep and rich. I purchased it from musicguymic on ebay. Call him and ask his opinion. He is a good guy and very knowledgeable. Tell him your price range and what you want in a uke: particular sound etc...

Good luck. You should be able to get an awesome uke in the 4-5hundred range.

Other brands that that are known for incredible ukes would be brands such as Kamaka and Koaloha etc.. They cost a bit more than your price range though. These tend to be about 600 + dollars...

Pono (by Kooalau) has gained a lot of recognition it seems for offering a lot of bang for the buck. I have a Pono PTE with a Dean Markley passive (no battery needed) pickup and hard shell case. In my opinion, it has an amazing sound that is deep and rich. I purchased it from musicguymic on ebay. Call him and ask his opinion. He is a good guy and very knowledgeable. Tell him your price range and what you want in a uke: particular sound etc...

Other brands that that are known for incredible ukes would be brands such as Kamaka and Koaloha etc.. They cost a bit more than your price range though. These tend to be about 600 + dollars...

Thanks for the info. I'll check out those ukes you mentioned. :p A friend of mine has a pono and it sounds great and feels great when you play it. I really wanted to get one, but I couldn't find any for my price range at that time.

Wow, the Pono's sound like my kind of uke haha. maybe i'll check that out the next time i pick up a uke.

save another $400 and buy a kamaka :D

Top Bottom