European Luthiers?

Johnny Calzone

Reaction score
It's sunday afternoon and I have A LOT of studying to do. So what's the natural thing to do? Yeah, don't study and do some ukulele window shopping. I figure that (optimisticly speaking) some two or three years in the future I will have acquired the skill and financial means to warrant a custom uke and I decided that now's the time to weigh options luthier-wise. The thing is, I'm from Austria and i don't want to deal with customs/taxes that come with importing an instrument from the US.
However, the only European uke luthiers I can think of right now are Pete Howlett and Giaochino Giussani, who built a uke for John King (but I doubt that he's available for us simple folk). That said, I wouldn't mind if you guys shot me some additional options ;)

Depending on what you require, but Timbuck makes beautifull sopranos in the Martin style.

You can find Dominique Chevalier's ukulele in Paris (R & F Charle's Parisian shop) and on their website (you can join the luthier through this seller…). On the french ukulele site, here you will find more informations on how to contact this fine ukulele maker. By the way D. Chevalier's site is out of order, but the guy is still working…

There is also this luthier from west coast of France : Syl'uke… fine work too

Wow, many many many thanks to you all. They all make stunning instruments. Keep em coming :D

you can also opt for a semi custom

Brüko in germany make nice ukes and customs won't cost too much over 300 euros.

you can choose fromm all kinds of woods, they're mostly european ish woods (no koa) but plenty of choices and options with the types of bodys

http://www.brueko.de/en/

Thanks again!

I got an E-Mail from Giaochino Giussani today and he said that he'd build me an ukulele in his spare time for fun (and 750€).

I like your blog Sven. Is that spruce you are using for the sound board?

Oh, I haven't used spruce for a while. Robin's new top is cedar. The piccolos all have cherry soundboards.

Have you seen Rob's latest builds? If you want a wonderful handmade uke quick, buy from him.

Sven

Top Bottom