string tension on 14 fret vs. 12 fret to body concert

grownupboy

Reaction score
hey all...

quick question - is there a difference in string tension between 12 fret to body and 14 fret to body concert ukes?

am i correct in thinking that 14 fret to body is a slightly longer scale length and that means that the string tension would have to be slightly higher to achieve the same tuning...

thanks for your input!
k

Scale length and string diameter determine tension regardless of where the neck is attached. For example, a 12-fret 17" tenor scale has the same tension as a 14-fret
17" tenor scale instrument.

right, so i guess what i'm asking is... do 14 frets to body concert ukes have a longer scale length and higher tension as a result?

for example, my 14 fret to body kanilea has 15 3/8 scale length whereas most concert ukes are 15". i guess i'm answering my own question... LOL
k

The string tension is the same. The bridge is 2 frets closer to the top of the body while the neck is two frets longer. Same length between the nut and bridge/saddle for both. The difference in your uke is a manufacturing difference not a result of it being 14 vs 12 frets. When you measure different manufacturers uke their scale lengths will vary. It's general classificaiton when you say 15" is a concert size . I measured a few and got 14 7/8, 14 3/4, 14 13/16, 15, 15 1/8 and 14 15/16.

Last edited:
Top Bottom