PDA

View Full Version : New Uke #3

freedive135
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi I'm Scott and I'm a ukeaholic.
I started 6 weeks ago and can't stop.
I don't need help I can stop anytime I want!!!!

Went to the local Ukulele store tonight before my lesson to pickup "Ralph Shaw's Strumming DVD" and told myself I cannot buy another uke yet....
I have been drooling over a Koalana Concert and Soprano from day 1.

I got my dvd and strummed the Concert for a while then picked up the Soprano and it sounds Sooooo much smoother than my Johnson does (sounds better with the new strings though).
I figured why not get it..... then I saw the 4in crack down the back.
Well I guess it wasn't ment to be when the store guy handed me a Kala Soprano and said "It matches the Tenor you got two weeks ago and it's a third the price" Had it on sale for 59.00$.

Need I say more.....
Here it is with my Tenor my Johnson has a new home in the car.

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
hahaha. you poor s.o.b. The only cure of course is to buy more. Eventually you will drive yourself into utter poverty, or alienate everyone who has ever loved you. Either way, it will be ok, because you'll still have your ukes.....

VengefulTikiGod
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
hahaha. you poor s.o.b. The only cure of course is to buy more. Eventually you will drive yourself into utter poverty, or alienate everyone who has ever loved you. Either way, it will be ok, because you'll still have your ukes.....

:D:D:D

Sigged. Words to live by.

Guting
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Holy Cow !

Bassukuguy
07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey freedive135,

Together we have the full set, i have the Kala KA-C concert. Well someone just needs to buy the baritone, but thats like the "Special" little(or big in this case) cousin to this line.

you will not regret buying these uke's everyone is a blessing and should be treated at such!

congrats on your good case of UAS sir
Bassukuguy

14twelve
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Congrats on uke no. 3!! I'm sure there will be many more to come :)

Kanaka916
07-10-2008, 05:00 AM
I would just love to see what would happen if you resided in the 50th state . . . Kamaka, Ko'olau, Kanile'a, GString, KoAloha, Tangi, Moore Bettah, Maui Music, Koa Works, etc.

russ_buss
07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
i like the photo! it's like big bro, lil' bro.

or like that movie "Twins" with our current governor and danny devito.:)

UkeNinja
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Sooooo much smoother than my Johnson
That is always a good thing. $9 for a uke??? I wish the people here would come off that "it's a cheap uke, but it's expensive" thing here in Japan. Hardly any real bargain fun to be had... A nice set you have now, the classical high-G/low-G combo!

I love to read the stories of beginning ukulelists sucked into the vortex of uke lust, by the way. Who would hold the record for playing time vs. number of ukes bought???

deach
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Who would hold the record for playing time vs. number of ukes bought???

*raises hand!

36 since the end of March. Although 2 are on the way and I've only kept 3...

salukulady
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
*raises hand!

36 since the end of March. Although 2 are on the way and I've only kept 3...Wow, thought I had it bad......7 since January...I know you and your generous heart have given away a few, but where are the rest?

Boozelele
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
36 since the end of March. Although 2 are on the way and I've only kept 3...

Dude! Since you love to give out the ukes should I just email you my list? Or do you want to surprise me? (there are only three on the list, so it shouldn't be too bad for you).

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
i got a nice Kala concert (figured mango) a month or so ago, from MusicguyMike on e-blah.

sounds great, it's my everyday player.

strum in good health.

salukulady
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
By the way Freedive, that's a pretty pair of babies you've acquired....but yes, you must complete your collection and have one of each voice......it's only right and fair to all the sizes.........and a car uke is a must, you've got that right.

deach
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Dude! Since you love to give out the ukes should I just email you my list? Or do you want to surprise me? (there are only three on the list, so it shouldn't be too bad for you).

I'll surprise you. Send me your address.

*googles "naked al roker singing telegram"

Boozelele
07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
oh oh oh oh...I LOVE Al Roker!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you pay him to do this...:nana: That would be sooo hot!!!

SailQwest
Freedive, those are nice ukuleles. I feel your pain about the lack of humidity. Last summer we spent 6 weeks in the mountains near Albuquerque. The lack of humidity and drastic temperature changes was hell on our ukes.

What drove me really crazy was the near-constant tuning...

salukulady
Dude! Since you love to give out the ukes should I just email you my list? Or do you want to surprise me? (there are only three on the list, so it shouldn't be too bad for you).Be careful what you wish for.........

deach
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
oh oh oh oh...I LOVE Al Roker!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you pay him to do this...:nana: That would be sooo hot!!!

I'm sending an envelope full of $1 bills with him.

Boozelele
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm sending an envelope full of $1 bills with him.

Ok, now everyone at the same time close your eyes and imagine a naked Al Roker standing at your door doing this....:nana:...now picture him doing the same thing while holding your new uke in his right hand.....tell me that's not hot!

SailQwest
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok, now everyone at the same time close your eyes and imagine a naked Al Roker standing at your door doing this....:nana:...now picture him doing the same thing while holding your new uke in his right hand.....tell me that's not hot!

For me it would depend on the ukulele! :D

deach
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
For me it would depend on the ukulele! :D

Big Al Roker has a Baritone ukulele!!!

SailQwest
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Oh, well in that case, send him on over! :p

Boozelele
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM

ha! Im sure he does...Im sure he does.

salukulady
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Okay, you're scaring the newbies.........

Bassukuguy
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
you mean all of deach's presents are not delivered by naked national weather-men? im never entering a contest ever again...

no thats a lie. I quite enjoy free stuff but i request Wilford Brimley... i mean, gotta go *runs away*

ichadwick
07-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I thought I had a bad case of UAS with seven at one time, until I met a chap from a town nearby who boasted 45 ukes in his collection (I was selling him his 46th...).

Now THAT's a serious case. I have a long way to go to catch up...

deach
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM

no thats a lie. I quite enjoy free stuff but i request Wilford Brimley... i mean, gotta go *runs away*

Die a beet ussss

salukulady
07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Die a beet ussssway too much T.V. Deach.....

deach
07-11-2008, 05:34 AM
way too much T.V. Deach.....

I work from home. :confused:

salukulady
07-11-2008, 05:46 AM
I work from home. :confused:me too, I'm a mom. It's a little sad I knew exactly what you were referring to........

deach
07-11-2008, 05:49 AM
me too, I'm a mom.

An under-appreciated job.

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 06:09 AM
I work from home, too, but home moves around quite a bit!:D

salukulady
07-11-2008, 06:26 AM
An under-appreciated job.I got four great kids and I love my job.....

salukulady
07-11-2008, 06:39 AM
I work from home, too, but home moves around quite a bit!:DMy husband and I seriously thought of living on a boat when we first got married, we even looked at 65' MacGregors. Back then when they were still in production they were only $145,000., a relatively cheap house. We only had one child at the time and slip fees weren't so bad. Problem is, I get sea sick and I was afraid I might never acquire my sea legs. So, instead of buying a boat, we live across the street from the beach.

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
My husband and I seriously thought of living on a boat when we first got married, we even looked at 65' MacGregors. Back then when they were still in production they were only $145,000., a relatively cheap house. We only had one child at the time and slip fees weren't so bad. Problem is, I get sea sick and I was afraid I might never acquire my sea legs. So, instead of buying a boat, we live across the street from the beach.

Probably a good decision...and now with fuel prices so high, filling up a power boat is a heart stopper!

salukulady
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Probably a good decision...and now with fuel prices so high, filling up a power boat is a heart stopper! http://www.macgregor26.com/65/65.htm it was a sailboat...

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
http://www.macgregor26.com/65/65.htm it was a sailboat...

D'uh, I knew that...I was having a blonde moment. Actually we know people with a Hatteras named McGregor, which is why I was thinking powerboat (in a weird, convoluted kind-of way).

That MacGregor is a beauty. When I lived in Colorado I had a friend with a 26' MacGregor that I crewed for a few times.

salukulady
07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
D'uh, I knew that...I was having a blonde moment. Actually we know people with a Hatteras named McGregor, which is why I was thinking powerboat (in a weird, convoluted kind-of way).

That MacGregor is a beauty. When I lived in Colorado I had a friend with a 26' MacGregor that I crewed for a few times.We love the 26'. Have toyed with the idea of buying one over the years. Should have bought one years ago when they were only $12.000 brand new with a motor. Did you know he designed the 26' so that you can ski behind it? MacGregor Boats is located in Newport Beach CA. Roger MacGregor gave my husband a tour of of his shop. Besides being an innovative boat builder, he's a really cool guy.

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Did you know he designed the 26' so that you can ski behind it?

That's crazy! What's the hull speed on a 26'?

deach
07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
That's crazy! What's the hull speed on a 26'?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one hijacking threads around here. lol

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one hijacking threads around here. lol

Um, I was really wondering how many ukuleles you could fit on a 26' MacGregor... The hull speed thing just slipped out.

BTW, my honey just caught be browsing MGM's store and said that the main reason I can't get another ukulele is because we don't have anywhere to put it. :(

deach
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Um, I was really wondering how many ukuleles you could fit on a 26' MacGregor... The hull speed thing just slipped out.

BTW, my honey just caught be browsing MGM's store and said that the main reason I can't get another ukulele is because we don't have anywhere to put it. :(

he's not going to be happy with me then.

SailQwest
07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
he's not going to be happy with me then.

Oooo, now I'm really excited!!!

freedive135
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe I should use the "well I could be spending the money on that Catalina Coronado C15 I've been looking at" when I bring home the next uke... hmmm... maybe a Pono!!!!

salukulady
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
That's crazy! What's the hull speed on a 26'?with a 60 hp outboard the 26 will go about 22 mph. www.macgregor26.com

salukulady
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Okay, back to the original subject....it the GD government ever send me the stupid refund thingy they've been promising for 4 months I'd be telling you all about the beautiful turquoise kala concert with the pearl binding I'm getting for my 12 year old daughter from Island Bazaar. www.paradiseukulele.com

SailQwest
07-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Okay, back to the original subject....it the GD government ever send me the stupid refund thingy they've been promising for 4 months I'd be telling you all about the beautiful turquoise kala concert with the pearl binding I'm getting for my 12 year old daughter from Island Bazaar. www.paradiseukulele.com

Wow! She'll love it!

deach
07-12-2008, 02:13 AM
www.paradiseukulele.com

I'm, confused. :confused:

SailQwest
07-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm, confused. :confused:

Yeah, the link lead to something weird...but I've seen those pretty turquoise Kalas before...

deach
07-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Yeah, the link lead to something weird...but I've seen those pretty turquoise Kalas before...

The kind PlainSong has, right?

deach
07-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Oooo, now I'm really excited!!!

Does your dinghy have any storage space? Tubas are kinda large.

SailQwest
07-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Does your dinghy have any storage space? Tubas are kinda large.

A tuba?!? Now how did you know that I used to be a brass player?

But seriously, I think we may have to clear out some old linens or something to make room for more ukuleles.

salukulady
07-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah, the link lead to something weird...but I've seen those pretty turquoise Kalas before...Opps! My bad....it's ukuleleparadise.com and here is the page..... http://www.limboland.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IB&Category_Code=conukes

Plainsong
07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
A tuba?!? Now how did you know that I used to be a brass player?

But seriously, I think we may have to clear out some old linens or something to make room for more ukuleles.

"Do you have any extra towels?"

"No, but here's a ukulele! Play this, and when you snap out of your trance, you'll be dry."