PDA

View Full Version : Looking at my uke collection in my signature...

J_Tay81
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
...what gaps do you see? What ukulele type/style/make am I sorely lacking? I don't play amped or do gigs. Just for fun around the house for family.

Thoughts?

Plainsong
01-09-2011, 11:09 AM
You're missing a concert scale, and you're missing a "K-brand" or anything with solid koa, just as an idea. What do you see or hear in your ideal uke?

J_Tay81
01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
You're missing a concert scale, and you're missing a "K-brand" or anything with solid koa, just as an idea. What do you see or hear in your ideal uke?

I was looking at a concert scale. This one in fact:
http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck65d/master.html

It looks kind of funky and modern (which I like), and MGM has one setup, shipped, with a case for the same price as my local Music Mart.

I like the Makala I got from MGM because the action is just absolutely spot-on; a real joy to play. It just doesn't project too much. I also tend top like a more mellow sound - I dislike a tinny, brash-sounding ukulele.

Here's Ken Middleton picking away at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQu9ufbz5Ag

pdxuke
01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Depends, of course what you want your collection to look like.

You could add: a made in USA uke (by a Luthier; my Sprucehouse SO for sale is just such an example)
A Vintage Mahogany, like a Gibson, Gretsch or Martin
Certainly a Koa, if that;'s what you like.

I prefer mahogany ukes. But that doesn't mean I won't add a Kamaka pineapple to my collection! But since I like vintage ukes, I'll probably hope for an old one.

So I guess it all depends upon what you want to accomplish with your collection.

experimentjon
01-09-2011, 11:44 AM

+1

After you pick up that concert Ohana, you should definitely consider moving upmarket to one of the Hawaiian K-brands. You won't regret the decision. :)

Lori
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
You might consider a Mainland concert Mango, or maybe for something different a resonator ukulele. A Koa uke is a good addition too. Then there are the long-necked ukes... Super Soprano (concert neck on soprano body), Super Concert (tenor neck on concert body).

–Lori

mybote
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
You definately need a resonator uke. I jut got a Recording King. Paid $250.00 for it. Changed the strings to Aquilas. Big improvement. I like it.

TCK
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I didn't see a baritone in that list either- they are a ton of fun

Skottoman
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Do you have one that was purchased on, or represents a special trip? Occasion? That's what you need. You will treasure it most. Regardless of size or look.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Plainsong
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
The Flea is US-made I think, so technically that is ticked. And there's the custom-made, there's the super-sized. I'll add the idea of the steel string electric and banjo uke. It's all just a matter of saving the pennies. :)

sailor
01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
perhaps a nice, solid Hawaiian concert/super concert?
by the way...how do you like your ohana pk25g? i'm thinking of picking one up this week. love the look, but can't find a lot of info.
cheers.

mm stan
01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
What is your current budget at?? always nice to upgrade into Hawaiian "K" brands...you always could look for a second hand one if budget is and issue...Good Luck!!
Wait till a nice one comes along and save up in the meantime...you have alot of ukes to play anyway....Good Luck!! Happy Strummings.. MM Stan

70sSanO
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I see from your "current" signature that you have added a SpruceHouse SO, possibly pdxuke's, so I guess you found something to add.

As others have said, a lot depends on you want your collection to be. I think that it is good to have some direction because it is way too easy to just buy a bunch of ukuleles and then decide that half of them are not the direction you want to go.

I have owned a KoAloha, a great little soprano, but after getting a tenor, I just didn't care for the soprano size. I almost bought a Kanile'a, another great ukulele, but I decided that for me, the non-production, I like to say off-the beaten path ukulele has the most appeal.

John

pdxuke
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Here's what I did: I decided that buying and trying many different ukes, even if I then sold some of them at a slight loss, was the cost of my education. I do not regret this; as a result, within the year, I've played many ukes for as long as I needed to be able to tell if they were for me, and if they weren't, moved them out. As a result, a focus has emerged for me. This may work for you as well.

J_Tay81
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I see from your "current" signature that you have added a SpruceHouse SO, possibly pdxuke's, so I guess you found something to add.

John

You are correct! :)

J_Tay81
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's what I did: I decided that buying and trying many different ukes, even if I then sold some of them at a slight loss, was the cost of my education. I do not regret this; as a result, within the year, I've played many ukes for as long as I needed to be able to tell if they were for me, and if they weren't, moved them out. As a result, a focus has emerged for me. This may work for you as well.

This is the approach I am taking. Is it cost effective? HA! :)
But am I learning anything about what I like/dislike? Absolutely.
As an example, my first uke was the Kala tenor. A great uke, but too much like playing a slightly smaller guitar. I think the Kala is a great uke, but I may sell it as I tend to be more focused on soprano or concert size now. I also like vintage stuff, too.

pdxuke
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
This is the approach I am taking. Is it cost effective? HA! :)
But am I learning anything about what I like/dislike? Absolutely.
As an example, my first uke was the Kala tenor. A great uke, but too much like playing a slightly smaller guitar. I think the Kala is a great uke, but I may sell it as I tend to be more focused on soprano or concert size now. I also like vintage stuff, too.

I build the loss into my collection budget. If I lived near Elderly, or a big shop that sold lots of different ukes, I probably would not have to buy so many and the learning curve would have been faster, because I could play them in the shop. Still, I would not trade the way I've done it: I really have spent a good deal of time with a uke getting to know it before I sell it this way.

Collecting and purchasing ukes is a subjective thing.

BadLands Bart
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
You need a "K" brand uke.

wickedwahine11
01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
You need a "K" brand uke.

Yep, I agree. Like a lot of others have said in this thread. I wouldn't buy anything else if I were you until I got a K brand. :)

J_Tay81
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
What is a "K" brand ukulele? Is that like a Kamaka?

Plainsong
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
It's what we call the Made In Hawaii ukes. Yes, that's like a Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanile'a, Ko'olau, with honorable mention I think to Kielii (did I spell that right?). Also I'll throw Collings in there because while not made in Hawaii, their reputation is solid (for greater values of Solid). I'd mention G-String also, but they don't seem to be with us anymore. It's important to note that those names are not written in order of importance. They're all up there, and it's down to personal preference.

fabioponta
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I knew the ukulele in February 2010. Since then, I began with ukleles flights from U$50. I went through five sopranos ukes that price and then sold it all. Then I started with solid ukes (what a change!) and tried various woods: italian spruce, mahogany, maple, brasilian walnut and finally hawaiian koa ... I tried three brands of solid koa: koaloha, Mele and Tangi.
Now I have only three ukes, of which I no doubt: koaloha soprano, koaloha superconcert and hope to get my koaloha pikake concert. Different tones, I found the perfect timber for my ukes. Mahogany was also very good, but I still prefer koa.

Plainsong
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
My bad, I forgot Mele and Tangi, and I even played a nice Tangi concert a local player has and loves to bits.

Teek
01-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Cigar box uke!

70sSanO
01-10-2011, 04:31 PM
It has been my understanding that that a "K" ukulele is one of the big 3... Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanile'a.

Kamaka is by far the oldest dating back almost 100 years. From that standpoint it could probably be said that they set the standard for Hawaiian ukuleles.

KoAloha and Kanile'a started making ukuleles in the mid-1990's. They are considered equal quality with Kamaka.

While they are all excellent, the owners of each will extol the virtues of the "K" brand they prefer, but will highly acknowldege the other 2 "K" brands.

John

pdxuke
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
It has been my understanding that that a "K" ukulele is one of the big 3... Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanile'a.

Kamaka is by far the oldest dating back almost 100 years. From that standpoint it could probably be said that they set the standard for Hawaiian ukuleles.

KoAloha and Kanile'a started making ukuleles in the mid-1990's. They are considered equal quality with Kamaka.

While they are all excellent, the owners of each will extol the virtues of the "K" brand they prefer, but will highly acknowldege the other 2 "K" brands.

John

This is also my understanding.

The K brand I want to add to my collection is a Kamaka pineapple, from the inventor of that uke.