Looking at my uke collection in my signature...

J_Tay81

Reaction score
...what gaps do you see? What ukulele type/style/make am I sorely lacking? I don't play amped or do gigs. Just for fun around the house for family.

Thoughts?

You're missing a concert scale, and you're missing a "K-brand" or anything with solid koa, just as an idea. What do you see or hear in your ideal uke?

You're missing a concert scale, and you're missing a "K-brand" or anything with solid koa, just as an idea. What do you see or hear in your ideal uke?

I was looking at a concert scale. This one in fact:
http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck65d/master.html

It looks kind of funky and modern (which I like), and MGM has one setup, shipped, with a case for the same price as my local Music Mart.

I like the Makala I got from MGM because the action is just absolutely spot-on; a real joy to play. It just doesn't project too much. I also tend top like a more mellow sound - I dislike a tinny, brash-sounding ukulele.

Here's Ken Middleton picking away at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQu9ufbz5Ag

Last edited:
Depends, of course what you want your collection to look like.

You could add: a made in USA uke (by a Luthier; my Sprucehouse SO for sale is just such an example)
A Vintage Mahogany, like a Gibson, Gretsch or Martin
Certainly a Koa, if that;'s what you like.

I prefer mahogany ukes. But that doesn't mean I won't add a Kamaka pineapple to my collection! But since I like vintage ukes, I'll probably hope for an old one.

So I guess it all depends upon what you want to accomplish with your collection.

+1

After you pick up that concert Ohana, you should definitely consider moving upmarket to one of the Hawaiian K-brands. You won't regret the decision. :)

You might consider a Mainland concert Mango, or maybe for something different a resonator ukulele. A Koa uke is a good addition too. Then there are the long-necked ukes... Super Soprano (concert neck on soprano body), Super Concert (tenor neck on concert body).

–Lori

You definately need a resonator uke. I jut got a Recording King. Paid $250.00 for it. Changed the strings to Aquilas. Big improvement. I like it.

Do you have one that was purchased on, or represents a special trip? Occasion? That's what you need. You will treasure it most. Regardless of size or look.
Cheers,
Skottoman

The Flea is US-made I think, so technically that is ticked. And there's the custom-made, there's the super-sized. I'll add the idea of the steel string electric and banjo uke. It's all just a matter of saving the pennies. :)

perhaps a nice, solid Hawaiian concert/super concert?
by the way...how do you like your ohana pk25g? i'm thinking of picking one up this week. love the look, but can't find a lot of info.
cheers.

What is your current budget at?? always nice to upgrade into Hawaiian "K" brands...you always could look for a second hand one if budget is and issue...Good Luck!!
Wait till a nice one comes along and save up in the meantime...you have alot of ukes to play anyway....Good Luck!! Happy Strummings.. MM Stan

I see from your "current" signature that you have added a SpruceHouse SO, possibly pdxuke's, so I guess you found something to add.

As others have said, a lot depends on you want your collection to be. I think that it is good to have some direction because it is way too easy to just buy a bunch of ukuleles and then decide that half of them are not the direction you want to go.

I have owned a KoAloha, a great little soprano, but after getting a tenor, I just didn't care for the soprano size. I almost bought a Kanile'a, another great ukulele, but I decided that for me, the non-production, I like to say off-the beaten path ukulele has the most appeal.

John

Here's what I did: I decided that buying and trying many different ukes, even if I then sold some of them at a slight loss, was the cost of my education. I do not regret this; as a result, within the year, I've played many ukes for as long as I needed to be able to tell if they were for me, and if they weren't, moved them out. As a result, a focus has emerged for me. This may work for you as well.

Here's what I did: I decided that buying and trying many different ukes, even if I then sold some of them at a slight loss, was the cost of my education. I do not regret this; as a result, within the year, I've played many ukes for as long as I needed to be able to tell if they were for me, and if they weren't, moved them out. As a result, a focus has emerged for me. This may work for you as well.

This is the approach I am taking. Is it cost effective? HA! :)
But am I learning anything about what I like/dislike? Absolutely.
As an example, my first uke was the Kala tenor. A great uke, but too much like playing a slightly smaller guitar. I think the Kala is a great uke, but I may sell it as I tend to be more focused on soprano or concert size now. I also like vintage stuff, too.

This is the approach I am taking. Is it cost effective? HA! :)
But am I learning anything about what I like/dislike? Absolutely.
As an example, my first uke was the Kala tenor. A great uke, but too much like playing a slightly smaller guitar. I think the Kala is a great uke, but I may sell it as I tend to be more focused on soprano or concert size now. I also like vintage stuff, too.

I build the loss into my collection budget. If I lived near Elderly, or a big shop that sold lots of different ukes, I probably would not have to buy so many and the learning curve would have been faster, because I could play them in the shop. Still, I would not trade the way I've done it: I really have spent a good deal of time with a uke getting to know it before I sell it this way.

Collecting and purchasing ukes is a subjective thing.

You need a "K" brand uke.

Yep, I agree. Like a lot of others have said in this thread. I wouldn't buy anything else if I were you until I got a K brand. :)

Top Bottom