Oh yes- she WILL be mine....

mendel

Reaction score
Please excuse the reference from Waynes World. I am curious. What are your Dream Ukes??

Mine is a custom built Concert size with a look as beautiful as it's sound. I'm hoping that the Bradford Uke I am getting this year could b her. As a conversation piece, I'd love to someday own a Sceptre, and a Moore Bettah. Those are way in the future though....

the uke i've always been dreaming of is a solid koa tenor under 300 dollars :] but we all know that will never happen.

Last edited:
My ukulele "holy grail" is a solid koa tenor "K" brand, probably a Kamaka but possibly a Koaloha. I haven't had a chance to see, let alone play, a custom Moore Bettah or most others (I did see some Mya Moe ukuleles at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival), but I can't imagine wanting something more expensive than one of the K brands.

I play very hard and rhythmically, so I think I would make trash out of a high-quality uke in no time. While I really like the pretty sounds that come out of pricier ukuleles played by other people, I don't think I will ever be able to play melodically and gracefully enough to make even the best instrument sound as beautiful as it should. That's why I want a happy, percussive banjolele. As noted in another thread, I've returned my first one (a GoldTone soprano) and am now in the market for another.

one of these:
sceptre-tenor-006.jpg

one of those:
pineapple-sunday-tenor-009.jpg

and how about a:
909a.JPG

and how could i possibly live without a:
3561324170_a6057ffc5d_b.jpg

oooh! and the very instructional:
http://stickersanddonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/moustache-ukulele-front.jpg
http://stickersanddonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/moustache-ukulele-back.jpg

okay. that's all for now.

My uke wish list keeps me up at night. I've got it bad (and that ain't good).

A Mya-Moe concert. Probably a classic, but maybe blingless. With pickup because why not. And I imagine it as a blondie. I love the idea of mango and the look of blond myrtle. I'll keep an open mind there. And I want more blond on the headstock logo of the two colors. I could save money by going blingless but I've always wanted maple binding. If you want maple binding then when having one built is the time to get it. I loved the maple binding on my old MP uke. I'm thinking mostly of the fretboard in this case.

After that, it's up in the air. I should get a tenor, because it's a tenor. That would perhaps be a Kamaka or a Collings. I've ruled out Koaloha because of the nut width. I've got a 1.5" nut on the Kanile'a already. It's wonderful and nice for variety but I prefer the smaller size.

And a Kamaka concert, because it's the first uke I ever noticed. I got the idea originally from George in the Beatles Anthology. It holds a special place for me even though I've never played one and people pull me aside specifically to tell me not to buy a Kamaka. I can't help it. It just calls to me. It's also THE benchmark. There are better concert ukes and worse concert ukes, but it's the benchmark. A minus is those stupid cotton-filled tuners. And you can't change em because Kamaka and Schaller are like peas and carrots.

Or maybe I'd switch those around and get a Collings concert and a Kamaka tenor. But I'm apprehensive about doing that because I love the Mainland so much, I don't want another mahogany concert getting in the way of that. But oh, what a problem to have. :)

I'd like to have a Koaloha, but I don't see where one fits in. I feel better about that now because my husband could have the D-VI, and so we'd have one in the house and I can hear it being played.

After that, I'd be done. I want there to be a stopping point. I'd rather play the instruments and have them be keepers. Obviously these all hit the wallet pretty hard. No huge shopping sprees for me.

Last edited:
And a Kamaka concert, because it's the first uke I ever noticed. I got the idea originally from George in the Beatles Anthology. It holds a special place for me even though I've never played one and people pull me aside specifically to tell me not to buy a Kamaka.

Might I ask why? A lot of us here on UU have Kamakas and love them. I much prefer my Kamaka over my Kanile'a or KoAloha (but admittedly my KoAloha is not a tenor so that might be a case of apples v. oranges).

Aloha Mendel,
My choice of a dream uke would be, not so much of maker or brand....just simply to sound devine....I'm a simple guy....who's looking for a complex, clean, crisp, clear, individual notes with a hint of richness...Happy Strummings..MM Stan
Maybe Chuck is the man....

Last edited:
also, the one that everyone wants - jake shimabukuro signature kamaka :]. hmmm. even if i ever win the lottery and buy it using half of the money i won, i probably wouldn't play it... just keep it in a glass case...

Please excuse the reference from Waynes World. I am curious. What are your Dream Ukes??

Mine is a custom built Concert size with a look as beautiful as it's sound. I'm hoping that the Bradford Uke I am getting this year could b her. As a conversation piece, I'd love to someday own a Sceptre, and a Moore Bettah. Those are way in the future though....

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?19922-Dream-Uke/
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?21934-What-s-your-dream-uke/
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?10285-Dream-Uke!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23017-If-you-could-have-any-uke.../

Already have it I figure
attachment.php

But I will continue buying them because my bank account hates to be flush

hey i just remembered this one.

it's a la'au ku'i (means "bringing together) from koaloha. it's made from ebony, spruce, mango, coco bola and hawaiian koa.

laau_kui_custom_002.jpg

sweet!

A Kiwaya Tenor 3M style....

I guess my dream uke is the one I will be able to play with some kind of semblance of talent. I figure I'll give it 10 years, see if I'm still here, still have a uke, and the arthritis is manageable.

I do wish sometimes that someday my mom would let me have her Martin bari, but due to unfortunate circumstances, likely not.

BUT I'm very happy with the ukes I have!

Actually, I'm curious as well, seeing as how I'm planning to buy a Kamaka. Could you please let me know as well why people keep telling you not to buy a Kamaka? Thanks!

Me three! I've got two and can't imagine there's anything I'd love playing more.

Top Bottom