It's amazing how attached you can get to a uke...

OldePhart

Reaction score
Like the title says, it's amazing how attached you can get to a uke that isn't "special" in the traditional sense.

Yesterday I ordered an Oahu case from MGM for my Mainland mango tenor because since I have put fluorocarbon strings on it I have become so attached to it that I decided it was worthy of a better case than the "lightweight hardshell" case that I'd stolen from my Lanikai.

So, yeah, I ordered an almost $100 case for my ~$300 (discounting pickup) Mainland uke.

It's crazy, I play that Mainland probably three times more than my very nice KoAloha concert. I've been trying to tell myself that it's because I don't mind laying the Mainland on a shelf where I can pick it up for short "ukulele breaks" throughout my work day but...nah...that doesn't 'splain why I also go to it first when the work day is over!

There is absolutely no denying that the KoAloha tone is louder and a bit richer, nor that the koa of the KoAloha is prettier than the mango, and in fact I still don't much care for the rope binding on the Mainland, yet for some crazy reason I keep finding myself playing the Mainland! I spent a lot of time playing the Mainland while rehearsing for our Christmas service - maybe I now prefer the tenor scale to the concert? Whatever the reason, if I could only keep one uke it would probably be the Mainland rather than the KoAloha - crazy, I know, and I can't even 'splain it myself.

John

I know just what you mean. I am pathologically attached to my Kamaka pineapple. I smile when I walk into the room and see it. If my house was burning down, I'd find a way to grab my dogs, purse, AND the Kamaka. If anyone ever tried to tear it away from me, I'd cry like Dorothy having Toto taken away. It's amazing how a small, inaminate object can have so much emotion attached to it.

i have a guitar like this. it gets no respect (i don't get much either) when i play it in public. but the sound makes people shut up. it's the cheapest guitar i own, and not the prettiest. i may also like it more than the others because it was such a good deal. it's made by rockbridge, btw. congratulations on finding another good deal.

I feel the same way about my new Mainland mahogany concert. It's got a vibe to it. A "play me" factor. And it just feels at home in my hands. I think the neck is way too heavy, but I still reach for this uke. So right now I can't have out my nicer ukes, but it's probably not going to change how I feel about the uke once we get some humidity in here.

My Kanile'a is way more complex. The Howlett is way more plucky, but the Mainland suits me.

I really like the idea of mango. I'm hoping to save that idea for a Mya-Moe.

I know just what you mean. I am pathologically attached to my Kamaka pineapple. I smile when I walk into the room and see it. If my house was burning down, I'd find a way to grab my dogs, purse, AND the Kamaka. If anyone ever tried to tear it away from me, I'd cry like Dorothy having Toto taken away. It's amazing how a small, inaminate object can have so much emotion attached to it.

Hi Natalie--

Is your Kamaka a vintage, or newer? I'd love to hear about it, since it's on my wish list.

Like the title says, it's amazing how attached you can get to a uke that isn't "special" in the traditional sense.

Yesterday I ordered an Oahu case from MGM for my Mainland mango tenor because since I have put fluorocarbon strings on it I have become so attached to it that I decided it was worthy of a better case than the "lightweight hardshell" case that I'd stolen from my Lanikai.

So, yeah, I ordered an almost $100 case for my ~$300 (discounting pickup) Mainland uke.

It's crazy, I play that Mainland probably three times more than my very nice KoAloha concert. I've been trying to tell myself that it's because I don't mind laying the Mainland on a shelf where I can pick it up for short "ukulele breaks" throughout my work day but...nah...that doesn't 'splain why I also go to it first when the work day is over!

There is absolutely no denying that the KoAloha tone is louder and a bit richer, nor that the koa of the KoAloha is prettier than the mango, and in fact I still don't much care for the rope binding on the Mainland, yet for some crazy reason I keep finding myself playing the Mainland! I spent a lot of time playing the Mainland while rehearsing for our Christmas service - maybe I now prefer the tenor scale to the concert? Whatever the reason, if I could only keep one uke it would probably be the Mainland rather than the KoAloha - crazy, I know, and I can't even 'splain it myself.

John

Yeah man, I feel ya; I've also gotten really attached to my mainland mango tenor since I put flurocarbons on it. It's not quite as plucky now, but it's got such a sweet sound to it now, definitely a huge step above the aquilas. I do actually like the rope binding. A lot. Judging form the pics on the web I wasn't a big fan of it at first but seeing it in person is completely different. I'm kind bummed right now cause I'm having someone install a pick-up in my mainland and I won't have it till Tuesday but it's all good cause I still got my lanikai.

Aloha John,
Psst...There's this concert case I bought and thought is the best...Vinyl hardcase with thick plush interior..fits my kamaka tenor snug...
Paid 59.99...now on sale 35.67 sheesh... http://accessories.musiciansfriend....UC3-Hardshell-Concert-Ukulele-Case?sku=544056
I enjoy this one the best and since it well made, it's slightly on the heavy side...and for me, I like the thick handle....Happy Strummings, MM Stan

I know what you mean....I feel that I could never part with my Ohana TK-50G and I bought it used on the bay for next to nothing. It's just so versatile.

g'day John

Alas, this seems to be the stuff that UAS is made of!!!

As I've bought more ukes over the past couple of years, I've grown such a collection, and yet find any of them very difficult to sell. Each has its own story and an enormous amount of sentimental value. I've still even got a scratched up ol' sky ble Mahalo that cost $20 and I play it regularly! It's been all around the state with me, on camping trips, countless parties, had drinks spilt on it and has fantastic memories under its skin. I could never part with it. :)

Still lovin my Kamaka concert I got right after you got your Kamaka Pineapple, Natalie. Had just missed out on two that were at NC Ukulele Academy trying to decide between a tenor or a concert. Checked the Artisan Guitar website where you got yours and it was there waiting for me.

Played it yesterday. Back and forth between the Kamaka and KoAloha concert. The KoAloha was just restrung with Worth CM and sounds incredible; better than when I first got it.

But when I pick up the Kamaka . . . magic . . .so sweet.

I know what you mean about the Mainland... I think that either the rope pattern has some sort of hypnotic, mesmerizing effect, or else Mike slips some mind-control fumes in there somehow!

Yeah, guys, I can understand it. I can even relate to it. I have a Cordoba Concert10CM that isn't expensive, or particularly pretty, but I think the sound is awesome. I look at other people's more expensive ukes and say "oh, that's nice", but I'd rather have mine.
I guess I'm attached to it, you might say.

I think we resonate with certain instruments on many different levels.

Sound, quality, appearance, feel, ease of playing, pride of ownership, etc.

It may be, at different times of our lives, we may 'resonate' with several or a different
one of our ukes.

It's a wonderful thing. They become part of us in some way. And it's wonderful that
they are so portable and unassuming. Imagine being 'attached' to an instrument that
you couldn't bring along with you everywhere, or that you couldn't play everywhere.

"Uke can do it all!"

Keep uke'in',

PS I'm attached to the ukulele. I currently play and carry around an older Applause
acoustic Adamas red soprano. Prior to that it was a Kala Soprano Travel uke.
Generally it's my latest acquisition.

I know what you mean about the Mainland... I think that either the rope pattern has some sort of hypnotic, mesmerizing effect, or else Mike slips some mind-control fumes in there somehow!

Heh, heh. That sounds like as good a reason as any!

John

You've sure come a long way in your Mainland love since your "you guys better not be lying" thread. ;)

Thx John....now I want to check out a Mainland Mango Tenor. The title of your thread could easily be changed to "It's amazing how quickly you can get excited about a new uke"

Heh, heh. That sounds like as good a reason as any!

John

I just now noticed your sig. That's a joke between my husband and I. When I start talking about something that bores him, like ukes, his eyes glaze over and he starts humming the music from the scene in your sig, to remind me of what's going on in his head. :)

I just now noticed your sig. That's a joke between my husband and I. When I start talking about something that bores him, like ukes, his eyes glaze over and he starts humming the music from the scene in your sig, to remind me of what's going on in his head. :)

Heh, heh. I saw that on YouTube tonight and I just had to make an animated gif of it!

John

Top Bottom