PDA

View Full Version : Ohana SK-30L Strings

stuben
01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I am considering buying this Uke, has any one got string recommendations, what size strings? Tenor only or will Concert/Soprano strings work. Right now I play in mostly GCEA or regular tuning.

Also did you get a case with yours? What size?

marymac
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't have one of these but I see it does have a tenor neck so I would think that tenor scale strings are in order. I'll be curious to hear your impressions and a sound sample if you do get this!

mm stan
01-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Aloha Stuben,
It depends how your ukulele sounds now ....if it's kinda flat sounding...maybe aquila's........ if it's too bright, some fleurocarbons..maybe worths...
Listen to your ukulele and it will tell you....Good Luck!! MM Stan Let us know what you get....

Mouthy1
01-10-2011, 04:58 AM
I have one and the factory strings(Hilo's I think-black) are pretty good. I love the uke actually. Sounds more Hawaiian than a lot of my soprano's with the exception of my Kamaka. I am going to get rid of it since I have 14 ukes and need some car stuff but it is a great uke and I don't think you will be disappointed. I really wouldn't mess with the strings frankly and that is coming from a guy that likes to mess with strings!

okie dokie
01-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Hi
Mouthy1 or Stuben seeing that this ukulele has a tenor neck on it would you be so kind and measure the width of the neck at the nut.

Thank you kindly...

Mouthy1
01-10-2011, 05:45 AM
I will try to do that for you but I make no promises since I have 2 kids and am leaving tomorrow for 5 days. It is possible it will be really wild tonight when i get home. I will try to remember and send it off. GReat uke.

strumsilly
01-10-2011, 06:06 AM
I have one and the factory strings(Hilo's I think-black) are pretty good. I love the uke actually. Sounds more Hawaiian than a lot of my soprano's with the exception of my Kamaka. I am going to get rid of it since I have 14 ukes and need some car stuff but it is a great uke and I don't think you will be disappointed. I really wouldn't mess with the strings frankly and that is coming from a guy that likes to mess with strings!

My Kiwaya came with black Hilo's [ I think] , and I really like them.

since mouthy is getting rid of his , and you are interested in buying one... sounds like a match made in heaven.

Mouthy1
01-10-2011, 06:17 AM
At least a possible match made on UU? Ha ha. Yeah, if they are interested , let me know. I am pretty easy. May sell my Kala travel tenor too just to get some more money. I am a uke nut and a car nut, not an easy life!

stuben
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM

You can reach me at stuart@ix.netcom.com

stuben
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks MM Stan,

Just changed to Martin M600s on my Kala Concert, like them a lot, the Aquilas were just a little to hard on my ear.

stuben
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
email me, stuart@ix.netcom.com

Mouthy1
01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi stuben, I just sent off an email. I just got to a computer. $105 shipped is the gist of my wayyyyy to wordy email to you.

Total Ukphoria
01-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi,
I have this uku and I would be happy to help anyone decide if they one to get one. It is my favorite of all my 6 ukus, all of which were $200 bucks or less. It has a very distinct "plucky" sound which is what I like in a soprano uku. I put Aquila tenor strings on it and they sound very nice. It was plucky with either set of strings for the record.
I really enjoy this thing! Questions are welcome.