Ohana SK-30L Strings

stuben

Reaction score
I am considering buying this Uke, has any one got string recommendations, what size strings? Tenor only or will Concert/Soprano strings work. Right now I play in mostly GCEA or regular tuning.

Also did you get a case with yours? What size?

I don't have one of these but I see it does have a tenor neck so I would think that tenor scale strings are in order. I'll be curious to hear your impressions and a sound sample if you do get this!

Aloha Stuben,
It depends how your ukulele sounds now ....if it's kinda flat sounding...maybe aquila's........ if it's too bright, some fleurocarbons..maybe worths...
Listen to your ukulele and it will tell you....Good Luck!! MM Stan Let us know what you get....

I have one and the factory strings(Hilo's I think-black) are pretty good. I love the uke actually. Sounds more Hawaiian than a lot of my soprano's with the exception of my Kamaka. I am going to get rid of it since I have 14 ukes and need some car stuff but it is a great uke and I don't think you will be disappointed. I really wouldn't mess with the strings frankly and that is coming from a guy that likes to mess with strings!

I will try to do that for you but I make no promises since I have 2 kids and am leaving tomorrow for 5 days. It is possible it will be really wild tonight when i get home. I will try to remember and send it off. GReat uke.

I have one and the factory strings(Hilo's I think-black) are pretty good. I love the uke actually. Sounds more Hawaiian than a lot of my soprano's with the exception of my Kamaka. I am going to get rid of it since I have 14 ukes and need some car stuff but it is a great uke and I don't think you will be disappointed. I really wouldn't mess with the strings frankly and that is coming from a guy that likes to mess with strings!

My Kiwaya came with black Hilo's [ I think] , and I really like them.

since mouthy is getting rid of his , and you are interested in buying one... sounds like a match made in heaven.

At least a possible match made on UU? Ha ha. Yeah, if they are interested , let me know. I am pretty easy. May sell my Kala travel tenor too just to get some more money. I am a uke nut and a car nut, not an easy life!

You can reach me at stuart@ix.netcom.com

Thanks MM Stan,

Just changed to Martin M600s on my Kala Concert, like them a lot, the Aquilas were just a little to hard on my ear.

Hi stuben, I just sent off an email. I just got to a computer. $105 shipped is the gist of my wayyyyy to wordy email to you.

Hi,
I have this uku and I would be happy to help anyone decide if they one to get one. It is my favorite of all my 6 ukus, all of which were $200 bucks or less. It has a very distinct "plucky" sound which is what I like in a soprano uku. I put Aquila tenor strings on it and they sound very nice. It was plucky with either set of strings for the record.
I really enjoy this thing! Questions are welcome.

i know this is an old thread, but i am very interested in getting the Ohana Ck-35L, would this be a good one for a newbee. i am waiting to receive a Kmise concert and came across this Ohana at a great price (aus$99 + post down from $279), but i am thinking it would be a better quality instrument than the Kmise which i am happy with given the extras if purchased separately would have cost $50 so i dont think i can go to wrong with the purchase. any suggestions or advice very welcome!! thank you

These are great fun ukes, with good tone, I don't think that you will be disappointed. :music:

Edit: I use Living Water low G concert strings on mine.

is is fair for me to think the Ohana would be a better instrument long term? better tone? the solid mahogany impresses me.
common sense tells me to stick with the Kmise, and get used to that, and be better able to make choices for future purchase. but to be honest, i am thinking of the Ohana simply because it seems such a good bargain, which i may not be able to secure in 6-12 months?
with the ohana i am thinking the soprano body with tenor neck, gives me a good mixture along with the Kmise concert to get an idea of where future preferences may lie.
again, any advice or suggestions would be a great help. i dont have any friends that can help with this. really trying to make a sensible and informed decision.
thanks again

Top Bottom