Jake Shimabukuro Documentary Teaser

peewee

Reaction score
Greetings,
I received this from a photography professor of mine from long ago. This seems like a good place to share it:

My nephew, Tad Nakamura, is working on a project that may be of interest:

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to give you a quick update with what I’ve been up to. I’m currently directing a full-length documentary on ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro. If you are not familiar with his work, Jake is an amazing musician and an absolute beast on the ukulele! The film is being produced by the Center for Asian American Media and I’m really grateful for huge opportunity they are giving me.

I wanted to share a new video I cut from some of the footage we shot with Jake in his hometown of Honolulu. I would really appreciate your help in sending this video around via e-mail, blogs, facebook, etc. I hope you dig it.

It's a beautiful segment, I wonder how they miked the uke though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the preview! My guess is that the sound is too clean to have come from the location shoot. If I were shooting it, I would have him play along to a prerecorded studio track, and then just use the studio track over the video (and not use the live audio). Since we are not staring at his fingers all the time, it is not hard to find footage that will work. Jake is so professional, that I am sure he can pretty much recreate exactly what he needs whenever he needs it.
–Lori

Excellent performance, as always! He's scheduled to be in Sacramento early this year and I hope to see him perform for the very first time.

My guess is that the sound is too clean to have come from the location shoot.

It appears that this was shot using a dSLR and they most likely used an external mic to get better audio. You can notice the clarity of the mic in the beginning conversation. You can also hear some of the background noise (birds, squeaking of the dock). Some audio, as in (0:18) and video were also mixed in. It's possible that they used the live audio for this video.

Excellent performance, as always! He's scheduled to be in Sacramento early this year and I hope to see him perform for the very first time.

It appears that this was shot using a dSLR and they most likely used an external mic to get better audio. You can notice the clarity of the mic in the beginning conversation. You can also hear some of the background noise (birds, squeaking of the dock). Some audio, as in (0:18) and video were also mixed in. It's possible that they used the live audio for this video.

I am sure the conversation is live audio. If the performance is live, then they must have some really expensive equipment. I have shot outdoors, and there are lots of audio issues, especially the breeze, motor sounds, airplanes, water...

It is possible that the dock sounds were recorded separately and added to the track as desired.

Also, they either had at least 2 cameras, or had to shoot several times from different angles. In that case, they would most likely have to choose only one audio for the entire video, since it is sometimes difficult to blend audio perfectly from different takes.

–Lori

Last edited:
I am sure the conversation is live audio. If the performance is live, then they must have some really expensive equipment. I have shot outdoors, and there are lots of audio issues, especially the breeze, motor sounds, airplanes, water...

It is possible that the dock sounds were recorded separately and added to the track as desired.

Also, they either had at least 2 cameras, or had to shoot several times from different angles. In that case, they would most likely have to choose only one audio for the entire video, since it is sometimes difficult to blend audio perfectly from different takes.

–Lori

It's possible, but really, all you need is one camera and an external mic or recorder and just sync in post.

The introduction of dSLR video and advanced editing software can make all of these possible and affordable. Check this clip out - shot using one camera (Canon 7D) and one external mic (H4n):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF6epJZmRvo

It's possible, but really, all you need is one camera and an external mic or recorder and just sync in post.

The introduction of dSLR video and advanced editing software can make all of these possible and affordable. Check this clip out - shot using one camera (Canon 7D) and one external mic (H4n):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF6epJZmRvo

Thanks for the link. These guys used the fact that the song repeats so they could use jump positions from different parts of the song. They might have done the same thing here. Indoor audio is much easier. I see a motorboat in the background on Jake's song at around 3:04, and on my little computer speakers, couldn't hear a thing. So, whatever mic used for that environment would have to have a great wind shielding device (even the slightest breeze can scuff the audio), a very focused pick-up range, with a quick fall-off in sensitivity behind Jake, since I don't hear any water lapping. The microphone would have to be able to do all these things without being in the frame, and without casting a shadow on Jake. Quite a challenge. I want to learn the tricks, for sure.

Most professional movie crews have to redo audio for exterior shots.

The documentary is looking great, and I look forward to seeing it! Will it be on the internet?

–Lori

Thanks for the link. These guys used the fact that the song repeats so they could use jump positions from different parts of the song. They might have done the same thing here. Indoor audio is much easier. I see a motorboat in the background on Jake's song at around 3:04, and on my little computer speakers, couldn't hear a thing. So, whatever mic used for that environment would have to have a great wind shielding device (even the slightest breeze can scuff the audio), a very focused pick-up range, with a quick fall-off in sensitivity behind Jake, since I don't hear any water lapping. The microphone would have to be able to do all these things without being in the frame, and without casting a shadow on Jake. Quite a challenge. I want to learn the tricks, for sure.

Most professional movie crews have to redo audio for exterior shots.

The documentary is looking great, and I look forward to seeing it! Will it be on the internet?

–Lori

I went ahead and asked the guy who shot it and this is what he said:

To:bosconian91

Glad you liked the clip. The audio is the actual audio from the dock. We a lav. mic on him which was pretty close to the uke when he was playing.

-Tad

The video was released in 2012.

You can find "Life on Four Strings" in its entirety on Amazon Prime Video, Vimeo, YouTube and other places. It's 50+ minutes long.

Top Bottom