comparison's of longnecks?

Paul Cote

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting pretty interested in the long necked sopranos and was curious about the differences. So far I have seen pictures of the Kala KA-SLNG, the AnueNue Papa Ann-P1L and the Ohana SK-30L. The Ohana has a Tenor Neck and solid mahogany. I think the other two ukes use laminate mahogany. The Ohana costs 150 vs about 75 for the Kala so I guess thats for the wood. I don't know a store which would have them save for something like elderly's so i can't compare them but am curious what are thoughts on these ukes or if there are any others that should be brought into the comparison. I like the sound of that Ohana though because it sounds like if you don't play on the neck, but over the body, it sounds sorta appalachian. (like a banjo).... and if you play on the neck, then it is quite mellow. I don't know if the Kala would also be like that or sound like a guitar or something instead.

Hi, I am getting pretty interested in the long necked sopranos and was curious about the differences. So far I have seen pictures of the Kala KA-SLNG, the AnueNue Papa Ann-P1L and the Ohana SK-30L. The Ohana has a Tenor Neck and solid mahogany. I think the other two ukes use laminate mahogany. The Ohana costs 150 vs about 75 for the Kala so I guess thats for the wood. I don't know a store which would have them save for something like elderly's so i can't compare them but am curious what are thoughts on these ukes or if there are any others that should be brought into the comparison. I like the sound of that Ohana though because it sounds like if you don't play on the neck, but over the body, it sounds sorta appalachian. (like a banjo).... and if you play on the neck, then it is quite mellow. I don't know if the Kala would also be like that or sound like a guitar or something instead.

Can't forget the KoAloha long neck soprano http://www.youtube.com/user/keonimanua#p/u/10/pwpv9f2QEOM

I'd recommend playing one of those tenor neck sopranos before you buy. I got to play one that Mim had and I didn't like it. It wasn't balanced.

I have the Anuenue, and I like it quite a bit...it doesn't measure up to my Koaloha, but it's 1/4 the price. Well built, sounds good.

I also have the Anuenue Papa I.
I'm new to uke but I like it.
Very well built for the price point and sounds great to me.

I can't speak to long neck sopranos, but my super concert KoAloha is truly super.
I would be concerned about the longer scale of a tenor neck over powering a small body.
My super concert is much louder than any concert I have ever played.

I LOVE the sound of the G-String longneck soprano that I bought from Nuprin. I already had a KoAloha Super Concert (tenor neck/concert body) but I think that the concert neck w/soprano body is a GREAT combination. I LOVE it & just a note.... you might want to wait until after NAMM to decide. I've heard of at least one new longneck uke coming out from one of our fellow UU represented uke makers.

I don't have a K-brand or similar tenor to compare to, but my Kanile'a superconcert is an interesting mix. It doesn't sound like a concert. And I swear I think it has more bass than any tenor I've heard, but is not a tenor. It's closer to tenor, but it's like a tenor that can ring out the higher tones if you want it to, with lots of bottom end to it. It's a different animal than a concert with a longer neck. By definition it would be, as it's not using concert strings.

Top Bottom