Capos, capos , capos

fergs1

Reaction score
Greetings peoples, just wanting to know what capos people are using on their ukes and with what sucess(the good ones, the bad ones) as I have to shop carefully in Oz as there doesn't seem a great deal of em over here
cheers fergs

cheap mando capo here too - dont find the need to use it much though, but I only play soprano or concert

I've got a shubb mandolin capo but never use it

Once upon a time, I tuned my tenor to Bb so I picked up a Kyser banjo capo to be able to play in C without transposing. It works, but I never did like it.

I now tune my tenors to C, and I keep the capo in the case so I will have extra weight to lug around for no reason...

...which never occurred to me before now, so I will be taking it out of the case when I get home.

John

They did a uke minutes on accesories and capos came up. Mandolin capos are good for ukes because they both have a small size.

index finger :)

g'day fergs,

there's a great "uke-specific" elastic capo made by Dunlop that sells for only $3.95 on fleamarketmusic. They work great, you can slide em up and down to change key and they are really durable little things. Order a few at that price!!!!

Also, the kyser guitar capos are great too but because they are so long and bulky, I find it very difficult to make the chord shapes without feeling restricted.

I've never liked using a capo on any of my ukulele's. I've tried on my baritone, but even with it's lower tuning and longer scale length, I find it just makes the ukulele sound tinny and dull. I usually just transpose a song until it's in my range.

g'day fergs,

there's a great "uke-specific" elastic capo made by Dunlop that sells for only $3.95 on fleamarketmusic. They work great, you can slide em up and down to change key and they are really durable little things. Order a few at that price!!!!

Also, the kyser guitar capos are great too but because they are so long and bulky, I find it very difficult to make the chord shapes without feeling restricted.

I have that Dunlop. It's fine. Hardly use it tho. Figured with 4 strings i could just learn the blimmin' chords.

Greetings peoples, thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone know if the shubb uke capo is available yet? I find it interesting that some of you are dismissive of capos, I konw there is a kind of snobbery that exists in the guitar world regarding capos, the "just use your finger kind of thing" but as Keith Richards well knows a chord fretted by a capo sounds different to thst same chord fretted by a finger. Also if you play a chord seqence in the open position and then repeat it capoed further up, apart from the transposing of the chord there can be a magical shift in the relationship between the harmonising strings, due in part to the resonant frequency of the instrument which may make one or more notes stand out giving it a zing. Any other capo suggestions?
cheers fergs

I use a Kyser 6 string capo that works perfectly. I had originally bought it for my guitar, but it's transitioned well to my ukulele (which is what I play more now). Got it on Amazon for fairly cheap from what I remember. Less than $15.

I've been sent a cool new capo to test and review, will be on my blog soon. Without giving too much away, I find the sprung / ratchet capos made of metal are overkill on the uke, and they are too heavy for such a light instrument. This new product I am reviewing changes all that... keep your eyes peeled!

I just a Kyser Banjo/Mandolin capo (received as a gift) It is quick on and off.

I use the same thing. I love the Kyser capos and use them on my guitars too (of course the banjo/mado/uke one is much smaller) but it works well, and I find it easy to put on and take off. Plus, you can clip it to the headstock while it's not in use. Some of the more "advanced" capos don't allow you to do that, which can be somewhat of an annoyance.

I have a mandolin capo and rarely use it...to me wasted money and time....but that just my preference..Good Luck and happy Strummings...MM Stan

Top Bottom