PDA

View Full Version : pickup battery?



davoomac
01-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Do those button batteries lose charge even when the pickup isn't being used? I hardly used the pickup and no sound was being produced when I plugged it into an amp. Just a week and a half ago it worked ok.

studentaccount1
01-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Do those button batteries lose charge even when the pickup isn't being used? I hardly used the pickup and no sound was being produced when I plugged it into an amp. Just a week and a half ago it worked ok.

Usually, systems are design so that the batteries are disconnected from the circuit when there is no plug in the jack. Did you check the battery to see if it is still good?

davoomac
01-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Usually, systems are design so that the batteries are disconnected from the circuit when there is no plug in the jack. Did you check the battery to see if it is still good?

Hm.. thanks for the input. well, I have nothing else to test the battery in, but upon putting it on my tongue it still has that zing of a charge. Maybe the electronics got messed up somehow? I take this uke everywhere with me, but its safe most of the time. It is really humid on guam though, anyone ever hear of the electronics getting messed up with humidity?

NukeDOC
01-26-2008, 04:52 PM
was it no sound at all or just weak sound?

try jiggling some of the wires around inside with your fingers while its plugged in. if there is a pop at all, it might just be the positioning of the plugs inside. try strumming it again after that.

try getting another battery. theyre about $7 for a pair of them. you dont know how long that battery was in your uke before you bought it. maybe it was just on its last leg. it should be a 2032 sized battery.

other than that, unless i was able to actually take a look at it, couldnt tell you. i have had to "repair" two of the pickups i have because of poor workmanship... ie too much solder on contact points, poor insulation on wiring causing exposed wires to cross currents, etc etc...

if youre not comfortable with dealing with electrical issues like this, you might want to take it to a pro to have em look at it.

davoomac
01-26-2008, 07:25 PM
When I tried it no sound came out at all. I even jiggled some of the wires a bit but no response.

Thanks for your suggestions Nukedoc. I'll give them a try when I can get another battery and use an amp again. I will probably bring it into the local ukulele hut to have them take a look at it too.