Favorite reggae song to play on the uke?

Andrewhaschesthair

Reaction score
Yeah, been into reggae for a while, but i was wondering what songs are your guys's favorite to play on the uke? :)

They aren't both reggae songs, technically, but I like to do a reggae medley of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life."

Two two chord songs, Night Nurse and Burningand Looting

do you have a links to sound files of any of these?

Gotta be Don't Worry, Be Happy!

After forgetting about my first encounter with uke on the Beatles Anthology, I remembered it when I went to a Hawaiian watch website. I wanted to play this - and now I do. :)

(wait for Flash intro to play. And props to John Peterson, the head of Bathys, for guiding me to getting my first uke. But then that also got me to stop collecting watches... sooo... yeah.)

After forgetting about my first encounter with uke on the Beatles Anthology, I remembered it when I went to a Hawaiian watch website. I wanted to play this - and now I do. :)

(wait for Flash intro to play. And props to John Peterson, the head of Bathys, for guiding me to getting my first uke. But then that also got me to stop collecting watches... sooo... yeah.)
wanted to listen but download was going to take forever!

"Red Red Wine" - the UB40 version. The song was written by Neil Diamond, but sounds better as a reggae tune.

It's a bit more Jawaiian than pure Reggae, but I'm quite fond of Fiji's "Naughty Girl." Two chords to perfection. :)
Along the two-chord vein, Bob's "Waiting in Vain" is also a classic.

Anything by UB40 BEFORE they devolved into Red Red Wine. But that's mostly because my husband is strong enough on bass to do it. If not for his basslines, I'd not bother. Madame Medusa FTW. Oh man they were great. And then Red Red Wine happened.. :wtf:

No Offense to anyone who likes the song, but there's a before and after with that band. Anders is more vocal about it than I am even.

New to the Uke, old to Reggae. Unfortunately, while I listen to it primarily, and every minute of the day (revive style- mostly pre-1970) I have found it BORING to play on a stringed instrument...vastly ignored in reggae for the most part until "Catch A Fire" (and then played by a cat from Alabama who had never heard reggae)
Of course, there are exceptions to that rule. little bits of guitar brilliance that I am working on

All the UB40 fans will recognize this original- the bassline would make a great tune to pick out

and for all the Beatles fans- Obe La Di was written about this fellow.
This tune would be another fun one to do finger picked

'Working on them means my brain has not caught up to my ambition at all, but I am getting there

For Revive Reggae- there is this fellow I know on Podomatic who is a top shelf SELECTA (shameless plug there :))

Yeah, it's tough to do right. Professor Anders is one of those that strongly feels that not one single one of us is really doing it right, I mean anyone not born with it in their souls - that all we can manage, whatever instrument we play, we're all just faking it. He's one that thinks entire albums have been made of people just faking it. It's tough playing reggae with such an expert. He includes himself in the faking it category.

Jimmy Cliff - The Harder they Come

I prefer ska on ukulele for its ukulele-esque incessant giddiness. A Message to You Rudy. Slots nicely into The Tide is High. (The old versions, not the covers, BTW). Haven't tried much reggae. Redemption Song. Anything else? No Woman No Cry. No, I think ska is a better fit.

Interesting that very people on this thread have ACTUALLY listed reggae songs...

Top Bottom