In praise of Kiwaya KTS4

pdxuke

Reaction score
Friends:

I've lived with the Kiwaya KTS4 for about a week now. The strings have settled in, and...

It is simply exceptional. The tone, action (thanks MGM) and simple beauty of it takes my breath away.

I love my vintage ukes, I really, really do, but sometimes I get tired of old tuners and the quirks of an 50 to 80 year old instrument. Sometimes I just want ez, state of the art playing. The Kiwaya KTS4 is just that. It is a vintage uke without vintage problems, just like Mike says.

If you are a serious fan of mahogany soprano ukes, save your money and buy one.

I'll do a more formal and actual review sometime. But I had to tell you how impressed I am with this instrument. I've never been more impressed!

Aloha Thom,
Congrats on the new Kiwaya ukulele..and thanks for sharing the info....Happy Strummings....Have fun and enjoy!! MM Stan

Congrats on your new Kiwaya. I own a KTS6 and a KTS7 and they are amazing instruments. You'll have to travel a long distance to hear better sounding sopranos.

I agree Thom...Kiwaya's present themselves as bonding experiences...my KTS-7 is exceptional in every way:D

I've got a KTS-4 and I agree with everything you said. I bought mine after returning a 1930's Martin style 1 that I bought on Ebay. The guy selling it said it had no cracks and was in original condition. When I received it , the bridge was broken off and glued badly ,you could see daylight underneath. This turned me off from vintage ukes ( for a while) . I paid almost 700 for this uke and it came from a music store from a guy who is supposed to be a writer for guitar mags. Anyway, I think new is the way to go. My Kts-4 is perfect for me.

I agree Thom...Kiwaya's present themselves as bonding experiences...my KTS-7 is exceptional in every way:D

I feel the same way about my KTC-1, and I like the bit more room between the frets, makes some of my chords cleaner. If I could only keep 1 uke, it would be the 1.

I praise it as well, but do not own one yet. I'm very interested in that brand, and know that it is good, BUT there are 3 models that I cannot seem to make a decision on: KTS4, KTS 5 and the KTC solid concert model. The KTS 4 has such simple and nice clean lines and sounds tops! Was it the Martin shape that did it for you? Was it the mahogany, the fretboard, the brand ? The confusion comes from a very experienced member on this BB who owns a KTS4 who wrote,that he had bought the KTS 5 instead, because of the extended fretboard, so I like that one too (peer influence) and then there is the solid mahogany concert (again influenced by a very able uke performer). So the sound is not an issue, the workmanship is not an issue, but if I am going to shell out the lolly, I would like to spend it on the right(est) one..... Returning to the praising thread of the Kiwaya, what made you choose that particular model, and did you try out any of the other Kiwaya models? I am not trying to hi-jack your thread.

Never tried any other models but the KTC-1 I own. had a Martin 0 and side by side they sounded very I similar [both sounded great] . got the concert because I didn't have that size and wanted a little more room between the frets than a soprano, plus it was used [barely] here on UU. Would love to get my hands on a KTC-2, but new it would force a divorce, so I'll bide my time and keep looking for a used one. In a soprano, the KTS-5, 6, or 7 would be hard to beat [imho] , but I'm sure any Kiwaya would be great, don't think you could go wrong with any. Haven't heard of anyone who has one that doesn't love it.

or maybe this if I win the lottery

http://ukuleleacademy.bigcartel.com/product/kiwaya-km-kc-master-model-koa-concert-serial-10

Last edited:
I'm starting to want one of those Kiwaya longneck sopranos something awful! Don't encourage me :)

I know what you mean with the vintage instruments. When I first started playing I thought I was a vintage Martin girl all the way, but every one I encountered had issues.

The KTS 4 has such simple and nice clean lines and sounds tops!

+1. Exactly that plain & simple elegance is what it made for me.

KTS4-full-back.jpg

Regs
Mike

I praise it as well, but do not own one yet. I'm very interested in that brand, and know that it is good, BUT there are 3 models that I cannot seem to make a decision on: KTS4, KTS 5 and the KTC solid concert model. The KTS 4 has such simple and nice clean lines and sounds tops! Was it the Martin shape that did it for you? Was it the mahogany, the fretboard, the brand ? The confusion comes from a very experienced member on this BB who owns a KTS4 who wrote,that he had bought the KTS 5 instead, because of the extended fretboard, so I like that one too (peer influence) and then there is the solid mahogany concert (again influenced by a very able uke performer). So the sound is not an issue, the workmanship is not an issue, but if I am going to shell out the lolly, I would like to spend it on the right(est) one..... Returning to the praising thread of the Kiwaya, what made you choose that particular model, and did you try out any of the other Kiwaya models? I am not trying to hi-jack your thread.

For me it was the desire to have a modern uke that stands up to the quality of my vintage ukes, without the special babying that vintage ukes require. I know I should not compare ukes, cause each one is what it is, but I feel like getting this KTS4 is what it must have been like to buy a brand new Martin O in the 30s.

I don't do a lot of high fret work, so the 4 was fine instead of the 5. And the 4 was in the budget, and the 7 was not.

I'm starting to want one of those Kiwaya longneck sopranos something awful! Don't encourage me :)

I know what you mean with the vintage instruments. When I first started playing I thought I was a vintage Martin girl all the way, but every one I encountered had issues.

I know what you mean. All my vintage ukes are in really good shape, but all have the same issue--the tuning pegs are finicky. If I could change them out without destroying the value of the uke I'd do it, because having new pegs on them would be sweet.

I've had my KTS-4 for almost a year now, and I agree that it is an exceptional ukulele.

I took possession of a KTS-4 not too long ago and I love it too. The build quality is outstanding and the intonation is spot on all the way up the neck. I can't say enough good things about this instrument.

I didn't care for the stock Fremont Black Line strings for finger picking. On this particular uke they had too much "raspiness" when finger picking (the body of the uke transmits string sounds really well). I moved over to Worth CM strings and the sound is cleaner.

I took possession of a KTS-4 not too long ago and I love it too. The build quality is outstanding and the intonation is spot on all the way up the neck. I can't say enough good things about this instrument.

I didn't care for the stock Fremont Black Line strings for finger picking. On this particular uke they had too much "raspiness" when finger picking (the body of the uke transmits string sounds really well). I moved over to Worth CM strings and the sound is cleaner.

That was the one thing I did not like about the Kiwaya...the Fremont strings. Like you, I have Worth CM's on it now and it truly sings!

I just bought one and received it yesterday. It is a fantastic instrument. Of course, everything that everyone says is true. It is unbelievably resonant.

In the last few years I have had a couple of different custom ukes from some top makers. I sold them off because there were things that I felt they were lacking. This instrument blows them away. It is definitely a keeper.

Mine came in this week. I've been truly blown away by it! Changed the strings to CM and it sings. I plan on trying Worth Browns and Living Waters as well.

Pics:
4920987E-4DFA-4B9B-97D5-D12BBDE9AEAB-5567-0000050C0EBB0CFA.jpg

B42F5BB4-7CF9-4E50-A652-30EE815FD0AC-5567-0000050C14EEA50F.jpg

I love mine too. It's a beautiful instrument. Was lucky enough to get a used one in perfect condition on ebay. I have Living Waters on mine now and it really sings out.

Top Bottom