Love/Lull Relationship with my Uke!

dwayne

Reaction score
This isn't so much of a problem, but I thought I might share this with ya'll. :D

I have times whereby I find myself unable to put down the ukulele after long playing because I'm so incredibly mad about playing it. Like there was once I had to head out. Was playing the uke wayyy past the time I was supposed to leave the home. When I finally had the willpower to let go of it, I rushed back to my room a min later, just so that I could strum the ukulele one last time and hear it's sweet melody LOL.

Yet there are other times I JUST CAN'T find the willpower to pick up my ukulele. I really want to play it, but it feels like taking it out of the bag is just too big a deal for me to handle.. oddly enough.

Now I'm pretty sure everyone goes through that. What I'm wondering though, is whether there's a scientific explanation behind that. Or are we just lazy? hahaha.

I'm yet to experience a lull!! I have moments when I get a wee bit bored of playing the same ol' tunes, but never a lull.
As for science, I can't imagine inspiration can be quantified!!

Phil

Happens to me too. I go through phases.

I play a few other instruments, and I'll get obsessed with one for a while, setting the others aside. After a month or a few, I'll start to focus on another one. But, I eventually get around to them all again.

It's not bad because I'm enjoying myself and having fun. But at the same time because it interrupts focus and I feel like my playing doesn't improve as quickly or as much as I'd like.

Jason

Been playing for a year and a bit, and any lulls are forced on me by life. Though, that being said, I don't need to strum it as I leave a room. Maybe it's just that your ukulele roller coaster is a bit crazier.

Yes, indeed, you are not alone with this issue. When it happens to me, I find rejuvenation through learning a new song. It's particularly nice if you can re-discover an old tune you love, but have forgotten about.

Seems to me that it's probably because I have too much time (relative to you guys), giving me a chance to spend time on other forms of leisure, that I experience a lull..

Jason; Its enviable that you can play so many instruments though! When in doubt, just place enjoyment above all else! :D

Ingrate; totally agree with you!

Yes, indeed, you are not alone with this issue. When it happens to me, I find rejuvenation through learning a new song. It's particularly nice if you can re-discover an old tune you love, but have forgotten about.

That is definitely the case. I am in a lull right now, because there haven't been any songs that I have really been interested in learning. I need to listen to more music. :)

I have too many interests, I can't decide and want to do them all at the same time, so sometimes I don't do any of them and busy myself with a necessary but mindless task like vacuuming. And spend entirely too much time on UU and my UAS.

I get so sore and tired from work that sometimes the couch and a good book is all I can handle. I think about getting home to play, but after dinner, dishes, whatever miscellaneous chores, walking the dog, the couch looks even better. I don't play well on my back. :/

Top Bottom