KoAloha Pineapple Sunday v KoAloha Tenor KTM 00

freackykit

Reaction score
Ok maybe the youtube vids do not bring out the sound of these ukes to their true potential.

Has anyone out there got both to compare and willing to share how they compare in feel and tone?

A sound clip playing the same ditty would be awesome :)
Chris

Ok maybe the youtube vids do not bring out the sound of these ukes to their true potential.

Has anyone out there got both to compare and willing to share how they compare in feel and tone?

A sound clip playing the same ditty would be awesome :)
Chris

i do not have a sound clip but I have played both these instruments. The PS has a unique sound that really isn't compareable to another uke. The PS is loud and some say Bell like tone. I thought it had a very clear sound. I ended up trading my PS for a kamaka tenor b/c i did not like the laser etched top that KoAloha was using at that time.

My favorite tenor I have ever played is a KoAloha tenor. I desire to own one but i want a crown bridge. I do own a sceptre (tenor) and it is second to none of all the ukes I have played in my life.

i do not have a sound clip but I have played both these instruments. The PS has a unique sound that really isn't compareable to another uke. The PS is loud and some say Bell like tone. I thought it had a very clear sound. I ended up trading my PS for a kamaka tenor b/c i did not like the laser etched top that KoAloha was using at that time.

My favorite tenor I have ever played is a KoAloha tenor. I desire to own one but i want a crown bridge. I do own a sceptre (tenor) and it is second to none of all the ukes I have played in my life.

I forgot to mention the feel. both ukes have a very well balanced. The PS has a strange but comfortable hold. It is hard to explain until you can hold it.

I don't own a tenor but I do own a PS. I agree with John's characterization of it, it is a very unique tone and clear sound. To be honest with you though if you are only going to get one of them, I would vote for the tenor. The PS is a very unusual uke and a fantastic addition to a collection but I wouldn't make it your only or primary high end ukulele. I am happy I have mine, but it is not my go to uke...I play my tenor ukulele almost 99% of the time compared to the PS. So if you want an everyday ukulele, choose the tenor. If you want a cool, unique collector item, the PS is great for that.

Good luck to you...

I'm a bit surprised. I know it is all subjective, but I thought the Kamaka Tenors were generally held in higher esteem than the KoAlohas. I know the KoAloha concerts have been praised a lot, but not their tenors. So I am surprised that having a Kamaka that would be looking to a KoAloha.

I'm a bit surprised. I know it is all subjective, but I thought the Kamaka Tenors were generally held in higher esteem than the KoAlohas. I know the KoAloha concerts have been praised a lot, but not their tenors. So I am surprised that having a Kamaka that would be looking to a KoAloha.

I no longre have my kamaka. I traded it for an ana'ole spruce top. I tried to get specialmike to trade me his koaloha tenor for my kamaka and he wouldn't. Even though the kamaka sounded fantastic and had curly koa and a p/u. Those KoAlohas are a special uke.

I played the PS while in Bounty Music in Maui and yes it does have a unique feel to it and the sound is very bright. The PS did not overwhelm me, especialy for the price. I had wanted to get the KoAloha Tenor but there were none to be had. Then I tried the Kamaka Tenor and it was love right away!!!

Last edited:
I have both, an older (2007) crown bridge tenor and a PS. I would agree with John's description of the PS. It's sound is very bright and clear. The tenor has a deeper, fuller, more resonant tone. It is a bit louder than the PS, but both project very well.

The PS is very comfortable to play. It really is a superconcert, with a smaller body and the tenor scale. For some reason the string tension on the tenor is greater, even though I have both of them strung with the same strings, Worth clears.

I have both, an older (2007) crown bridge tenor and a PS. I would agree with John's description of the PS. It's sound is very bright and clear. The tenor has a deeper, fuller, more resonant tone. It is a bit louder than the PS, but both project very well.

The PS is very comfortable to play. It really is a superconcert, with a smaller body and the tenor scale. For some reason the string tension on the tenor is greater, even though I have both of them strung with the same strings, Worth clears.

Dana, you have a koaloha tenor and a Kamaka, how do they compare to you? I know I prefer the Koaloha tenor but that is just me.

I think it depends on the individual ukulele. I love my Kamaka tenor more than any other thing I own...it is my prized possession. I have played KoAloha tenors that sounded better than it did, and KoAloha tenors that didn't match it. I have also played Kamaka tenors I didn't like as much, and I'm sure there are other Kamaka tenors that far surpass it (Aldrine's Mika and Jake's come to mind).

I think in a blind head to head test, out of ten KoAlohas vs. ten Kamakas, the KoAlohas would probably win 6 or 7 of them. They have a great tone and projection. But that doesn't make them right for everyone. I wouldn't trade my Kamaka tenor for any KoAloha tenor in the world. And you have folks like John who feel the complete opposite of me, and prefer the KoAloha by far.

You also have other factors as well...while I think pure sound is probably a win by KoAloha (generally) and they have the edge in customer service (although I can't say enough about how great Chris Kamaka is and was in working on my uke), and warranty (though the long delays for Kamaka repairs could also be because they have 94 years of ukes to service, compared to KoAloha's roughly 15). They also are extremely innovative (from their bracing, to their design elements).

For koa wood grain quality and curl and historical significance and so forth, I think Kamaka has the edge. I say it all the time, KoAlohas are made in Hawaii and Kamakas ARE Hawaii. I also prefer the feel and dimensions of the Kamaka -- though that is entirely subjective. But what is right for me, is not right for John, and may not be right for you. That is why it just depends on the individual person and the individual uke I think. Both Ks are wonderful ukes, and both have their fanboys and fangirls.

Last edited:
Perhaps Koaloha SuperConcert is a good option

I have a koaloha superconcert. This uke has a little of each sound. It is not so much clear as a pinneaple sunday, and not so warm and deep sound as Koaloha tenor. It is as if it was a small tenor body, with tenor or PS scale. I love mine. Very balanced sound.

I own a KoAloha tenor with crown bridge and have played haolejohn's PS. Both had great playing action, but the standard tenor felt and sounded more traditionally uke-like. Given a choice between the two my personal preference would be the standard tenor. The PS had a somewhat shorter sustain and more note separation, and I prefer a little more resonant and legato tone on a tenor. Now, haolejohn's Sceptre was a different story altogether. What a cannon.

I've owned a Sceptre tenor and I currently have a KTM-00 and a Pineapple Sunday. They're different ukes for different styles. The PS has an unequalled tone and is very distinct. To me, it's the definition the traditional Koa uke sound and therefore shines at traditional re-entrant tuning songs. The KTM-00 tuned low g is much more guitar-like and lends itself to a broader range of styles.

Did you have some ditty in mind for comparison? No promises but I could try to learn it and do a vid ;)

Dana, you have a koaloha tenor and a Kamaka, how do they compare to you? I know I prefer the Koaloha tenor but that is just me.

John, the Kamaka has a larger body. It is 1/2" longer and the upper and lower bouts are 1/4" wider, although the waist is the same on the two. The Kamaka is 1/4" deeper as well. Their necks feel and play the same.

As you know, my Kamaka is strung low G while the KoAloha is strung with Worth CT High G. Initially I thought that the Kamaka had more resonance and sustain. But to compare the sound of the two I strummed and picked chords on the C,E, and A strings. I was amazed at how similar they sounded. The sustain and clarity is almost identical.

If I had to choose between the two that I have, it would probably be the Kamaka. Only because of the pickup and the curly koa. But then again, that beautiful ebony crown bridge......:) Fortunately, I don't have to choose.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 56
My ranking would be KoAloha Tenor > KoAloha PS > Kamaka Tenor.

My Kamaka tenor gets extremely little playtime. For whatever reason, I just don't really like it. I really just keep it around because it is a Kamaka. But as people have mentioned, the PS is indeed a very niche sound. It's a fantastic instrument to play, and a lot of fun, but the richness of the tone isn't quite to the level of their tenor. Of course, to each his/her own, and YMMV. But really, all of the above are solidly built and beautiful instruments.

I own a KoAloha tenor with crown bridge and have played haolejohn's PS. Both had great playing action, but the standard tenor felt and sounded more traditionally uke-like. Given a choice between the two my personal preference would be the standard tenor. The PS had a somewhat shorter sustain and more note separation, and I prefer a little more resonant and legato tone on a tenor. Now, haolejohn's Sceptre was a different story altogether. What a cannon.

I agree with Doug here. The PS was cool and I got more complamints on it but i was very happy trading it for that Kamaka. And to be honest, I would have kept that kamaka if I had a different uke to offer in a trade for the spruce top uke I was searching. I really did like my Kamaka. It was the best kamaka I had ever played.

Thanks and Sorry

Thanks for all these informative replies...sorry I didn't get back earlier but work commits me the back end of the week!

I think the answers are more or less of the same genre...both are great ukes and the PS is more distinctive and the tenor more traditional in sound.

As my first high end tenor uke the choice seems to have been made to go with the normal tenor,

Thanks again,

Chris

I
Did you have some ditty in mind for comparison? No promises but I could try to learn it and do a vid ;)

Hey I would gratefully welcome a video between the two even though my mind is more or less made up...share the love as they are both great instruments and it would be a privilege to hear both of them....

As for 'what ditty did I have in mind' play what makes you happy!

If you did get round to doing a video and no pressure, but it would be a great way to end this thread and I'm sure many people as well as me would find it informative,

Chris

OK guys...head swimming a bit at the moment...in uke heaven but just to say the KoAloha Tenor arrived today...awesome,

Chris

OK guys...head swimming a bit at the moment...in uke heaven but just to say the KoAloha Tenor arrived today...awesome,

Chris

Bet we don't hear from you for awhile... Enjoy! Sweet uke!

Top Bottom