Saddest Kamaka EVER!!!

freshthreat

Reaction score
I was digging through a box of old broken ukuleles at my local music shop (for cigar box ukulele parts) and came across this sad little guy...I almost wanted to cry! It obviously had been left in water for a long long time. It was a gold label too! Arg!! :eek: :(
sadkamaka.jpg

Save it! Save it now!

That'll buff out!

Aloha Freshthreat,
I am a Kamaka lover...hate to say this man...it's far beyond salvageable....you could possiblely do it yourself as a project..but if the neck warped, scrap it for parts....
If you have alot of free time and money, it may be a good learning experience to dab into it...let me say, if it's been soaking in the water...you're in for a big challenge...
Good Luck and Keep us informed on what you plan to do...Thanks for sharing, even tho it was hurtful to see.....MM Stan..

I agree with Stan. If its been sitting in water the neck is most likely warped. You might want to fix it up as a decorative piece.

Oh, those will buff right out.

Poor uke. You could always get it as a gag gift for a fellow uke player. "Hey! I got you a Gold Label Kamaka Pineapple!" - yeah....

Ahhhhhh, so this is one of the Gold Label Kamakas that helps keep the Kamakas' prices bouyant!!

Ouch.... Yeah, that's a shame.. Put a perch on it and make a bird house out of it.. Other than that, I would "try" to repair it as a project like mentioned. But I'm afrade it will never be the way it should be.

The project that you would have to undergo reminds me of that old philosophy about the boat, where they replaced every part over time, and now they're wondering if it's the same boat anymore. Basically what I'm getting at is, you'd have to replace so much on it that by the time you're done, would it even be the same ukulele anymore?

Holy crap. Is that at the Folk Shop?

It's pretty mangled, but it would look amazing as a wall-hanger. Especially if you can paint the pineapple design on it and antique it.

I'm curious as to how what would be the point of sending it to Kamaka? Can they unwarp wood? I don't think so, no. I'm sure they're great at restoration, but that wood is well and truly cooked.

IIRC from the factory tour, the glue Kamaka uses to glue on the neck is water soluable so maybe the neck can be removed and replaced. Those huge cracks in the soundboard look nasty, though...

I like the suggestion of handpainting it to look like the pineapple and use it as a decoration.

I'm curious as to how what would be the point of sending it to Kamaka? Can they unwarp wood? I don't think so, no. I'm sure they're great at restoration, but that wood is well and truly cooked.

I was just kidding. It is pretty obvious that uke is done.

It's not done. I still think it could give a nice bird family an awesome home. I think it would make a cool birdhouse..

Yeah the owner showed it to me as an example of "just how bad it could get"...totally shot...nothing salvageable. I love all of your guy's responses though! Gave me some good laughs!;):D:D

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were just being very optimistic. I think it's overdone. "Honey, I left the uke on simmer for 30 years. Is that too long?" :)

Your post was witty enough that you win a Kamaka vintage pineapple uke! PM me your address! ;) (Seriously, someone buy this, and send it to a random UU member. Then it be regifted each year and become a festive holiday tradition.)

Top Bottom