PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk ukulele anyone?

ukuDaily
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
So, in my stumbling around the net for my blog, I found this ukulele. If I had discretionary money, I would so buy this, even if it only hung on the wall. It is so cool.

The TwoCan Uke (http://www.theukerofoz.com/For%20Sale%20Page.html)

...scroll to the bottom of the page.

mm stan
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Aloha UkeDaily,
Thank-You for sharing...intresting design...wonder how the two cans are attached...would mind seeing the back..to find out...what a creative guy whoever built it.....Happy Strummings, MM Stan

swervy jervy
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
that site needs sound files

Teek
01-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I love steampunk EVERYTHING! Too cool, I like the electrics too. Thanks for sharing. :)

beergeek
01-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Awesome looking uke!

dnewton2
01-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Definatly unique. I would love to hear it.

Think they are Bumblebee tuna cans or chicken of the sea?

Inner Prop
01-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Ok, that's going in my screen saver file.

Tudorp
01-13-2011, 03:01 AM
I love that two can uke. I wouldn't mind messing with that myself. Also, I just finished a small practice amp about that size. I wish I had thought about a coffee can as a housing though, that's pretty cool.

sailboats
01-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Wow, That thing looks Awesome! I want it...if only I could win the Lotto!

Uke Republic
01-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Very cool. I was thinking last night about Steampunk type tuners.

cletus
01-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm digging it. Wonder how it sounds?

Steampunk is kinda trendy around here, I think. I'm too old to be sure, though.:old:

Thanks for sharing.

OldePhart
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Think they are Bumblebee tuna cans or chicken of the sea?

Heh, heh. I can see it now - ukers gathering in coffee shops to argue the relative tonal merits of Starkist vs Bumblebee cans...

John

Chris Tarman
01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
That is a bitchin' thing. I saw Rush this summer, and they had kind of a Steampunk thing going on with their equipment... they generally have some sort of joke involving Geddy Lee's "amps".. in the past, they've had clothes driers, vending machines, rotisserie chicken cookers, and the like set up where he would ordinarily have amps (he uses off-stage stuff and runs through the PA). This time, the tour was called The Time Machine Tour, and all of the amps and drums were copper plated and had dials and gauges on them... and shot out steam now and then. It was funny, and very cool-looking. A Steampunk uke would be pretty awesome, but I think I'd rather try to build my own than spend $300 on one. Of course, I am not qualified to build a model airplane, let alone a functioning instrument of any kind....

dnewton2
01-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Heh, heh. I can see it now - ukers gathering in coffee shops to argue the relative tonal merits of Starkist vs Bumblebee cans...

John

I think it is common knowledge that Bumblebee cans are mellower then their brighter counterpart Starkist. :) The real crapshot is the generic cans of tuna.

jacothedog
01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Want~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!

redheadedali
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
That is seriously cool.

Chris Tarman
01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I think it is common knowledge that Bumblebee cans are mellower then their brighter counterpart Starkist. :) The real crapshot is the generic cans of tuna.

A lot of Bumblebee cans have some nice figuring though.

cletus
01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
A lot of Bumblebee cans have some nice figuring though.

True, very true. Starkist cans have that "Charlie" tone that I crave, though.
I'm curious to hear what cat food cans sound like...

OldePhart
01-15-2011, 06:21 AM
True, very true. Starkist cans have that "Charlie" tone that I crave, though.
I'm curious to hear what cat food cans sound like...

I've heard that the tone of cat food cans is kind of scratchy.

(Wonder how long we can keep this going...)

John

cletus
01-15-2011, 06:29 AM
I've heard that the tone of cat food cans is kind of scratchy.

Also true in many cases.

The right kind of fan strum produces a 'gut-tural' effect, according to some accounts.

Chap
01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
I asked the builder for a sound sample, and actually, it sounds really good!

ukeeku
01-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I have played this uke twice. It is a ton of fun and sounds pretty good. All of his stuff is made to sound good plugged in. His amps are also a ton of fun. Oz is actually a very accomplished luthier, he just likes to push boundries.

CelticKnot
09-23-2011, 04:28 AM
This is a work of a true artist, but the modern Philips-head screws should be replaced with the older slot-style and counter-sunk heads should only be used when flush-mounted. Brass or black-finish screws would look much better. Even so, the design is AWESOME!

Tudorp
09-23-2011, 05:20 AM
I have thought about doing a steam punk uke using parts out of my old vintage player piano. But as far as cans, I just like the more mellow tone that Alpo dog food cans produce. But, none the less, I am soon planning to dismantle my 1920's player piano that has allot of air bellows, brass fittings chains and gears, etc that might be pretty cool on a uke for that look..

raecarter
09-23-2011, 06:12 AM
I wonder if the tone of those cans open up with age?