New Martin S1 Announced at NAMM

Gmoney

Reaction score
Last edited:
That looks really nice and sounds amazing!!!!

Most interesting, look forward to full review, but I am already wanting....

Always wanted a Martin soprano, but the S-0 didn't do it for me. I think I'm excited about the S-1.
Made in Mexico - that can be good these days.

My first impression from that sneak peak is that it's potentially a winner there. Looking forward to when the local Martin Guitar Mecca decides to carry it. It took 'em a year to carry the 0XK. Maybe it's just that it would be nice to actually audition a decent uke first before buying.

*Disclaimer* I love Martin ukes.

It's nice to see that Martin is going to be making a Kiwaya KTS-5 replica.

I fail to see/hear how this is really any different than my S-O that I love so much... Other than a few more frets and some fret dots?
Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
"It's nice to see that Martin is going to be making a Kiwaya KTS-5 replica." That's funny, Chris.

Something else to buy now. Under $300.00!!! I think Martin may want folks to stop buying Kiwayas. Kiwaya may have to lower its prices. You'll get that KTS-7 for, like, $400.00 Chris.

I fail to see/hear how this is really any different than my S-O that I love so much... Other than a few more frets and some fret dots?
Cheers,
Skottoman

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like Martin may have improved the finish on the S1 a bit. Like you, I am one who thinks the SO Uke was nice, but my only contact with it is my friend from SEUkers (JoeUke) who spent some time "improving" the finish on his. His plays wonderfully.

Still, for under $300 the S1 looks to be a great addition to compete with the Kiwayas, although I would be surprised if its built as well. I'd love to see a good comparison video of them and the vintage ones, as well as a Ken Timms.

Where does it say this uke will be priced under $300? I have seen the suggested retail on it to be $499.

My first impression from that sneak peak is that it's potentially a winner there. Looking forward to when the local Martin Guitar Mecca decides to carry it. It took 'em a year to carry the 0XK. Maybe it's just that it would be nice to actually audition a decent uke first before buying.
I know what you mean. I think only about 5 people have even seen an OXK so this new one will be years in the works.
I'll bet they won't keep track of serial numbers just like the SO. Seems like they don't care about that part.

From Ukeeku: New Martin S1 Announced at NAMM

http://ukeeku.com/2011/01/13/new-martin-s1-announced-at-namm/

Sound samples, photos, etc. on Ukeeku site.

Martin's own details page here: http://martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=w&m=S1 Uke

This NAMM is looking to be a great one for the uke community - lots of new ukes to feed our UAS!

Thank you for posting this. I was so busy and tired I forgot to bring my uu family up to speed. I will get more info out today aboot NAMM

Always wanted a Martin soprano, but the S-0 didn't do it for me. I think I'm excited about the S-1.
Made in Mexico - that can be good these days.

In the interest of fairness, I finally DID find a nice sounding Martin S-O in a Sam Ash store yesterday. So that's one of about 7 or 8 I've tried..

Top Bottom