new uke

coryfor

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a new uke but until i become more skilled at playing i wanted to purchase a uke no more than $250. I need some ideas about the best ukes i can get for this price or below. I have been looking at the Ibanez UEW20SG Ukulele EW Style Concert and the Ibanez UEW30RWE EW Concert Ukulele and others similar to this, I saw a couple of forums that had reviews on these and they were all mixed reviews. If anyone has any reviews, advice or suggestions on these or any other ukes in this price range it would be awesome!! thanks

I don't think you need to look further than Mainland or Ohana ukuleles. In this price range, they are going to be solid wood, which will be miles better than the Ibanez laminates.

Ditto the Mainland Ukes. I just got a Mango Concert in matte as my second Uke, and it's fantastic.

Ok, first let's get my rant out of the way :) you do not need to be "good enough" for the ukulele, the ukulele must be good enough for you! You're not going to "ruin" a good uke by not being a skilled player, but a poor uke may well "ruin" your chances of becoming a skilled player!

Okay, now that we have that out of the way I can echo the others who've recommended Mainland ukes. The playability of my Mainland mango tenor is actually a tad better than my KoAloha concert, though the latter is louder and has a slight edge in tone. I've also heard good things about some of the Ohanas but I've never played one.

John

I own an Ibanez UEW20SG, and I like it fine, but it's restrained and quiet compared to the other concerts I own. For your price range, I recommend the Kala KA-SSTU-C Concert Travel Uke. It's thin, light, & has a surprisingly great, open tone. Musicguymic sells them inexpensively. Please don't buy a uke without checking out the Kala models; I own two, & find that they sound and play better than the Ohanas (of which I own two, too). I have not tried the Mainlands.

Aloha coryfor,
Welcome to the UUF ....Have you heard of the KPK's???? Have fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

I would stay away from the Ibanez if you can. Mainland and Ohana are excellent choices in your price range.

+1 Mainland

(btw - have you bought that mainland yet??) lol ;-)

I ordered 2 Kalas and returned them both. I wasn't happy w/ the tone. The second one has better tone but the defects on the neck gets to me. The salesman could have told me over the phone but he didn't so I had to return it. I'm waiting patiently for a Mainland Red Cedar right now. My advice would be to go and play it first before you buy if you live near a uke store. I'm out of luck since there's no uke store within a 60 miles radius. I think Mainland will be my very first UKE. GL to you TC.....and me also. heh.

Don't listen to these people. Get the Ibanez....

nah, just kidding. Mainland is talked up here for a reason. You will not be sorry. I'm partial to the mahogany.

Top Bottom