Kamaka releases extended neck soprano concert and 18" scqale tenors at NAMM

MGM

Reaction score
Kamaka has finally released their latest models to their standards of all these years. the extended neck soprano, extended neck concert and 18" scale tenors. Here are some pictures of the concert.

272.jpg

273.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to sound really dumb here, but how is 18" different than the scale Kamaka currently has on their tenors?

Thanks for the update, I looooove NAMM updates!

Aloha Mike,
Looks sweet....I like the sail headstock....it's really tempting...is there a KUA...around here...Kamaka Ukulele Anonymous...arh...MM Stan

Oh wow...I love the look!!! Just need the $$$$

It would be a lot better for my bank account if Kamaka didn't make these. I love the sail headstock and the super-concert looks fantastic.

I would love to try these as the tenors I own also have an 18" scale.

The longer scale has its good and bad points. The longer scale equals higher tension which can be good as it seems to give a tighter more focussed sound. I like the responsiveness.

However, with the higher tension comes and give and take between sound and comfort. This has caused me to go on a journey of trying to find the right strings.

John

The sail head superconcert looks awesome. Very cool that they're brining those back out of special order.

Oh Gumby headstock AND no pesky Schaller _friction_ tuners with their stupid cotton.

What is the scale length on the long neck concerts?

That's strange. The standard, pineapple and concert longnecks have been for sale at puapua for months:
http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/hf1l.html
I wonder why they are annouced as new models now.

I think most of the long necks were special orders and now they are regularly availible models, got that from the UU NAMM coverage. I think the pineapple longnecks mostly went to Japan also. Not sure about Puapua having them but they are in Hawaii so it would make sense for them to get things before other dealers (Not MGM though).

That's strange. The standard, pineapple and concert longnecks have been for sale at puapua for months:

I went to their website, looking for the long neck concert with the sail headstock. Looks like the only one with the sail headstock is the concert. Wonder if they do the kind of set up that MGM does?

I went to their website, looking for the long neck concert with the sail headstock. Looks like the only one with the sail headstock is the concert. Wonder if they do the kind of set up that MGM does?

I noticed that, too. MGM had the sail headstock super concert (with geared tuners) up for sale up on FMM. I'd contact him if you're interested in buying. In fact, it might still be listed there. I'm not sure those PuaPua pics are acurate. Not saying they don't have those models, but maybe the pics aren't up to snuff.

Also, I'm no expert, but I have to think a ukulele as high end as a Kamaka doesn't really need much in the way of a set up. If a Kamaka isn't leaving the factory set to play like a dream, I don't what is. Again, I'm only assuming here.

Those have also been available direct from Kamaka for some time now, too, but have always been special order. But the extended neck concert had the standard headstock, not the sail, which always looked a little off to me...

As for set-up - both of my Kamakas have come to me from private parties, without any special setup, and both played like a dream from the moment I opened the box. My soprano had never been played before - the party I bought it from said it came directly from the factory, so if that's any indication, they come out of the factory ready to play.

Top Bottom