Awesome Ukulele story

bueller

Reaction score
Nothing of importanance, but this happened to me yesterday and I was laughing all the way home.
I stopped at a local guitar store last night looking for some uke books. Since any ukulele calls my name I had to start messing with a few displays they had. At the display over from me was a teenager just jamming away on an electric guitar - and pretty good at it as well. Well I started playing some basic cords - since I've only been playing for about a year. You would have thought someone died as soon as I started playing. This teenager just stops in the middle of his jam session and just looks over at me with his mouth hanging open. Like he never imagined hearing something good coming out of the ukulele. He then says to me, "you know how to play that thing?" "A little bit" I replied. He follows up with, "do you mind showing me a couple chords on there?". So I oblige. After a few minutes I found what I was looking for and checked out. The entire time this teenager had abandonded his electric guitar and was now jamming away on the ukulele.
Awesome.

Aloha bueller, Great story, thanks for sharing. That's one way to spread the Aloha Spirit! He probably bought one or is thinking of buying one. Another one hooked!!.......WAY TO GO!!!!................BO............

Sign another one up! Sounds like the cult of ukulele joy grabbed him.....the ukulele works in mysterious ways! Nice story Bueller, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I didnt realize until starting to play ukulele recently that ukes are very cool with the younger crowd right now.
Who wouda thunk it?

Thanks for sharing that bueller, great story. I bet that teenager dreamt of playing ukulele the whole night. I know I would :D

Awesome.. so great when you can inspire someone like that.. not to mention fun!
Everyone needs a little warm fuzzy every once in awhile!

Aloha Bueller,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and your cool story...It must have made you feel good inspiring another person....I'm sure he appricated it very much!! Happy Strummings! MM Stan

Cool story.....another infected uke player!!!!

I liked that story. My sister tells people I play really good on the ukulele. That's great considering I still t hink I am a novice; however,...... sometimes... more and more...... each day a little more is added.

I know enough to raise eyebrows.

That's a very cool story!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

WTG. I bought my daughter a uke for Christmas, and she loves it!
One child at a time...

It wasn't my playing that moved him....like I said, I think he was just amazed someone picked it up and started playing.

But it was funny to see him lit up like that.

What would you bet the kid walked out of the store with an ukulele? By next week, he'll have two.

Sometimes you just find your instrument. It's inspiring to see it happen. I hope he's able to get one.

Hahah that's great!! Rack up the uke players cause we need more of them! I've had an encounter like that before only when I was playing regular guitar in Guitar Center and a guy sitting next to me started harmonizing on his guitar with my songs. How funny is that!! I always love going to the guitar stores and interacting with others.

It is great to hear of young people getting involved. Reminds me of how they have came on so strong in the bluegrass scene.

Wish I'd gotten that reaction when I was playing around in the music store the other day... I got a few people watching me surreptitiously and one guy who came up to me and seemed to find it everlastingly amusing that I was playing an ukulele in an overwhelmingly guitar-oriented shop (or, rather, was getting ready to - i had just picked it up, and was getting used to the larger size and fretboard before I began doing anything more than tentative playing). He was laughing and interrupted me to point at me, then the ukulele, and then mimic strumming either mockingly or incredulously (or both), I couldn't decide... I don't think he spoke very much English.
Though, his laughter might have had more to do with the fact that some people think I look much younger than twenty (twelve is a common guess), and the uke looked just the right size for me, amongst all the racks and racks of guitars.

It made me wish I was a little further along in my ukuleleing skills, though. I felt like he didn't take me or the instrument seriously, or, rather, respectfully...

Top Bottom