Salvaged cypress for build??

ucityuker

Reaction score
I live in Louisiana and recently found an ad for some cypress boards that had been salvaged from some really old houses. I was just curious as to whether or not this wood is worthy of lutherie. Back? Sides? Neck? Any thoughts on this?

No reason why you can't use it for back & sides.
It's used a lot for flamenco guitars originally because it was cheep,
now unfortunately getting rather expensive but has a wonderful aroma that lasts for years.

No reason why you can't use it for back & sides.
It's used a lot for flamenco guitars originally because it was cheep,
now unfortunately getting rather expensive but has a wonderful aroma that lasts for years.

cool. I plan to go look at it soon. It's going for $2.75 per BF. Think I might try and find a nice q-sawn board. I expect it all to be flat sawn since it's so old and was used on a house for framing and not to be seen, although I may be pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the input. :D

My favorite guitar has cypress back & sides - sounds great (and yes, smells fantastic)

I think there's an all cypress uke out there somewhere - recent build by a respected builder - can't remember who...

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll update this thread with pics if and/or when I decide to buy some.

I've built an all Cypress including neck 000 steel string guitar. Used 2 Carbon Fiber 1/8" x 3/8" rods plus a double action truss rod in the neck. Sounds great and has stood up just fine after 5 years.

Look for 2X10 or wider boards with a big portion of the pith in the center. Either side of the pith will be mostly quartered and can be resawn at an angle to acheive 90 degree grain. I have some old growth sinker Cypress with super dense growth ring counts, pulled out of the basin by Henderson but have not considered using it for an instrument until your threads here and on OLF.

Look for 2X10 or wider boards with a big portion of the pith in the center. Either side of the pith will be mostly quartered and can be resawn at an angle to acheive 90 degree grain. I have some old growth sinker Cypress with super dense growth ring counts, pulled out of the basin by Henderson but have not considered using it for an instrument until your threads here and on OLF.

Cool. Be sure and post pics. I follow all of the ukes on this site and can't wait to see that one. :D

Top Bottom