What do you all think of the K-wave?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what you all think of the Kiwaya K-wave. It doesn't get much attention, I guess because it's discontinued. Such a neat little uke!

015-1.jpg

I always thought that they were rather fun looking. On the other hand, it seems like guitar envy to me.

Aloha Natalie,
It's still looks in mint condition...you took good care of it...I guess you Kamaka needs a buddy to hang out with...and what a beauty too !!
I like the design, and some can play them quite well as I used to see on You Tube... it looks like a "Keeper" to me...any chance or seeing a
video you playing it?? he he....always can ask....Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings, MM Stan

What came first, the Tululele or this one? Because it seems a bit of a copy of the custom Tululele. I'd LOVE to have a maple neck and tele headstock on the uke. And while I love the tele shape - it just doesn't work on the uke, does it? It doesn't scale down well. That gives me a sad.

I wonder if it was discontinued because of threats from Fender? Fender has trademarked their headstock shape and that looks close enough to probably be a trademark infringement.

In any case, it's cute enough I 'spose but I really prefer ukes that look like ukes. Enough people ask why I'm playing such a tiny guitar as is... :biglaugh:

John

Telele2a_small.jpg

The K-Waves were made in China on behalf of Kiwaya. Due to the very poor quality more than half of all instruments did not made it up to K-Wave level and had to be selled as blems under the trademark Billy Ray. These blems reached from pure cosmetical issues over acoustically dead boxes to completely unplayable axes. At that time, Fender didn't even think about ukes so I think the headstock was not an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom