My article in "Ukulele Yes!"

that was a great article. thank you, can't wait to give it a try/

Aloha Steve,
Mahalo for the nice and informative write up, enjoyed it very much...btw, do you choose to do your diminshed chord 4
finger positions with a barre or use 4 fingers.. just wondering???? Happy Strummings!! MM Stan...
C#dim7...I see it in old hawaiian music too...and use it quite often usually following up with a hawaiian D7, then G

btw, do you choose to do your diminshed chord 4 finger positions with a barre or use 4 fingers.. just wondering????

I always use four fingers, never a barre.
Interesting. I mostly use four fingers but there are a couple tunes I play where I'm coming into a dim7 from a similarly fingered chord, e.g. a B9 2-3-2-4 (which I barre at the 2nd fret) to a Cdim 2-3-2-3. There I'll just slide my one finger down rather than grabbing the whole chord fresh.

I play very few chords with the same fingering all the time.

great piece mate. I just printed it up for my folder where I collect all my favorite uke articles, newspaper clippings, etc etc :) Thanks, Steve.

Wonderfully instructive!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Keep uke'in',

Great article! Thanks for "turning-on the light" for me!

I have been learning to play on a beginner's uke since retiring the first of the year. I alternate between a couple of beginners books, two 45 minute or so sessions with each book spread through-out the day. I spend a lot of time between the sessions surfing the web for anything I think could help me in the process. I ran across Marcy Maxkar's lesson on 12th Street Rag and just "had to" stop surfing and try to learn to play it. Being a beginner, I was not familiar with "Diminished Chords" other than their existence. It's tone/change-in-pitch sounded "cool" to me.

Your article sold me on the importance and how they can add greatly to the overall music! I went back after reading your article earlier this morning and after listening just a couple of more times realized how much it "drew-me-in" to the music. You hit the nail on the head (several times) ref expecting it after the notes leading up to it and how much better it can make the music sound. (Marcy was using it: C7 then F, then C Diminished [with repeats] then C, D7....)

Again, thanks for sharing!

Nicely done. Love to write one of those myself. Some day........................

Top Bottom